Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Consciousness external to central nervous systems?
Is Consciousness external to central nervous systems?
Below is a link to a paper I wrote detailing the reasons I believe consciousness exists external to central nervous systems. I realize atheists may have a problem with this notion but I don't understand why.

Even if consciousness is external to the CNS, that doesn't mean God exists, certainly not in the religious sense, anyway. However, it may imply that humans and animals are more than just dirt, and I know atheists hate the idea of that.

At any rate, here is my paper. It's short and easy to read. And if you have any comments on it, I'd love to read them.

http://www.veridican.com/paper1.pdf
RE: Is Consciousness external to central nervous systems?
Animals and humans aren't dirt, no atheist will say that. Many atheists are spiritual, believing in external consciousnesses, just because they don't believe in God it doesn't mean they are completely exempt from belief in anything immaterial.

When discussing the Paramecium you have jumped to the conclusion that they have a consciousness similar to a human's. This is not the case, they cannot think as we do, they work on a system of negative feedback, their nucleus senses a need for food and they'll go eat.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
*sigh* Precognition? That's part of your argument?
(August 11, 2010 at 2:42 pm)Edward the Theist Wrote: Below is a link to a paper I wrote detailing the reasons I believe consciousness exists external to central nervous systems. I realize atheists may have a problem with this notion but I don't understand why.

Even if consciousness is external to the CNS, that doesn't mean God exists, certainly not in the religious sense, anyway. However, it may imply that humans and animals are more than just dirt, and I know atheists hate the idea of that.

At any rate, here is my paper. It's short and easy to read. And if you have any comments on it, I'd love to read them.

http://www.veridican.com/paper1.pdf

Your paper is trash. In the 1st paragraph you have attributed the bump & go behavior of a paramecium to consciousness. Apparently this makes my pool skimmer conscious as well because it displays the exact same behavior when "eating" leaves & bugs in my pool.

The rest is even more fail. Dumbass.

p.s. Enjoy your ban.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Just to let everyone know (including Edward if he reads this), but we have banned Edward the Theist, otherwise known as the ex-member and previously *permanently banned* member 'Edward'.

Sorry Eddie, but permanent means permanent. You almost had us fooled, but linking back to the website you created the last time you were here (after your amazing conversion from atheism to theism within the space of about 2 posts) was quite a stupid thing to do. Try harder next time...or don't; you aren't welcome here.
You picked up on that fast, Adrian. Smile Anyway, thanks for your diligence. That's one of the reasons why I love it here.
It's about time. That dude was really harshing my mellow.
Holy crap, I'm at a loss for words.

This paper is the biggest load of donkey shit I've ever read. You make arguments, then back them up by asserting that you saw shit resembling that of a dream you had. If you had submitted this to be published anywhere, I'm pretty sure the return letter would include a recommendation to a mental hospital. For a large part of this you seem to ask questions that are answered pretty conclusively if you had bothered to do any research on the subject at hand.

You have zero references, it's all based on your baseless assertions, and you don't demonstrate any evidence for an external consciousness, nor do you make any relevant connections.

I'm fairly certain you don't even know what Cosmology is.
I can reasonably state that I think we all knew that his idea of conciousness wasn't going to pan out, but I'm glad to see he at least delivered until the ban hammer finally fell.
Not that I can say we're the better for it, but still.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Quote:I believe consciousness exists external to central nervous systems.

Then you are a fucking lunatic.
Ah....I see you are a banned fucking lunatic.

No loss.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3260 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence. Kookaburra 28 4167 March 20, 2018 at 1:27 am
Last Post: haig
  Does religion expose the shortcomings of empathy based moral systems henryp 19 2423 December 2, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Consciousness: Is it seperate from the human body? Hezekiah 127 19036 October 10, 2014 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: psychoslice
  Consciousness Ephrium 23 8506 June 24, 2009 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Darwinian
  What is Consciousness? Edward 23 6785 May 28, 2009 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Darwinian
  atheism and the rising of consciousness josef rosenkranz 3 2802 September 29, 2008 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet