Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Bounce vs Big Bang
Big Bounce vs Big Bang
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/big-bang-big-bo...yptr=yahoo

I thought this was interesting. I just kind of grasped the Big Bang theory. Now, they have a Big Bounce theory. I'm glad they are still working this out. Apparently quantum mechanics saved the previous universe from going into nothingness. it collapsed and a new one was born. That is what I understand from the article. 

From the linked article which is a long read: "In a mathematical model testing their theory, Gielen and Turok found quantum mechanics allowed the universe to bounce from a contracting universe to an expanding one, rather than emanating from an infinite point of broken physics."

They are also working hard at CERN http://phys.org/news/2016-05-physicists-...-revs.html
They are finding a new particle or working toward discovering a new particle. They already found the Higgs Boson four years ago which was very highly anticipated. This new project to find a new particle that they theorize exists is the newest thing happening at CERN.
Czechlervitz30
RE: Big Bounce va Big Bang
So, what do you think about that ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: Big Bounce va Big Bang
The title is too open to jokes. I think I'll watch awhile.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Big Bounce vs Big Bang
(July 14, 2016 at 7:53 pm)Czechlervitz29 Wrote: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/big-bang-big-bo...yptr=yahoo

I thought this was interesting. I just kind of grasped the Big Bang theory. Now, they have a Big Bounce theory. I'm glad they are still working this out. Apparently quantum mechanics saved the previous universe from going into nothingness. it collapsed and a new one was born. That is what I understand from the article. 

From the linked article which is a long read: "In a mathematical model testing their theory, Gielen and Turok found quantum mechanics allowed the universe to bounce from a contracting universe to an expanding one, rather than emanating from an infinite point of broken physics."

They are also working hard at CERN http://phys.org/news/2016-05-physicists-...-revs.html
They are finding a new particle or working toward discovering a new particle. They already found the Higgs Boson four years ago which was very highly anticipated. This new project to find a new particle that they theorize exists is the newest thing happening at CERN.

The universe is also going from a big bang or big bounce to a big riphttp://www.ibtimes.co.uk/big-rip-univers...ts-1508766

[url=http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/big-rip-universe-will-pull-itself-apart-22-billion-years-model-predicts-1508766][/url]
Czechlervitz30
10 years from now, we're going to know more about it than we do now.

I called it right here. Remember that. You'll kudos me in 2026, it's ok. From your flying cars, of course.
The articles you have posted fall a bit in the common science journalism trap of taking one paper from the body of literature of many 100s and running with it, downplaying the context and speculative nature.

The consensus does not point towards big rip and I don't think there is a very compelling underlying physics model that would yield such a divergent expansion.

As to the big bounce, that stuff is really interesting, but Gielen and Turoks paper is not the last word nor provides decisive scientific evidence in favor (In a recent review of bouncing cosmologies, it is one of 150 or so references, and even there more or less a footnote, to give you some context) it may well be one of the more important references because they try to tackle a difficult theoretical problem, the complete quantum physics of the earliest stages of cosmic evolution - they have shown in a speculative simplified scenario that they can handle the quantum physics involved. This approach is still somewhat removed from a realistic picture and involves many unknowns concerning how this conformal model might arise from the physics we know. The "classical" inflation paradigm is still simpler and more well defined and explains the observations, but since it suffers from two conceptual problems (trans planckian effects and past singularities), the big bounce stuff might one day provide a fully developed alternative.

As to the 750 GeV diphoton resonance at the LHC, that would be epic, but the latest rumours dampen the hopes a bit. The ICHEP conference is approaching, and if there is a discovery in the 2016 data, we should be hearing some more concrete rumours. So far all we got was inofficial claims that the signal is not there any more.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Heh, heh, maybe a "big bounce" just looks like that to us when it's really a pair of universes diverging from a point.  It looks like a big bounce to us, but time runs backwards in the other one, so it's a universe expanding just like ours is.

Tongue

Good luck trying to design some lab experiments to prove that CF . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I haven't read this article yet, sorry. But if this universe contracts and bounces back would the universe play out the exact same when bouncing back?
(July 15, 2016 at 6:46 am)RozKek Wrote: I haven't read this article yet, sorry. But if this universe contracts and bounces back would the universe play out the exact same when bouncing back?

The article is not about our universe recontracting but rather our big bang actually being the result of a previous contraction. I don't think it would necessarily play out exactly the same way as its past mirror version, but since we don't know where quantum randomness really comes from, I don't think there is any way to say for sure.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(July 15, 2016 at 7:07 am)Alex K Wrote:
(July 15, 2016 at 6:46 am)RozKek Wrote: I haven't read this article yet, sorry. But if this universe contracts and bounces back would the universe play out the exact same when bouncing back?

The article is not about our universe recontracting but rather our big bang actually being the result of a previous contraction. I don't think it would necessarily play out exactly the same way as its past mirror version, but since we don't know where quantum randomness really comes from, I don't think there is any way to say for sure.

So there must be non causality in order for it to not play out the same as its mirror past?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the Big Bang happen? JairCrawford 50 3549 May 18, 2022 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Just When I Thought I Understood the Big Bang Rhondazvous 19 2511 January 23, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Big Bang and QM bennyboy 1 615 September 10, 2017 at 4:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Teaching the Big bang theory to Preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 5 1590 June 24, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I wrote the first book to teach the Big Bang theory to Preschoolers! GeorgiasTelescope 0 649 June 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: GeorgiasTelescope
  The Science of the Big Bang RiddledWithFear 13 2270 December 7, 2016 at 10:47 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
Smile "Science of the Big Bang" Rough Draft and Secondary Draft RiddledWithFear 4 1641 December 6, 2016 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: RiddledWithFear
  Is there a "Science of the Big Bang" thread on Here? RiddledWithFear 30 4079 December 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Alex K
  What to say when somebody asks about the big bang zak 111 10401 November 15, 2016 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Questions About the Big Bang Rhondazvous 14 2801 July 12, 2016 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous