Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sean Carroll's everyday equation.
Sean Carroll's everyday equation.
Can someone explain this, or know of a resource that does explain it:

[Image: Everyday-Equation.jpg]

It's from Sean Carroll's blog:

http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blog...-equation/
RE: Sean Carroll's everyday equation.
I can tell you all about it and then some. It's a mathematical expression called the "Partition Function" or in quantum field lingo the "generating functional" (written in very short form) that describes the dynamics of the particles and fields of the standard model, as well as spacetime via Einstein's General Relativity.
The Integrals in the front (the big S signs) describe taking the average over all possible ways the fields can change between two moments in time (as quantum things do...) . The <Lambda indicates that we don't have the complete quantum gravity

Edit:it's not quite the generating functional, but almost
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Wow!

Well, I recognise a lot of the symbols, and I see the general idea, but not enough to understand how it all goes together. I can see it's an integral performed over four variables. I can explain how simple integrals work, but I can't explain all of this bad boy Big Grin I'll leave that to Alex.

Integrals are a way of summing continuous data, as opposed to simple addition which sums discrete data.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
That's weird! Even though it's nearly all Greek. it's still nearly all Greek to me.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
So the idea of this description of quantum physics called path integrals is that - simply speaking - nature takes all kinds of paths between two points in time at once, but they are weighted with different probabilities (for the experts: every possible way the fields can evolve in that period of time gets assigned a complex number called the amplitude)
They all get added together via the functional integrals(which, rob, aren't merely integrals over a real variable, but over entire functions, a problematic thing to define properly)
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Wow! Okay. I can't remember whether I covered that, it's been so long since I did my studies. I remember doing integration around a path in the complex plane.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Let's start with the first term in the square bracket, the letter R.

This is a number which stands for the curvature of spacetime (the 4d- equivalent of the Gaussian curvature called the Ricci scalar). Now, the first path integral [Dg] averages over all possible ways spacetime can wobble between two points in time, and they are all assigned a complex number (think of them as arrows in a plane) whose angle is given by the total curvature of that particular way spacetime could wobble and bend. One can show that most of those ways cancel each other out because for every one there is another with a 180° angle relative to it, and what remains are configurations in which the total curvature is minimal.

Those are the solutions you would also get by solving Einstein's equations. But all the other strange ways in which spacetime could bend don't cancel out *exactly*, and this is where the quantum fuzzyness comes in.

(July 23, 2016 at 4:53 am)robvalue Wrote: Wow! Okay. I can't remember whether I covered that, it's been so long since I did my studies. I remember doing integration around a path in the complex plane.

I think many mathematicians don't touch path integrals with a ten foot pole because everything diverges and the continuum limit is fishy etc., but despite the difficulties to make them mathematically rigorous in the continuum limit (meaning you really integrate over all possible real functions) they work perfectly.

Now, this was the description of quantum gravity. The remaining terms in the square bracket describe the standard model of particle physics.

It turns out that one can give a mathematical expression for all the particle fields of the standard model called the "action", which plays a similar role as the curvature R, but for the other fields rather than spacetime. For example, (part of) the second expression F_mu nu F^mu nu , in the case of electromagnetism, is simply the electrical field squared minus the magnetic field squared once you disentangle the formalism. It turns out that if you average over all possible field values but weighted with a complex number whose angle is given by that number El.Field^2-Mag.Field^2, what remains after all else cancels out, are none other than the solutions to Maxwell's equations. Again, the other stuff doesn't cancel out exactly, and that's why photons have quantum superpositions and fuzzyness.

The remainder of the square bracket does the same, but for all the other fields, the fermions (yielding the Dirac equation) and the Higgs (yielding the Klein Gordon equation)

It boggles the mind the stuff you know.
The constraint k<Lambda on the path integral is an interesting issue. It says that one should not average over *all* ways the fields and spacetime can bend and change, but only those above a certain length scale, leaving out those below a certain scale (e.g. the planck scale). This is why this number Lambda is called a "cut off". This takes care of the fact that we don't know how quantum gravity works near the planck scale - what is ordinarily summarized too simplistically as "we don't have a theory of quantum gravity". The above Functional therefore only yields a consistent description of nature at energies below the planck energy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Professor Sean Carroll on Why there is Something... Jehanne 13 1271 August 25, 2018 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Schrodinger versus Dirac equation. Jehanne 3 722 July 29, 2017 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Alex K
  No Big Bang? Quantum equation predicts universe has no beginning TubbyTubby 8 2357 March 3, 2016 at 6:12 pm
  An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics - Carroll & Ostlie TubbyTubby 11 5742 March 4, 2015 at 7:00 am
  Sean Carrolls channel tor 1 686 March 30, 2014 at 11:51 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Einstein's Derivation of the Famous Equation, E=mc2 little_monkey 0 933 June 1, 2013 at 4:50 am
Last Post: little_monkey