Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergency Auxiliary Backup Cat #2 health scare
Emergency Auxiliary Backup Cat #2 health scare
Yeah, my little furry feral friend went to the vet this morning. 

I was vaguely aware his eyes 'looked funny' for a week or so, and last night I was down on the floor trying to load a laser disk in the player (yeah, I'm getting old technology nostalgic again) anyhow, kitty decided I needed help (or more specifically, I needed to look at his butt) while I was trying to get the player working.  Anyhow, eventually he got his front end right in my face, and suddenly I realized one pupil is a barely open vertical slit, and the other one is fully dilated.

Oh, Jesus fucking christ !!

I knew someone (note the past tense) that presented that symptom a few weeks before dying of a brain tumor, so I had a bad go there in regards to the cat.

Called as soon as the vet clinic opened and they had a 10:30 appt, so stuffed cat in the carrier and hauled his ass down there.

Vet looked him over pretty well, and told me there were 2 possibilities; ear mites and an inner ear infection(s) or a brain tumor.  And by checking out his ears, he really thinks it's the ear mites.

I sure hope so, although for what he's going to have to go thru to get rid of them, the cat might vote for the tumor.

Anyhow, we are looking at many months for the eyes to square up if it is the ear mite/ inner ear infection problem.  If it's a brain tumor, we might be looking at something that is going to resolve in a few to several weeks . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: Emergency Auxiliary Backup Cat #2 health scare
I hope he pulls through ok mate.
Vorls, I went through that with mine just now.
He was 24 hrs away from being put down.
It was ear mites. He's lost half his fur on his ears from scratching.
4 visits to the vet and 2 weeks on antibiotics and he's back to b his normal cheeky self.
Good luck man.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Vet cleaned cat's ears out and boy he didn't think much of that.

Vet said ear mites can even cause convulsions. What we have so far is bad enough.

Cat is exhausted, he's sleeping off his morning ordeal now.

I was amazed how different his eyes can dilate. I had noticed a slight asymmetry a week ago, but that was in the daytime. In the evening with dimmer light, the difference is much more pronounced.

Cat actually has, I think, mixed feelings about all this. He's really getting to like more attention, he's just not sure about this kind of attention though . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Good luck with the cats, guys.

Fingers are crossed.
Dying to live, living to die.
Vet seemed to think ear mite problem would entirely explain dilation problem.

For students of probability theory, what are the odds a given cat would have 2 simultaneous conditions (ear mites and brain tumor) with same symptom ?

I'm trying to be positive about this, but it was a bad night here last night, as all I could think about was the brain tumor possibility.

Cat gets ear drops every day for 3 weeks and follow up vet visit in 1 week. And the vet said the dilation problem would take months to clear up if it's the ear mite thing. If brain tumor, well, it doesn't matter . . .

The animal optimist in me is going with ear mites.

Condolences. Our dogs hate any messing with their ears, especially drops. The one rescue had to have 4cc of steroid/antibiotic put in 2x/day for 3 months. Once in, the ear and ear canal had to be manipulated to make sure it got dispersed effectively. A good time was had by all. I got really good at doggy head locks.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I finally mastered getting those amoxyl tablets into him.

I pat him under the chin, shove the little in the side of his mouth, whilst still holding his mouth pointing up and scratching his neck.
Eventually he has to swallow.

Alot of it is also trust.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 26, 2016 at 10:00 pm)ignoramus Wrote: I finally mastered getting those amoxyl tablets into him.

I pat him under the chin, shove the little in the side of his mouth, whilst still holding his mouth pointing up and scratching his neck.
Eventually he has to swallow.

Alot of it is also trust.

I still haven't mastered getting pills into two of my cats.

I win the battle but very rarely come through unscathed...
Dying to live, living to die.
Poor little furries. I hope everything turns out alright.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So my cat wants to eat me? Whaaaa? Brian37 29 2039 January 22, 2019 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Phoque
  Sport and mental health. purplepurpose 24 2063 August 16, 2018 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Tips on how to boost eye health purplepurpose 24 2508 March 3, 2018 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Emergency Auxiliary Backup Cat #2, continued . . . vorlon13 3 395 August 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Religion and mental health mcolafson 18 3016 October 6, 2016 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Catholics and Health Care brewer 2 580 September 10, 2016 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Air pollution causes cancer, world health authority says pocaracas 3 1345 October 17, 2013 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  In sickness and in health Violet 25 5754 July 10, 2010 at 7:16 am
Last Post: The Omnissiunt One