Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help resolving host
Help resolving host
Hi guys,

Out of the blue my computer's decided to say "resolving host" for several annoying seconds before every page load in Chrome... and I've never had any problems before  Sad I think it's to do with Kaspersky because at the same time it first happened, Chrome was telling me about a new Kaspersky extension that had been added... that it would be able to read and change my data on websites... and asking me whether to allow it or not. Perhaps stupidly I chose no, and let it 'remove it from Chrome' but the problem still persists  Sad So couple of questions to anyone in the know... a) could that extension still be causing this problem even though it has supposedly been removed... perhaps it changed a setting somewhere? and b) do you know of any way to get that extension back? ... I can't find any setting in Kaspersky to re-apply it as it were or in Chrome to roll back as it were  Sad

Thanks, kudos, reps... anything you want  Big Grin ... to anyone who can help me  Begging cos this is going to drive me insane if I can't get it sorted  Sad
RE: Help resolving host
No idea about kaspersky, but sounds like a malware.
Do a malware scan immediately.
Try running your browser in safe mode and see if that makes a difference.
Run a speed test on your network.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(July 28, 2016 at 6:30 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: No idea about kaspersky, but sounds like a malware.
Do a malware scan immediately.
Try running your browser in safe mode and see if that makes a difference.
Run a speed test on your network.

Thanks Magi... my dame in shining armour  Wink

I've just done a 'quick scan' in Kaspersky with no threats detected. But I've never specifically run a malware scan in my life... any suggestions on what to use for that if Kaspersky's no good for it?

And do you know how to do safe mode in Chrome?
Well at least it works on my phone... now I know why it would be good to have a tablet Wink Sad But at least I can do my research on here a bit quicker.
For malware, malwarebytes comes to mind.

And if you are using chrome, create a shortcut to chrome, and in properties -> target set "incognito", then start chrome from this shortcut directly.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(July 28, 2016 at 6:57 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: For  malware, malwarebytes comes to mind.

And if you are using chrome, create a shortcut to chrome, and in properties -> target set "incognito", then start chrome from this shortcut directly.

I think I'm in it... added ["-incognito-"] (without the square brackets) to after the existing quoted path to chrome... so it reads ["path to chrome.exe" "-incognito-"]... is that right... that's how you set an argument for a program? Anyway without the minuses it just tried to find a site called incognito so I think it's right with them... also it opened not full screen so I think it's right. Anyway, no change with that... the resolving host message is still there in incognito mode.

I'll have a look at that malwarebytes Smile
Host? Exorcism is the only sure way.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I second the suggestion of Malwarebytes.
Process of elimination is always quickest for me.
Try another browser first.

If it's good, then we know it's chrome related.
Go into chrome options and disable addons to prove the point.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
hmm, you might also want to flush your dns cache, just to be sure.
- Lau Tzu