Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There are no fat physicists?
There are no fat physicists?
I could be wrong, I admit, and I am sure that someone will be posting pics, but from what I can tell, most physical (and, even, natural) scientists know how to keep their weight under control.  No doubt such is due to their fundamental understanding of things like the conservation of mass and energy and good measurements.

So, to ask a somewhat rhetorical question, what does a physicist know that a dietitian doesn't?
RE: There are no fat physicists?
I don't think the percentage of obese people in physics is much different from other groups of professional academics, or at least not lower. I suspect there is selection on several levels going on (socioeconomic status etc.) lowering the percentage wrt to the general population.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I wouldn't call Neil Degrasse Tyson skinny...
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
In the quantum world, all physicists are morbidly obese.
(August 2, 2016 at 8:12 am)Aegon Wrote: I wouldn't call Neil Degrasse Tyson skinny...

He's a 6'2 former wrestling champion. I don't think he counts as overweight in the sense of the OP Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(August 2, 2016 at 8:30 am)Alex K Wrote:
(August 2, 2016 at 8:12 am)Aegon Wrote: I wouldn't call Neil Degrasse Tyson skinny...

He's a 6'2 former wrestling champion. I don't think he counts as overweight in the sense of the OP Big Grin

Wow, I didn't that!!  He's so "cosmic"!!  And, yet, it is clear that he is not the type that one would want to try and mug on the streets of New York.
(August 2, 2016 at 7:17 am)Alex K Wrote: I don't think the percentage of obese people in physics is much different from other groups of professional academics, or at least not lower. I suspect there is selection on several levels going on (socioeconomic status etc.) lowering the percentage wrt to the general population.

You need to do a scientific study on this, Alex.
(August 2, 2016 at 8:39 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(August 2, 2016 at 8:30 am)Alex K Wrote: He's a 6'2 former wrestling champion. I don't think he counts as overweight in the sense of the OP Big Grin

Wow, I didn't that!!  He's so "cosmic"!!  And, yet, it is clear that he is not the type that one would want to try and mug on the streets of New York.

[Image: Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-wrestling.jpg?41d9ba]

(August 2, 2016 at 8:46 am)Alex K Wrote:
(August 2, 2016 at 8:39 am)Jehanne Wrote: Wow, I didn't that!!  He's so "cosmic"!!  And, yet, it is clear that he is not the type that one would want to try and mug on the streets of New York.

You learn something new everyday O.o
(August 2, 2016 at 8:46 am)Alex K Wrote:
(August 2, 2016 at 8:39 am)Jehanne Wrote: Wow, I didn't that!!  He's so "cosmic"!!  And, yet, it is clear that he is not the type that one would want to try and mug on the streets of New York.

Oh my.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a real chance that there is a multiverse? SerenelyBlue 127 14450 September 15, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Alex K