Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 10:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The hiddeness of god?
The hiddeness of god?
Does this trouble the Christians at all? Of the modern arguments for atheism the hiddeness of the divine is a powerful reason not to beleive in a god. Simply stated it is reasonable for their to be unbeleif, and if it is, god is not giving those who are inclined to unbeleif a fair shot at being in fellowship with him. Consider the plight of the non Christian who is a really nice guy, helps others, minimises harm to everyting, generally does his best, but cannot beleive in a god and is therefore doomed to an eternity of torture for reasonable unbeleif. surely god should give him a bit of evidence, he did it 2000 and 4000 years ago, why not now? The more sarcastic view is that there is no difference between something which is invisible, immaterial, cannot be observed nor detected and lives in a supernatural realm and something which does not exist.
RE: The hiddeness of god?
He's not hidden, you just don't understand what it is you're looking at when you do. <-super simplified answer
(August 15, 2010 at 10:44 am)Watson Wrote: He's not hidden, you just don't understand what it is you're looking at when you do. <-super simplified answer

I'm afraid that's just ad hominem. All my faculties are on place as are over 2/3 rds of the worlds population who are not Christian and to whom the Christian god is hidden. Even within Christianity there are different sects with their own view of god. So if you have an argument to challenge the view that the hiddeness of your god is not evidence for atheism I'd love to hear it.
I know you're faculties are in place, as are mine. I never claimed that the Christian God was the 'one true God' and it always amuses me when atheists assume I have. You know what they say about assumptions.

So then, here's my argument against atheism; not all the world may be Christian, but just about 5 billion people believe in some form of a God. I wonder what those people see that the atheists don't? Wink
If God were fair, he'd announce his existence in a booming voice from the sky in every language, and send down a host of angels to proclaim his glory. Anyone who denied his existence then would be wilfully ignorant.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
In order to see and understand God you must do the following in the following order:
1. Put aside all of your critical thinking and reasoning skills
2. Humbly admit that you are a sinner in need of salvation and repent of said sins
3. Submit your life and will to the all powerful invisible guy in the sky
4. Have "faith" that he is there and can hear you and let him guide you into all understanding and "truth"

Unless you are willing to do that you will never find God. Not with your intellect, scientific research, or any other methodology. Although these steps in and of themselves sound like a perfect recipe to lead yourself into a delusion and delusional thinking.

Hebrews 11:6 (KJV)
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

It looks like the authors of the N.T. knew that we would be asking such questions spooky eh? Lol Here is the logic used by all religionists: I believe in God, Jesus his son, and the Holy Ghost therefore they exist.
I believe in Santa, his elves, and the flying reindeer therefore they exist. I personally don't see the difference.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

(August 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm)Watson Wrote: So then, here's my argument against atheism; not all the world may be Christian, but just about 5 billion people believe in some form of a God. I wonder what those people see that the atheists don't? Wink
Delusion.
Plus do keep in mind that the majority of the human population is uneducated.

A majority of the population once believed that the earth was the centre of the universe. Did that make them right? Heck no!

Same thing with god, it doesn't matter how many believe it. It doesn't make it any more true.
"A lie is a lie no matter how many believe it"
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(August 15, 2010 at 1:08 pm)Ace Wrote:
(August 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm)Watson Wrote: So then, here's my argument against atheism; not all the world may be Christian, but just about 5 billion people believe in some form of a God. I wonder what those people see that the atheists don't? Wink
Delusion.
Really? 5 billion people out of 6 billion people are deluding themselves? Every single person and every single experience that they cite as proof of God is just delusion? Do you even realize how unlikely that is?

Quote:A majority of the population once believed that the earth was the centre of the universe. Did that make them right? Heck no!
Who's to say it isn't? We humans? 5 billion out of 6 billion of us don't even realize that God's not real! How the hell can we determine anything if our hit to miss ratio is so huge?

The contradiction here is gaping.
(August 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm)Watson Wrote: I know you're faculties are in place, as are mine. I never claimed that the Christian God was the 'one true God' and it always amuses me when atheists assume I have. You know what they say about assumptions.

So then, here's my argument against atheism; not all the world may be Christian, but just about 5 billion people believe in some form of a God. I wonder what those people see that the atheists don't? Wink

I'm glad I/ we have made you laugh. So where your argument falls down is that Christianity is an exclusivist religion. As is Islam, Judaism, Hinduism. Confusionism and buddism are religions without a god. Other eastern religions are identify the divine with nature or humans. I'm afraid that 5 billion people all beleive in different and in most cases competing god/s paradigms. So you make the case for athiesm even better than I have on that the only thing all religions get right is that all the others are wrong. As for your own pluralist views, you are of course entitled to them it does leave your argumentation exposed to ridicule however. Nothing is as overrated as ecumenicism.
Quote:Really? 5 billion people out of 6 billion people are deluding themselves? Every single person and every single experience that they cite as proof of God is just delusion? Do you even realize how unlikely that is?

Actually it is very likely. Firstly, no one has ever brought forward any verifiable evidence and second, not all 5-6 billon people people are well educated and/or in an advanced society. When you take in the considerations, delusion seems far more likely.
Remember, numbers count for nothing when it comes to facts. Numbers point to nothing.

Quote:Who's to say it isn't? We humans? 5 billion out of 6 billion of us don't even realize that God's not real! How the hell can we determine anything if our hit to miss ratio is so huge?

The contradiction here is gaping.
Evidence is to say, we go by evidence since that is how science moves forward. Numbers mean nothing. It doesn't matter how many believe in something, you can still all be wrong.
There is no evidence for a god or gods.

You say there is a contradiction? Please point it out.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12679 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6735 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad