Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 11:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Podcasts
Podcasts
So I'm saving up my podcasts for my upcoming road trip. Are there any podcasts that you listen to that are beyond awesome?

Just so you know my flavor, here's my top ten:

1) This American Life
2) Keith and the Girl
3) RadioLab
4) 99% Invisible
5) Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me
6) The Thinking Atheist Podcast
7) Freakonomics
8) Answer Me This
9) Nerdist Podcast
10) 2 Dope Queens

Let me know some of your faves, and describe them a bit.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: Podcasts
I'd recommend Waking Up by Sam Harris, but I'm pretty sure you've heard of it, and if it isn't there by now... Well...
Pussyfuthers And The Toffee-Loving Combo-Queen

^^^ This podcast doesn't exist but it totally should
God Awful Movies is one of my absolute favorites. It's made by the guys from The Scathing Atheist and it's the same type of irreverent humor aimed at religion, but this podcast is just reviews of religious movies.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
All the Ricky gervais podcasts.

The joe rogan experience.

Stefan molyneux.

True murder.

Serial.

Sword and scale.

I'll make the descriptions short.
Ricky gervais is a comedian who works with Karl pilkington and Steve merchant.

Joe rogan is a ufc commentator, he interviews fighters, comedians, Neil de grease Tyson has been on there Louis Theroux has been on there and steve o, Russell brand and so On.
He has a mix of political guests too who seem to go from totally opposite sides of the spectrum, he had Stefan molyneux on there then a woman from the young turk on there for example. Milo has been on there, the gay blonde conservative. And I saw the most left wing lawyer ever on there.

True murder is about true murder, it's obviously a serious podcast but it's also funny to me because the guy who makes then always fucks up somehow and gets nervous, it's difficult to describe but it is a good podcast I just happen to also get a laugh out of the amateurishness of it.

Stefan molyneux is a fee market libertarian anarchist who does a philosophy show, he's an athiest, he does talks about not hitting your children, the non aggression principle, racial topics, politics and so on.
He's been accused of being a cult leader type character.

Serial is another true crime one.

Sword and scale again is true crime. Probably my favourite true crime one.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I have listened to every episode of Serial, and have listed to some episodes of Joe Rogan, I like him, not the podcast. I like the Ricky Gervais stuff with Karl Pilkington, that's hilarious.

Molyneux sounds like not my cup of tea.

I'll check out Sword and Scale and True Murder. Thanks!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
The Skeptics Guide To The Universe - Three brothers (the host being a brilliant clinical neurologist), an ex-mormon (also Bill Maher's ex) and an ex-jew discuss science and skepticism, they have like 5000 episodes by now...

Stuff to Blow your Mind - a very wide range of fascinating topics from arts, science, history, biology, psychology, not too heavy.

For lighter entertainment, Neil deGrasse Tyson's StarTalk

God Awful Movies and Scathing Atheist have been mentioned - brilliant and so non-pc you might have to faint
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

The Drunken Peasants.
I should start getting into this stuff as well. Perhaps I'll start with a series on cosmology or whatever.
It's not a podcast but I used to listen to this on long journeys.

The mighty boosh radio show.

The humour is a bit random and took me a while to get into it. But when I did I was thinking why didn't I listen to this before.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Robert M. Price podcasts Tea Earl Grey Hot 1 1113 May 7, 2012 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Atheist Podcasts m.condon 4 1228 March 7, 2012 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Tiberius