Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 3:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differences between women and men.
Differences between women and men.
Are men from mars and women from venus or are we all from earth?
For many years now I have been suspicious of the so-called fact that men and women are psychologically different in some characteristic way.
I tend to feel, merely through observation, that we are all individuals and that gender traits are a myth.
How do you feel about it?
RE: Differences between women and men.
I think gender traits are based on trends rather than there being any solid laws about the psychology of any specific gender.

Some things can be put down to culture but I'd imagine the tendency for males to have different levels of different hormones than women would also make them tend to act in different ways that can be observed.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I don't think the differences between men and women run very deep. I think we are obviously different in some ways, like the different ways we interact with each others and the different natural strenghts and weaknesses more characteristic to a specific sex/gender or another, but I think those are only superficial.

This will bring up the transexual "debate", I'm sure. Me, I used not to know what to think about it, yet give my opinion on it nevertheless. Now I just don't know what to think about it, but I'd rather shut up than say something stupid.
In terms of psychological traits that are traditionally considered gender-specific (such as women being nurturing, men being competitive, etc.) I don't think that there are any hard-wired differences between men and women. I do think that many people empathize with others differently depending on their sex, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is as biologically determined as sexual orientation. If you have a male gender identity it's natural for you to identify with males and emulate their behavior, and vice versa for females.
A Gemma is forever.
(August 6, 2016 at 6:38 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: but I'd rather shut up than say something stupid.

First time for everything, I suppose.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
One biologically-induced difference is in aggression levels (maybe ... after catching up on the latest research, this may not even be true). But in general, no real difference when it comes to psychology.
Just through observation (in a non-stalking way) of the female of the species, I've decided that the ability to multi-task is real.

Of course, men can do that t...

... hang on. Back in a minute.
The PURPOSE of life is to replicate our DNA ................. (from Darwin)
The MEANING of life is the experience of living ... (from Frank Herbert)
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind ..... (from observation)
(August 6, 2016 at 1:23 pm)DLJ Wrote: Just through observation (in a non-stalking way) of the female of the species, I've decided that the ability to multi-task is real.

Of course, men can do that t...

... hang on.  Back in a minute.

Frank Herbert said that? Did he say it in Dune?

You know what I'm referring to, I trust.
(August 6, 2016 at 1:25 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: Frank Herbert said that? Did he say it in Dune?

You know what I'm referring to, I trust.

I do and he did.
The PURPOSE of life is to replicate our DNA ................. (from Darwin)
The MEANING of life is the experience of living ... (from Frank Herbert)
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind ..... (from observation)
Diffrences: An X and a Y.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is There a Difference Between Trusting Scientists and Trusting Preachers? Rhondazvous 153 20661 July 21, 2016 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  "Men's rights activists are pig misogynists,men don't have issues!" ErGingerbreadMandude 214 21300 May 10, 2016 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Why are there significantly less women in S.T.E.M fields, what we can do to help ErGingerbreadMandude 32 4801 December 31, 2015 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
Brick The genetic similarity between man and Cambanzy Is it true? king krish 34 6598 December 30, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Men and Women Can't Be "Just Friends" Tino 58 13936 November 7, 2012 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Gambit