Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Support for a friend
Lightbulb 
Support for a friend
Hi there, this is my first post here but I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice. I have a friend who lately tells me he has found christ, god etc after all of this time of knowing him, I thought he was a little bit more critical in his thinking but he has seemed to be absorbed all of a sudden. I have tried talking on both a critical level and sympathetic level as I hate to think of any of my friends to lose their heads in make believe. Here is a link to one his videos on youtube anyway. You'll probably find it as I did, uncomfortable, a tad bit awkward and feeding the fearful:

Moderator Notice
Link removed for a violation of the 30/30 rule. Please familiarize yourself with our rules here: https://atheistforums.org/rules.php

He also believes science is a form of religion which again, is uncomfortable and without sounding patronising, makes him sound quite uneducated.

If any of you out there can offer him direct advice or even some critical comments via his youtube, that would be great. I know he reads them and I can only hope he steps off Noah's Ark after reading them.

Thanks a lot and I appreciate any advice that is given.
Elle
RE: Support for a friend
Unfortunately you can't share your friend's video at this time. My only advice would be to you and not to your friend. If you love your friend, love him as he is. Don't try to deconvert him. Your friend can make his own decisions on religion. You just keep loving him for who he is and don't worry too much about his religious status.

Also, welcome to AF. It's nice to meet you Smile
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Hello, welcome Smile

You could invite him to the forum if you like. I have lots of videos on these kinds of topics if they would be helpful, I can give you the links.

I agree with Losty, actively going at someone to deconvert them is generally a bad idea. Discussion is fine, as long as it's mutually agreeable. But if you're always starting it and he's not interested, it's only going to worsen your friendship.

Best to let him know he can talk to you, and let him approach you with questions. This has always been my strategy, and it has served me well for a variety of subjects.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Thanks for your replies guys. I see what you mean about deconverting and I suppose I have to be a little bit more patient. I think it is due to the steps I have taken in my own life to separate myself from friends who have delved down a similar path, but then can't really talk about anything without it being directed back to christ. It is unfortunately the same position I am in again now with the friend mentioned above and it is pretty difficult to try and talk about constructive things when it keep coming back to the rapture and the book of revelations.
Welcome to the forum! Many here find themselves in a similar situation as you. You are not alone.
Have you given thought to exploring his reasons for the change? Bringing an unbiased mind to the conversation will lend itself to an honest examination of the facts and evidence.

Ultimately I hope you both remember and focus on the foundation of your friendship and do not let this or any other issue become a source of divide. We should truly enjoy each other's individuality and differences, otherwise we would just sit around agreeing with each other constantly and where is the fun in that.

Enjoy and cultivate your friendship, most people will have few close personal relationships in this life. Cherish the meaningful ones.

Pete.
(August 7, 2016 at 5:49 am)robvalue Wrote: Hello, welcome Smile

You could invite him to the forum if you like. I have lots of videos on these kinds of topics if they would be helpful, I can give you the links.

I agree with Losty, actively going at someone to deconvert them is generally a bad idea. Discussion is fine, as long as it's mutually agreeable. But if you're always starting it and he's not interested, it's only going to worsen your friendship.

Best to let him know he can talk to you, and let him approach you with questions. This has always been my strategy, and it has served me well for a variety of subjects.

Hey Rob, thank you, the links would be a great help actually if you didn't mind Smile

I would love nothing more for him to attend this forum but I know from previous things he has said, that he would only view it as a test from darker forces etc.

Thank you all again for getting back to me, greatly appreciated.
Welcome.

Do you know what your friends original motive was? My guess is that it was tied to an emotion. That may not solve much but may answer some questions and give you a different perspective.

Best wishes.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
You're welcome Smile

If your friend is turning every conversation into a religious sermon, that's a serious problem he is causing. Personally, I'd ask him to stop doing it if he wants to remain friends. It's selfish and unacceptable. If he values preaching above your friendship, then he's made his choice.

Here's some videos that might be useful. I have many more in the serious discussion section of my video index here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX7mdUh9yUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOrP9nb-yrk
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
How old is this person? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

Quote:Late adolescence and early adulthood are peak periods for the onset of schizophrenia,[12] critical years in a young adult's social and vocational development.[42] In 40% of men and 23% of women diagnosed with schizophrenia, the condition manifested itself before the age of 19.[
(August 7, 2016 at 5:04 am)EllHarris412 Wrote: Hi there, this is my first post here but I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice. I have a friend who lately tells me he has found christ, god etc after all of this time of knowing him, I thought he was a little bit more critical in his thinking but he has seemed to be absorbed all of a sudden. I have tried talking on both a critical level and sympathetic level as I hate to think of any of my friends to lose their heads in make believe. Here is a link to one his videos on youtube anyway. You'll probably find it as I did, uncomfortable, a tad bit awkward and feeding the fearful:

Moderator Notice
Link removed for a violation of the 30/30 rule. Please familiarize yourself with our rules here: https://atheistforums.org/rules.php

He also believes science is a form of religion which again, is uncomfortable and without sounding patronising, makes him sound quite uneducated.

If any of you out there can offer him direct advice or even some critical comments via his youtube, that would be great. I know he reads them and I can only hope he steps off Noah's Ark after reading them.

Thanks a lot and I appreciate any advice that is given.
Elle

You'll excuse me saying it, but you seem to be a lousy friend. People have a right to believe whatever they wish, no matter how wrong (or wrong-headed) it seems to the rest of us. As long as this friend of yours isn't hurting anyone (or is posing a danger to himself), it really isn't any of your business what he believes. And attempting to enlist the help of strangers to deconvert him comes off as more intrusive than friendly.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Baptists in Texas don't support Biden Foxaèr 12 1449 January 7, 2021 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christian loons who support the death penalty. Jehanne 85 8889 December 4, 2016 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Need Advice w/ Christian Friend DeadChannel 23 5294 August 8, 2015 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Jesus is my friend Fidel_Castronaut 22 5821 July 28, 2015 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  He who is a friend of the world is an enemy of mine? clergyman 14 2814 July 3, 2014 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Christian disonance of support iteractions. Brakeman 0 918 November 23, 2013 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Brakeman
  A Dear Friend Falls Victim to the Virus FallentoReason 6 2986 July 25, 2013 at 2:55 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Lord Carey attacks PM over Christian 'support' Darwinian 6 2880 March 30, 2013 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  God is the great spirit friend jstrodel 320 101288 March 29, 2013 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I want to help my friend, but is it too late? Milennin 24 9074 January 10, 2012 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: JudgeDracoAmunRa