Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The speed of light and discovering
The speed of light and discovering
I've come to notice that because of the speed of light, communication and discovering etc will be restricted between planets and solar systems. E.g if let's say we want to find distant life in another solar system we can't see what's going on at the moment because the light that'll have reached us would've been very very old. To make matters worse, let's say in the far future we populate another planet, let's use Mars as an example, communication between Earth and Mars takes around 14 minutes or so, and that's at the speed of light.

My question is, is there any possible/theoretical way to work our way around this obstacle?
RE: The speed of light and discovering
Where is our physicist?
*waiting for Alex intensifies*
(August 9, 2016 at 6:01 pm)RozKek Wrote: I've come to notice that because of the speed of light, communication and discovering etc will be restricted between planets and solar systems. E.g if let's say we want to find distant life in another solar system we can't see what's going on at the moment because the light that'll have reached us would've been very very old. To make matters worse, let's say in the far future we populate another planet, let's use Mars as an example, communication between Earth and Mars takes around 14 minutes or so, and that's at the speed of light.

My question is, is there any possible/theoretical way to work our way around this obstacle?

A martian in the future: wtf is this lag?, this is ranked ffs 

Big Grin
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
I now have a headache.
This recent escapee from TTA forums is on heavy drugs costing $25.000.00 per week. They affect my mind at times. Excuse me if I react out of the norm.
Banjo.
(August 9, 2016 at 6:01 pm)RozKek Wrote: I've come to notice that because of the speed of light, communication and discovering etc will be restricted between planets and solar systems.

Bingo. That's captain obvious and I'm always surprised by people wondering why we haven't found any alien civilizations as of yet. When some planet or star is a few million lightyears away we're looking at a time when humans didn't even walk this earth. Chances are, this planet doesn't even exist anymore.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 9, 2016 at 6:10 pm)abaris Wrote:
(August 9, 2016 at 6:01 pm)RozKek Wrote: I've come to notice that because of the speed of light, communication and discovering etc will be restricted between planets and solar systems.

Bingo. That's captain obvious and I'm always surprised by people wondering why we haven't found any alien civilizations as of yet. When some planet or star is a few million lightyears away we're looking at a time when humans didn't even walk this earth. Chances are, this planet doesn't even exist anymore.

Putin or Trump???
This recent escapee from TTA forums is on heavy drugs costing $25.000.00 per week. They affect my mind at times. Excuse me if I react out of the norm.
Banjo.
(August 9, 2016 at 6:10 pm)abaris Wrote:

Except older civilizations out there could've sent plenty of messages that would've reached us by now.
We don't need to look that far out. Our Galaxy 'only' has a span of around 100,000 ly, which is still a hell of a walk. Millions of lightyears gets us out to our nearest large galactic neighbour, M31 at 2.2 million. There are about two thousand stars within 50 ly of Earth, about 15% of which could have planets with the proper conditions to qualify as life-sustaining., and about a dozen such potentials have been discovered. There could be tens of 'billions' (hate that term) in our Galaxy alone. No rush to go so far from home just yet.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
What makes you think they are not walking among us?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Einstein Say Light is Massive? Rhondazvous 25 3144 July 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2642 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1848 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  An Interesting thing About Light Rhondazvous 14 2369 October 31, 2017 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 55154 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Does the Higgs Boson Enforce the CCosmic Speed Limit Rhondazvous 14 3166 July 24, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Why Can't Anything Travel Faster than Light? Rhondazvous 48 5922 December 14, 2016 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Physics questions about light bennyboy 10 2536 September 20, 2016 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Where does the Light Go when you Turn the Switch Off? Rhondazvous 9 1977 August 5, 2016 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  Can you catch light in a pot? ErGingerbreadMandude 53 8264 June 3, 2016 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: ignoramus