Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth-Like Planet around Proxima?
Earth-Like Planet around Proxima?
This is very cool news, but I've only seen it on German news sites (and I have heard rumours that they have jumped the gun a bit and published it before the agreed-upon time).
So, there could be a planet similar to earth in Proxima Centauri's Goldilocks zone. How convenient!

http://www.n-tv.de/wissen/Zweite-Erde-um...05991.html
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Earth-Like Planet around Proxima?
Piggy Back.

http://phys.org/news/2016-08-scientists-...lanet.html
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Because the luminosity of star declines exponentially with star mass, the Goldilocks zone around a dwarve star would be in a much steeper part of the parent star's gravity well than the earth is on the sun's. So any planet in proxima centauri's Goldilocks zone won't be earth like:   It is probably tidal locked to its parent star.  One side is perpetually day, the other perpetually night.

Furthermore, dwarve Stars seem to exhibit much higher level of flare activity compare to its luminosity than a sun like star. So any planet in proxima centauri's Goldilocks Zone would likely be much more swept by solar flares, may be stripped of any primordial atmosphere, than the earth.
I'd wait till more observational data comes in before getting my hopes up
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I think Der Spiegel really pissed some people off. Let's wait for the official announcement.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Twice as much gravity? How would complex terrestial life forms or vertebraes be, theoretically speaking?
(August 13, 2016 at 5:55 am)RozKek Wrote: Twice as much gravity? How would complex terrestial life forms or vertebraes be, theoretically speaking?

If theres liquid water gravity becomes less of an issue.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 13, 2016 at 6:48 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Boru

Have you turned pirate? Or are you a farmer from Somerset?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

None of the above. But the term 'Earth-like planet' drives me spare.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth' Recent CLimate Spiral 2.0 Leonardo17 105 5671 November 5, 2023 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Earth's recent climate spiral. Jehanne 301 17990 March 5, 2023 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Is basing society around selfishness wise (Adam Smith etc) Duty 14 1617 October 29, 2020 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Sun Bond, Planet Up..... Brian37 0 324 December 3, 2018 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Geocentric Earth Haipule 174 26301 September 1, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Seven temperate terrestrial planets around the nearby ultracool dwarf star TRAPPIST-1 pocaracas 52 7162 February 25, 2017 at 1:26 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  DAWN finds organic materials on dwarf planet Ceres! Alex K 9 1504 February 18, 2017 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Temperatures on Earth lifesagift 15 3226 November 27, 2014 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Any Funeral Directors Around Here? lezbehonest 2 1257 August 22, 2014 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Earth may have underground 'ocean' three times that on surface TubbyTubby 69 9163 June 29, 2014 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Cyberman