Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evil is evidence for God
Evil is evidence for God
I have heard the following argument used for the existence of God. Since I doubt anyone will say that the actions of Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer are not truly evil then I say the following makes a good argument. What are your opinions?

1. If God does not exist, objective moral values do not exist.
2.Evil Exists.
3.Therefore, objective moral values exist (some things are truly evil).
4.Therefore, God exists.
RE: Evil is evidence for God
(August 17, 2010 at 3:01 am)rybak303 Wrote: 1. If God does not exist, objective moral values do not exist.
2.Evil Exists.
4.Therefore, God exists.

First of all, life-- whatever it is-- is not a syllogism.

Secondly, what you call "evil" is a quality human beings ascribe to certain actions-- and some things are regarded as "evil" by some which are not at all "evil" to others. And, collectively, there are many things that were once considered "good" that are now regarded as "evil" today. So at point #2 the whole syllogism breaks down. "Evil"-- even if there were such a thing-- is not as clear cut as one might like it to be.
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
Personally, I don't actually know if it is possible to argue for or against God as most know it. Especially using present day human language. In the end, the choice you make for or against must be your own. But this is a good point,

Quote:Evil ..... is not as clear cut as one might like it to be.

And can be expanded into; Evil & Good are not as clear cut as one might like it to be.

But, if god is supposed to be everthing, would it not be both good, evil, and everthing in between.
(August 17, 2010 at 3:01 am)rybak303 Wrote: 1. If God does not exist, objective moral values do not exist.

I don't see how that logically follows.

Quote:2.Evil Exists.
I only believe it exists in the sense the concept of evil. But I also believe the concept of God and the concept of the Easter Bunny exists. So as I don't state that I believe they exist I'd say I don't believe in 'Evil' either. Moral evil that is. Natural disasters obviously happen.

Quote:3.Therefore, objective moral values exist (some things are truly evil).
I don't agree with the first two points so I say, no.

Quote:4.Therefore, God exists.

Even if I agreed with point '2' and '3' (and I don't), I still don't agree with point '1' so I don't agree with point '4' either.

Furthermore, point '2' and '3' don't logically follow if point '2''s meaning of "Evil exists" doesn't mean "objective moral evil exists", and I certainly don't agree with that meaning. As I said, as far I'll go is the concept of evil existing and I'll go that far with God and the easterbunny - their concepts obviously exist. That in no way means they do. The same with moral evil.
rybak303, do you actually read any of the replies made to you or are you just copy/pasting messages all over this board?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Quote:rybak303 Wrote:

EoF replied

Quote:I don't see how that logically follows.

It doesn't, nor has the existence of objective moral values been established. Nor is the existence of such values universally accepted as necessary or desirable.
(August 17, 2010 at 3:01 am)rybak303 Wrote: I have heard the following argument used for the existence of God. Since I doubt anyone will say that the actions of Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer are not truly evil then I say the following makes a good argument. What are your opinions?

2.Evil Exists.
4.Therefore, God exists.

Invalid argument.....

Morals are purely subjective.

Whilst no-one here would suggest that the actions of Bundy or Dahmer were good, what is the difference between that and the Sharia law stoning of women merely suspected of adultery.

Said stoning being considered very moral in those countries where Sharia law applies.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Hi, yes I do read all these replies. I have been searching as to which side on the debate between atheists and theists (mostly Christian) have the best case. So after reading books from both atheists and theists I wrote down questions that both sides brought up and have been sending them to a couple of Christian and Atheist forums. I am just curious to see how good the answers are that each side comes up with.

(August 17, 2010 at 3:01 am)rybak303 Wrote: I have heard the following argument used for the existence of God. Since I doubt anyone will say that the actions of Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer are not truly evil then I say the following makes a good argument. What are your opinions?

2.Evil Exists.
4.Therefore, God exists.

I would reply by asking what behavior is evil and why such behavior is considered evil. Those two rules above can be the base of a very effective moral system which does not need divine fiat to be established and maintained.

My definition of evil is behavior which breaks the following basic moral rules; the golden rule and first do no harm. However for Christians, especially Muslims the definition what is evil behavior is very different, in Islam it is basically anything Allah has declared haram or not allowed.
undefined
(August 17, 2010 at 10:52 pm)rybak303 Wrote: Hi, yes I do read all these replies. I have been searching as to which side on the debate between atheists and theists (mostly Christian) have the best case. So after reading books from both atheists and theists I wrote down questions that both sides brought up and have been sending them to a couple of Christian and Atheist forums. I am just curious to see how good the answers are that each side comes up with.

And what about your own thoughts on these matters...?
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2457 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3205 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1642 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4693 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 7850 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2804 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1042 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 1970 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2578 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The Argument Against Evil-lution no one 19 3468 January 5, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama