Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afterlife
Afterlife
Hello

i want to ask you guys about your opinion on afterlife, will we go somewhere after we die, of we just stop existing? also i want to hear arguments for your statment.

As always thank you for your answers every opinion is appreciated. Smile
If you think your afterlife will be better than your current life, you're not really living.You're just waiting to die.
RE: Afterlife
There is no afterlife. Consciousness is a manifestation of a physical system, the brain. When we die, that system is irreparably disrupted and ceases to function. Therefore our mind ends when the brain is disrupted at death.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I give this the same answer I give any other supernatural claims (like god). There is no evidence to show that it exists. Until the evidence is there, I will live my life as if it does not exist.
(August 14, 2016 at 5:47 pm)Torin Wrote: Hello

i want to ask you guys about your opinion on afterlife, will we go somewhere after we die, of we just stop existing? also i want to hear arguments for your statment.

Where will baby me go?

He's not gone anywhere, but he ceases to exist.  I'd assume the same will stand for elderly me: not gone anywhere, but ceases to exist.
There is an after life, you just won't be part of it. Neither will I. Neither will any of us.

If matter in your body is incorporated into another life form you might consider that an after life (actually that happens while you are alive). You still won't be part of it. 

You might consider others memories of you a kind of afterlife. You will be part of the memory but still not what you would consider you.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 14, 2016 at 5:47 pm)Torin Wrote: Hello

It's so transparently wishful thinking, I am baffled anyone still seriously considers it.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 14, 2016 at 8:06 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: There is no afterlife.  Consciousness is a manifestation of a physical system, the brain.  When we die, that system is irreparably disrupted and ceases to function.  Therefore our mind ends when the brain is disrupted at death.

There are many clinical reports of NDE consciousness after brain death.

http://www.near-death.com/science/eviden...-dead.html
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
(August 14, 2016 at 5:47 pm)Torin Wrote: ...
will we go somewhere after we die,

Chemically ... yes, eternally.
Biologically ... yes, for a short while.
Manifestly ... no.
Conceptually ... depends upon the influence of our legacy.

(August 15, 2016 at 4:16 am)Arkilogue Wrote: ...

NDE = Not death experience.

Wink
The PURPOSE of life is to replicate our DNA ................. (from Darwin)
The MEANING of life is the experience of living ... (from Frank Herbert)
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind ..... (from observation)
(August 15, 2016 at 4:16 am)Arkilogue Wrote:
(August 14, 2016 at 8:06 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: There is no afterlife.  Consciousness is a manifestation of a physical system, the brain.  When we die, that system is irreparably disrupted and ceases to function.  Therefore our mind ends when the brain is disrupted at death.

Nope, there is no way to reliably time the subjective experience that is reported as having happened during complete inactivity of the brain. Everything speaks for those things being an experience originating from ordinary (albeit disturbed by extreme conditions) brain activity that happens before or after the brain has become inactive. Remember: the perception of the timing of memories and experiences is constructed by the brain, and when brain function is disrupted or interrupted, so is this internal book keeping device.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 15, 2016 at 4:16 am)Arkilogue Wrote:

Sorry, but there are NO reports as you describe (this is why such phenomena are called NDEs, not DEs).  In Ms Reynolds' case, her 'experience' appears to have occurred while she was under general anesthesia, before she was placed into hypothermic cardiac arrest.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Afterlife, I'd be happy if it were true..... maestroanth 35 3818 June 12, 2016 at 3:13 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Theist provides scientific evidence of an afterlife CleanShavenJesus 9 2259 July 19, 2013 at 11:49 am
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus
  When it comes to the afterlife and the meaning of life, what do you identify as? CleanShavenJesus 16 5897 May 28, 2013 at 4:24 am
Last Post: littleendian