Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talking about looks
Talking about looks
I made a thread asking about if looks give people a significant advantage in life or not. Now there's an article about it that I find interesting and thought I'd like to share.

http://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/e...ou/page-2/
RE: Talking about looks
Looks can only go so far.
Survival of the species. JMO but people who say they don't pick whether or not they like someone based on their looks, are f.o.s. To some degree, looks are always going to have a part to play in choosing a mate. The honest person will admit that.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
They definitely matter, but they're not everything.
Of course they aren't everything. I didn't say they were. But for many people, apparently they are. If you don't "look" cool, you get picked on in school. If you don't have the right body type (fit, skinny etc) you made fun of. People are stereotyped a lot for how they look.

Looks aren't everything, but they sure seem to count for a lot in many areas of society.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Good looks can help. A bad brain can hurt. Given the choice, I'd concentrate on the brain rather than the beauty.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
In our beauty, sex and youth culture how could you come to any other conclusion. Look at visual entertainment and ads. See many less than physically beautiful people? We are programmed (for lack of a better word) to select beauty.

If truth be told, all other things being equal, good looks will win out.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 15, 2016 at 12:18 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Good looks can help.  A bad brain can hurt.  Given the choice, I'd concentrate on the brain rather than the beauty.

Nah, I need a woman who can't calculate how many units I've had in a week.
(August 15, 2016 at 11:28 am)Nymphadora Wrote: Survival of the species. JMO but people who say they don't pick whether or not they like someone based on their looks, are f.o.s. To some degree, looks are always going to have a part to play in choosing a mate. The honest person will admit that.

I wonder how much of it is DNA itself seeking super-symmetry and 1.618 ratios of proportion?

We might not be the passengers in this amusement part...we might be the ride.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
(August 15, 2016 at 3:59 pm)Expired Wrote:
(August 15, 2016 at 12:18 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Good looks can help.  A bad brain can hurt.  Given the choice, I'd concentrate on the brain rather than the beauty.

Nah, I need a woman who can't calculate how many units I've had in a week.

ROFLOL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looks and success RozKek 2 392 July 11, 2016 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Ebola vaccine looks promising abaris 9 2885 August 2, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  What DNA Actually Looks Like Rayaan 6 1565 December 2, 2012 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Rayaan