Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What God is to the Universe is what your mind is to your body
What God is to the Universe is what your mind is to your body
A person with their mind is able to control the hands etc. Thus from the perspective of the mind the body is in its control. So what if the Big bang and as such the universe is the creation of a Mind?  Our own existence is the best evidence that this is a possibility.
RE: What God is to the Universe is what your mind is to your body
(August 16, 2016 at 7:02 pm)fdesilva Wrote: A person with their mind is able to control the hands etc. Thus from the perspective of the mind the body is in its control. So what if the Big bang and as such the universe is the creation of a Mind?  Our own existence is the best evidence that this is a possibility.

Define what you mean by "mind". For me, it's just something I seem to possess that allows me to reason and be aware of stuff. Does the universe reason out stuff like we do? Is it aware of anything? Doesn't look like it. And it doesn't even look like it needs one anyway.

Wait, just read your OP (I was commenting on your title at first). Your post content does not match the title.
I followed you until you tried to connect the big bang to the mind. What if? Questions can be asked all day. Can you do anything with those questions though? So far you have no evidence, even if you are using the word.

[Image: Do-not-think-it-means.jpeg]
I don't believe you. Get over it.
A false equivalence leveraged for poor analogy, foisted aloft by a non sequitur.  Gratz.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 16, 2016 at 7:02 pm)fdesilva Wrote: A person with their mind is able to control the hands etc. Thus from the perspective of the mind the body is in its control. So what if the Big bang and as such the universe is the creation of a Mind?  Our own existence is the best evidence that this is a possibility.

Why should I care?

Seriously, come on. A mind? Big deal. Good for him/she/it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Analogy fail: My mind didn't create my body, my genetics and environment did.

So, basically, God spends a lot of time telling the Universe not to scratch its balls in public? Because my mind seems to spend an inordinate amount of time on that very subject.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 16, 2016 at 7:11 pm)Rhythm Wrote: A false equivalence leveraged for poor analogy, foisted aloft by a non sequitur.  Gratz.

(Question for the logic bomber:  Is a false equivalence the same thing as conflating two things?)
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

[Image: smoking.gif]
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Let's start and end with you actually informing yourself what mind is by scientific standards and how it works, dear OP. And then we can have no discussion, since you're already missing the mark by a lightyear or so. Otherwise shove your preaching effort up where the sun doesn't shine, if you would indulge me.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1264 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1032 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  How to change a mind Aroura 0 279 July 30, 2018 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aroura
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 11541 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11285 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
  Atheists, I want to know your explanation for these Out of body experiences? arda101 39 5867 January 29, 2017 at 2:57 am
Last Post: Magilla
  Mind from the Inside bennyboy 46 5797 September 18, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2045 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
  Mind is the brain? Mystic 301 28664 April 19, 2016 at 6:09 pm
  Is personal identity really just mind? Pizza 47 6510 February 14, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky