Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 3:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unexpected level of stupidity
Unexpected level of stupidity
I would expect such a level of stupidity from brainwashed believers but not from other atheists who should know better that nature shouldn't be taken lightly. They keep denying the obvious - the proverbial great flood which the believers blame on god - they say it never happened. Given the recorded history of deadly storms, I think it did happen but it was a localized event for which reason no other religion mentioned it. Which also proves it wasn't "god's" deed, it was simply a bad and powerful storm. If it were god's deed, he would flood the whole world and all religions would mention it.
Needless to say that I was immediately claimed as a believer just because I refused to underestimate nature. Seriously, I was expecting more thinking capabilities from atheists...

Here's some evidence heavy storms did happen and will continue to happen:
http://m.ranker.com/list/10-biggest-dead...G5zw_FdQ.8
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
RE: Unexpected level of stupidity
.....?

If you're talking about a really big storm, that washed away a pig shed and a couple chickens.....then you're not discussing the Deluge at all, now are you?

No..it never happened, and could not have happened.  No one else mentioned it...because it never happened. Nevertheless, deluge stories are common the world over, no one else ever seems to notice when these world flooding storms hit - and often enough there's absolutely no evidence for any storm or flood of any apprecable size to be even jokingly granted plausible origin status for any given regional story. Not a huge surprise, we're still imaginative like this. One crack of thunder and people start looking around like it's the end of the world.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I thought most people did believe that the flood myth arose because of localized floods. Hell, I think the region they were in is called the flood plains. That's not much of a stretch.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

It's still a hell of a stretch.  A flood plain is not a bowl, the earth is porous, the sky can only contain so much water before the pressure beneath becomes the equivalent of a sustained explosion.  The authors of these stories couldn;t have known any of that, ofc...not because they didn't have our modern tools...but because they'd never seem a storm even a fraction as large as the ones as they wrote into their fairy tales. They just assumed that "a whole lotta rain" would pile up just like trickling rain does, and it made a good setting for an adventure story.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 17, 2016 at 2:45 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I thought most people did believe that the flood myth arose because of localized floods. Hell, I think the region they were in is called the flood plains. That's not much of a stretch.

Lowland areas flood, even catastrophically, that's a given. Hell, you could practically set your sundial by the annual Nile floods.

What there isn't evidence of is a civilization-ending deluge. When we start talking about regional floods, we aren't talking about the same thing as what the fundy literalists are talking about.
(August 17, 2016 at 2:41 pm)Rhythm Wrote: .....?

If you're talking about a really big storm, that washed away a pig shed and a couple chickens.....then you're not discussing the Deluge at all, now are you?

No..it never happened, and could not have happened.  No one else mentioned it...because it never happened. Nevertheless, deluge stories are common the world over, no one else ever seems to notice when these world flooding storms hit - and often enough there's absolutely no evidence for any storm or flood of any apprecable size to be even jokingly granted plausible origin status for any given regional story. Not a huge surprise, we're still imaginative like this. One crack of thunder and people start looking around like it's the end of the world.

Following your logic, that means the devastating quake in Japan a few years ago didn't happen either, despite all the dead. Cuz quakes are force of nature too. So, just because you didn't see or feel it, it never happened? Are you serious? I'm not saying that great flood was done by an imaginary deity, I'm just saying it was a localized storm event which looked like god's work in their primitive eyes because they were too stupid to understand god had nothing to do with it.
Or, going the same way of your logic, I suppose the 7.2 quake that hit my hometown in the 70's didn't happen either, because we weren't there to see it. Despite the thousands of people who felt it and still remember it.
Just because you don't know of storms happening that doesn't mean they don't. Just Google for deadly storms in the last 100 years and you'll see. Or even better - browse weather channels site (weather.com, I think) - it's full of recorded storms on cam, even storms that can cause flood.
Uh... Atheist_BG, I think you're kind of entirely misunderstanding what Rhythm's saying.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(August 17, 2016 at 3:06 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Uh... Atheist_BG, I think you're kind of entirely misunderstanding what Rhythm's saying.

I did understand him quite well. Just read again the first three sentences of his second paragraph. "never happened" and so on.
(August 17, 2016 at 3:13 pm)Atheist_BG Wrote:
(August 17, 2016 at 3:06 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Uh... Atheist_BG, I think you're kind of entirely misunderstanding what Rhythm's saying.

I did understand him quite well. Just read again the first three sentences of his second paragraph. "never happened" and so on.

Yes...he's referring to the Flood..the big, worldwide, ark-worthy god-flood.  That most certainly never happened.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Given the recorded history of deadly storms, I think it did happen but it was a localized event for which reason no other religion mentioned it.

But that isn't what they claim, is it?

https://www.icr.org/article/842/

Quote:On the other hand, "young-earth creationists" accept the Biblical record of the Flood as a literal record of a tremendous cataclysm involving not only a worldwide Flood, but also great tectonic upheavals and volcanic outpourings that completely changed the crust of the earth and its topography in the days of Noah.

BTW, the fucking bible doesn't say anything about tectonic upheavals and/or volcanic outpourings... neither of which would have been known to the primitive goatfuckers who wrote that bullshit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poll: What is your Specific Level of Atheism? camlov2019 68 8051 January 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: flagbears
  Happiness level after embracing atheism thool 116 9773 February 13, 2016 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Any Level 7's out there? Avodaiah 34 7545 January 11, 2014 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  The STUPIDITY! MilesTailsPrower 10 2570 August 10, 2011 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  pure stupidity Overmars 9 3385 April 12, 2009 at 5:37 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet