Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
atheist quotes
atheist quotes
A quote by one of my heroes, the English poet Shelley. Shortly before he died in 1822, Shelley's reply as to why he was an atheist was this:-

" I took up the word, as a knight takes up a gauntlet, in defiance of an injustice. The delusions of Christianity are fatal to genius and originality, they limit thought. "

Wish I was a genius with words!!
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
RE: atheist quotes
This is a quote in Spanish but I will translate it for you:

"Los seres humanos pueden vivir sin dioses pero los dioses le deben la vida a los seres humanos, es decir, son una extensión imaginaria de la realidad, el resultado de una insatisfacción."

"Human beings can live without gods but gods are born by human beings, in other words, they are an imaginary extension of reality, the result of an unsatisfaction"

It's not the best translation, but you can get the meaning.
"Human beings: a quite unexceptional species of mammal with delusions of grandeur" ( Tarquin St John Shagnasty)
William Clifford's quote is probably one of my favorites;

"If a man, holding a belief which he was taught in childhood or persuaded of afterwards, keeps down and pushes away any doubts which arise about it in his mind, purposely avoids the reading of books and the company of men that call in question or discuss it, and regards as impious those questions which cannot easily be asked without disturbing it -- the life of that man is one long sin against mankind."
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
What is the function that a clergyman performs in the world? Answer: he gets his living by assuring idiots that he can save them from an imaginary hell.
-- H L Mencken
One of my favorite quotes is this:

"Religion is a pox on humanity. For without it, good people would still do good things and evil people would still do evil things. But to get good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

Unfortunately, I can't recall who said it.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
Thor, that was Steven Wienberg.....

I agree on a lot of what he says, but not everything....However, that quote was truly a great one....Smile

Another favorite of mine is;

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

H.L. Mencken....
(February 22, 2010 at 4:47 pm)Samson Wrote: Thor, that was Steven Wienberg.....

I agree on a lot of what he says, but not everything....However, that quote was truly a great one....Smile

Another favorite of mine is;

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

H.L. Mencken....

Thanks! Now I know who to credit when I use that quote. The Mencken quote is a good one also. I have to remember it!

Another one I like to use is this;

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" - Voltaire
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
My favorite Mencken comment.

Quote:God is the immemorial refuge of the incompetent, the helpless, the miserable. They find not only sanctuary in His arms, but also a kind of superiority, soothing to their macerated egos: He will set them above their betters.

-- H L Mencken
Min, that is truly a good one...Smile

Thor, I had to re-look this one back up on Voltaire....I loved one of the bio's they had on him.. (The last part of this was hilarious)..

In February 1778, Voltaire returned for the first time in 20 years to Paris, among other reasons to see the opening of his latest tragedy, Irene. The 5-day journey was too much for the 83-year old, and he believed he was about to die on February 28, writing "I die adoring God, loving my friends, not hating my enemies, and detesting superstition." However, he recovered, and in March saw a performance of Irene where he was treated by the audience as a returning hero. However, he soon became ill again and died on May 30, 1778. When asked on his deathbed by a priest to renounce the devil and turn to God, he is alleged to have replied, "For God's sake, let me die in peace."

lolol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Best movie quotes Marsellus Wallace 46 6420 June 28, 2014 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Movie Quotes to remember BrokenQuill92 7 2269 February 1, 2014 at 12:05 am
Last Post: Sejanus
  Quotes: Ayatollah Khomeini on sex with children northumbrian66 41 37857 September 24, 2013 at 6:30 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Favourite Quotes northumbrian66 31 13441 March 27, 2010 at 12:59 am
Last Post: deicide110
  Hilarious quotes by theists. LukeMC 81 28985 January 16, 2010 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  atheist quotes bozo 65 27901 April 23, 2009 at 5:25 am
Last Post: athoughtfulman