Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolutionary Tree
Evolutionary Tree
I was reading last night about incongruence in genetic phylogeny last night. As part of the comments in the blog someone mentioned something that I had not heard of before, It seemed like it may be difficult to look up, so I thought that I would ask here, and see if anyone with more knowledge than I could confirm or deny this.

The claim was that in doing a phylogenetic analysis concerning that the DNA that are used for paternity tests in humans, are not used in phylogenetic tree's comparing humans and chimps (because they would not match).

There are a number of biologist and experts on this blog, but I wasn't familiar with this poster, and didn't want to jump to conclusions based off of a single source. Can anyone confirm or deny this.
RE: Evolutionary Tree
I honestly don't understand your question because of the garbled grammar.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 19, 2016 at 9:27 am)Alex K Wrote: I honestly don't understand your question because of the garbled grammar.

Sorry, I wrote that fairly quickly.

Here is the comment I was referring to.
Quote:Paternity tests do not use the same DNA sequences that phylogenetics use. The DNA sequence(s) that demonstrate paternity wouldn’t show any relationship to chimps.
Could we get a link to the blog with that, for context? Or the source from which the blogger drew the statement?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Oh I see. I don't know whether that is true, but if I had to guess - it *might* make sense that maybe paternity tests deliberately use sequences which differ particularly strongly among the human gene pool in order to more clearly see family relations pop out. These samples then artificially overstate the differences between individuals, and so would return an falsely exaggerated distance in the relationship to chimps, if one used them naively for a comparison. But that's really just a guess, I don't know how paternity tests are done.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(August 19, 2016 at 9:34 am)Rhythm Wrote: Could we get a link to the blog with that, for context?

http://www.uncommondescent.com/evolution...ies-today/

It is comment #5 that I am referring to, although I don't know that context is going to help a lot.
Hmm. In a DNA paternity test, they are looking for gene sequences that are copied 'verbatim' from the person who is suspected of being the biological father. It gets less accurate with each generation removed from the child; so it's less accurate for determining grandparents and still less accurate for determining great-grandparents, and so on. It would be useless for establishing 'paternity' over thousands of generations.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Is the implication that we would not share common ancestry with primates? I think that is what I am reading. Our resident biologist TheRocketSurgeon could probably inject some wisdom on the matter. I haven't seen him around lately.
PETE_ROSE Wrote:Is the implication that we would not share common ancestry with primates?  I think that is what I am reading.  Our resident biologist TheRocketSurgeon could probably inject some wisdom on the matter.  I haven't seen him around lately.

He got upset and left. Don't know if he'll be back. We need a new biologist.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(August 19, 2016 at 9:40 am)PETE_ROSE Wrote: Is the implication that we would not share common ancestry with primates?  I think that is what I am reading.  Our resident biologist TheRocketSurgeon could probably inject some wisdom on the matter.  I haven't seen him around lately.

Yes, his knowhow would be very useful now. He unfortunately ragequit a few months ago...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  evolutionary psychology evolcon 163 10237 October 15, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Fossil worm shows us our evolutionary beginnings zebo-the-fat 0 358 March 24, 2020 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Evolutionary fine tuning ... ignoramus 10 1216 July 26, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Astonished
Question Where is the evolution tree for DNA? JamesT 4 987 April 28, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  An Evolutionary Connection Between Plants and Animals? Rhondazvous 2 1020 February 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Evolutionary Science Grinds On... Minimalist 19 4981 March 26, 2015 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Evolutionary biology adopting religious traits tantric 55 10281 December 29, 2014 at 7:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Nature: Does evolutionary theory need a rethink? Dolorian 10 4049 October 12, 2014 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Chas
  New thing discovered that does not fit into tree of life downbeatplumb 8 2360 September 5, 2014 at 11:13 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The vanilla bean-evolutionary quandry professor 27 6219 June 9, 2014 at 7:29 am
Last Post: Cyberman