Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opposite Day
Opposite Day
Thought an exercise in the philosophical section might be different. Post your best argument for or against God.

The catch is you have to post for the opposing side of your stated affiliation. That means for the professed Christians we must post our best argument against our worldview, and you heathens get to select your best argument for
theism, the Christian God, or Odin.

It's in the philosophical arena, therefore your claim can be of any nature. Scientific, moral, philosophical, etc.
RE: Opposite Day
God is real.

The book says so.
I will start. Given the eternal ramifications of Christianity and what the bible purports, God could clear up a lot of things by spending a few days walking with us today as He did twice before.

Not that it would change everyone's mind, but it would seem fair to show up before it's too late and give everyone a more equal presentation of Himself so everyone can make a well informed decision.

That He doesn't do this would be my strongest argument against.
The best part of religion is that it's a useful tool for a few things, including belonging to whatever form is the majority in your area. I don't have one for a specific deity that won't come off as some kind of fallacy.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

[Image: 60181911.jpg]

In all seriousness, though, finding the best argument for god is like finding the safest gun to shoot someone with.  I guess if I was forced to pick the least terrible one(which is still terrible), it would be the fine tuning argument.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
God exists because you can feel his presence. The bible is such a complex book. You can interpret a lot of it metaphorically and at the same time know that what it describes is very real. Christianity as a philosophy guided much of human development through its influence on the West and it is a very important historical artefact that you can't easily divorce from much of western culture.

God isn't real. Religious feelings are. God is a self-contradictory proposition. Any and every religion makes mutually incompatible claims about reality as well as irrational ones by themselves. Religion belongs in the past. Given a mind free of any indoctrination and provided an adequate education, one would never arive at the conclusions religious people generally do, unless one is mentally ill.
The effect of religion on the religious makes the issue of whether or not a god exists independently of us a moot point.  We create that god, and it's existence and efficacy is not diminished by it's human origin.  Because god is believed, for example, to hate fags, fags have been subjected to treatment entirely equivalent to that which they would expect if there was, indeed...a fag hating god.

All that is required for a god to effectively and meaningfully exist, is for people to believe in it, and act upon those beliefs...which they demonstrably do, therefore some* god(s) exist.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
God hates cigarettes? Well, I guess you can add that to the list of reasons I'm going to hell.
Ah, but god also loves those who rush to him...and so he loves you (and I) for our pack a day habits that can only bring us closer together...sooner.   Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Stand back bitches - here's all the proof you could ever want and more:

[Image: hubble-m51-cross-9.jpg]

Checkmate, atheists.

[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Opposite of Love tackattack 54 6709 November 20, 2018 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  Hate is Not the Opposite of Love Loading Please Wait 30 15239 September 23, 2011 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger