Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Royal Navy going to shit...
Royal Navy going to shit...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/...t-cutting/

Quote:The Navy’s only vessel for repairing damaged warships at sea will be sold off four years early because of cost-cutting, the Ministry of Defence has said.

RFA Diligence, which has been repairing Royal Navy vessels since the Falklands War, had been due to continue working until the end of the decade, but will now be sold immediately.

The sale comes just three years after the vessel was given a refit to extend its life to 2020, and means the ship will be lost before a replacement has been decided on.
RE: Royal Navy going to shit...
(August 21, 2016 at 12:11 am)Bella Morte Wrote: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/...t-cutting/

Quote:The Navy’s only vessel for repairing damaged warships at sea will be sold off four years early because of cost-cutting, the Ministry of Defence has said.

RFA Diligence, which has been repairing Royal Navy vessels since the Falklands War, had been due to continue working until the end of the decade, but will now be sold immediately.

The sale comes just three years after the vessel was given a refit to extend its life to 2020, and means the ship will be lost before a replacement has been decided on.

From having the best navy in the world that stopped Napoleon and the Spanish Invincible armada to having nothing, we simply have become a laughing stock of the world. At this rate, the Mary Rose will have to be put back into service, and perhaps they should take HMS Victory out of dry dock to give us at least some credibility.
I guess the Queen Elizabeth is eating up all the money?

We'll sell you some of our boats...or...rather, child sized replicas of some of our boats at four times the cost of the real deal.  What say you?    Wink

(your boats have been shit since the war of 1812 Tongue  )
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Since battleships went out of fashion with the skagerrak battle, the Royal Navy hasn't had much going for it in any case. Even with the Bismarck and the Hood it was a remis with Swordfishes doing the real damage. And destroyers or Corvettes covering the convoys.

That's what a navy is about these days. Aircraft carriers and fast interceptor units.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
... and submarines.

Which either can't be, or have no reason to be...legitimately, repaired at sea. The RN is scuttling a dubious convenience, not a combat necessity.

That said, we've still got ours....so....since were your buddies, just pull up alongside and swipe your credit cards. Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 21, 2016 at 5:07 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: ... and submarines.

We've got those.

I'm all for increasing our military budget.

Cut foreign aid.
Yeah, I know y'all have some ... and are considering replacing your Tridents -- there's another cash-drain.

(August 21, 2016 at 5:08 pm)Bella Morte Wrote:
(August 21, 2016 at 5:07 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: ... and submarines.

We've got those.

I'm all for increasing our military budget.

Cut foreign aid.

Yeah you do...child sized versions of ours at four times the cost......The Real Ohio Class™ says hi. When you pay for them..it -is- foreign aid....to the US of A. Angel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Trump going to Prison? FrustratedFool 392 19474 February 22, 2024 at 2:55 am
Last Post: GUBU
  NAACP going to far? brewer 17 1233 October 30, 2021 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Anyone going to watch the Jan 6th hearings? Brian37 39 3337 July 28, 2021 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Going a bit far with pronoun usage again Foxaèr 20 1361 May 18, 2021 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Is The NRA Going Bye-Bye? BrianSoddingBoru4 46 2034 August 9, 2020 at 5:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  They're going to catch sh*t for this. Brian37 8 850 April 25, 2019 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  So, Brits. How's Brexit Going? Minimalist 190 15168 February 4, 2019 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The market and where the economy is going. Jackalope 19 2230 December 15, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Fucking Catholic Sacks of Shit Minimalist 0 433 October 28, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Lying Sack of Shit Keeps Lying Minimalist 16 1198 October 28, 2018 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Minimalist