Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 10:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If someone says science can't explain everything what's the best way to repond?
If someone says science can't explain everything what's the best way to repond?
I've though about this one a bit. I think what the person, e.g. my parents or somebody in the street, is trying to say is: 1. God of the gaps (they don't know what advancements will happen) and 2. The supernatural is real and "science" can't explain it.

My idea is to simply agree with the person and remind them that, for example, archeology and mathematics are not sciences (maybe philosophy too?) and humanity has learned so much from those two fields. Nobody would claim digging up fossils or human artifacts is a kind of science experiment right? Even within science, some great discoveries are made without the scientific method: You have luck alone and armchair theorizing, as two examples.

Maybe I'm overthinking this and there is a simpler answer. One route a person might go down is to say "there is no way to measure love". In which case, I'll list the hormones associated with love and infer that by measuring those we can be sure a person is in love.

RE: If someone says science can't explain everything what's the best way to repond?
Tell them that the reason science can't explain everything is religion's fault. If it wasn't for the Dark Ages, brought by religion, nowadays science would have explained a lot more than they could have imagined. After all it's true.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
RE: If someone says science can't explain everything what's the best way to repond?
Saying that science can't explain everything is a baseless claim in itself. Maybe it can; maybe it can't. They have to provide evidence for that claim before it can be rationally believed.

The true statement is that science has not explained everything.

If there is another method that can discover or explain things better than science, they also have to back up that claim.

If someone makes a claim without justification, I can toss it out without justification.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
With a Christian that may be good, but a Muhammadan would start taking about the Arab Golden Ages and how they supposedly invented the scientific method (even though it goes back to ancient Greece and the Arabs merely improved upon what the ancient Greeks have them). It's crazy to think Christianity has become more open to new ideas and the Muhamnadans are less open. It's like they've switched places.

(August 23, 2016 at 3:11 am)ReptilianPeon Wrote: With a Christian that may be good, but a Muhammadan would start taking about the Arab Golden Ages and how they supposedly invented the scientific method (even though it goes back to ancient Greece and the Arabs merely improved upon what the ancient Greeks have them). It's crazy to think Christianity has become more open to new ideas and the Muhamnadans are less open. It's like they've switched places.

The Islamic claim to a golden age of reason does not address the claim that science can not explain everything. What Jesster said.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

[Image: quote-science-knows-it-doesn-t-know-ever...-61-84.jpg]
Sum ergo sum
(August 23, 2016 at 3:11 am)ReptilianPeon Wrote: With a Christian that may be good, but a Muhammadan would start taking about the Arab Golden Ages and how they supposedly invented the scientific method (even though it goes back to ancient Greece and the Arabs merely improved upon what the ancient Greeks have them). It's crazy to think Christianity has become more open to new ideas and the Muhamnadans are less open. It's like they've switched places.

Even if a Muslim started saying that Islam invented the scientific method, they haven't proven that it doesn't work. In fact, they've sort of backed themselves into a corner. If their religion is responsible for the scientific method, wouldn't that mean that Allah is to credit for it? Wouldn't that make it unassailable?

To counter, the principles of ancient Arabs that allowed for the free flow of ideas and thoughts which fed the Arab Golden Age have long since been abandoned in deference to Islamic fundamentalism. Science and mathematics flourished despite Islam, not because of it.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Nothing to say. The Universe is big.

But making shit up isn't better than just saying, "I don't know."
(August 23, 2016 at 2:59 am)ReptilianPeon Wrote: I've though about this one a bit. I think what the person, e.g. my parents or somebody in the street, is trying to say is: 1. God of the gaps (they don't know what advancements will happen) and 2. The supernatural is real and "science" can't explain it.

My idea is to simply agree with the person and remind them that, for example, archeology and mathematics are not sciences (maybe philosophy too?) and humanity has learned so much from those two fields. Nobody would claim digging up fossils or human artifacts is a kind of science experiment right? Even within science, some great discoveries are made without the scientific method: You have luck alone and armchair theorizing, as two examples.

Maybe I'm overthinking this and there is a simpler answer. One route a person might go down is to say "there is no way to measure love". In which case, I'll list the hormones associated with love and infer that by measuring those we can be sure a person is in love.

Science is the best way we have to figure out how the world we live in, works. If we knew everything, there would be no need for science.
(August 23, 2016 at 5:52 am)SteelCurtain Wrote:

Even if a Muslim started saying that Islam invented the scientific method, they haven't proven that it doesn't work. In fact, they've sort of backed themselves into a corner. If their religion is responsible for the scientific method, wouldn't that mean that Allah is to credit for it? Wouldn't that make it unassailable?

It's even worse than that. They'd be saying that their religion invented the thing that can't explain everything; and that's coming from their so-called golden age. The tacit admission is that Islam was wrong then and even worse now. So what exactly is their argument, again?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Islam itself says Muhammad is a liar Woah0 41 3146 August 27, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11079 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  How Can We Have Moral Direction If God Controls Everything? Rhondazvous 87 7688 August 22, 2021 at 10:23 am
Last Post: brewer
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4574 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Thumbs Up Taoism Says That Everything Has an Opposite Philos_Tone 37 4485 November 20, 2018 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  How can you explain the miracle of the Holy Fire? Thracian 42 10831 April 23, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Explain this, theists Foxaèr 58 11949 April 23, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7400 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7788 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2695 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain