Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 6:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My conversion story
My conversion story
I don't think I introduced myself, yet. 
My name's Dani and I'm an ex-Muslim.

Since I was a child, I loved science/math. 

When I was 6-7, that was the first time I knew what came after 100(My dad:"101, 102.."), I remember being ecstatic (Me:"So, I can count to a billion like that?!?!" Dad:"yes, good night"), I still remember the moment as clear as day. 
I also used to make my own mini-experiments in a small notebook I called my "Journal of Science" which I used for about a month when I was about 10, I think. I remember breaking multiple glass bottles and almost gave my friend a scar on his face. I used to watch a lot of sciency youtube videos and I always wanted to be some sort of scientist/mathematician when I grow up.

When I became about 12-13 years old, I started to defend my religion on atheist channels that I had recently found and I used to be very offended(mostly because of my mother*'s brainwashing). Let show you what I wrote when responding to a comment about terrorism in Islam:

Actually Islam is against murder or any kind of terrorism:

http://www.juancole.com/2013/04/islamic-forbids-terrorism.html

And the qur'an(Book of god) actually has a verse where it tells the non-believers, i don't worship what you worship and you don't worship what you worship, i have a religion and you have your own:

http://www.quran4theworld.com/transliteration/109.html

The "Islamic" State are terrorists that want to make a state for themselves,they are not islamic at all, most muslims are very kind:

https://9jamuslima.wordpress.com/2012/07/07/kindness-in-islam/
http://www.islamicfinder.org/articles/article.php?id=423&lang=english
http://theweek.com/speedreads/446542/obama-islamic-state-neither-islamic-nor-state
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/09/26/isis-islamic/

The Media nowadays is brainwashing everyone for the sole purpose of money, they do not care about anything except their reputation and revenue.

You can see how much I was brainwashed by my Mom*. But then when I was finally sick of defending it, I wanted to know the truth. So, I looked at several Atheist videos and I felt the same thing as I felt when I was 6, my love for science was stronger than my devotion to the big daddy in the sky(Thank God!), but also I felt really confused(Me:"Was my Mom lying to me the whole time?!?!?!!!!") and sad. I came to terms with it when I was about 13.

Then, one day when I was approaching my 14th birthday, I actually found an Atheist in real life. Let's say his name was Bob. I met Bob in tennis practice that my Mom forced me to go to(Me:"Mama, I don't want to go! I'm tired."), and I overheard a conversation between Bob, my coach and people in our tennis class.(Paraphrased) "What do you believe in Bob?" "I don't believe in anything". Throughout the class, I felt nervous and exited that I finally found someone like me in real life. After the class ended, I saw Bob was sitting next to the court, so I approached him and said: "I'm an Atheist too", so then we talked for a while and from that point on, I didn't feel bad about my Atheism anymore! Then when I was 14, I found an atheist forum...

*Weirdly enough, my dad never talked to me about god seriously(only sarcastically). His mom(my gandma) talks about god, but in a less biased way like my Mom and other (mom's mom) grandma. Now, nobody in my family(and most of my friends) know I'm an Atheist, so my (mom's mom) grandma sends me videos of "Allah's miracles" full of logical fallacies, who I'd love to share if anyone's interested.
RE: My conversion story
Welcome Dani !
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(August 27, 2016 at 10:39 am)chimp3 Wrote: Welcome Dani !

Big Grin

Did I put this in the wrong section?
Hiyas.

I think your point about the media being driven by money is spot-on.

(August 27, 2016 at 10:40 am)A Handmaid Wrote:
(August 27, 2016 at 10:39 am)chimp3 Wrote: Welcome Dani !

Big Grin

Did I put this in the wrong section?

Hey Dani,

Welcome to the forum, interesting story, you must have been brave when it came to renouncing your beliefs.

And yes, no worries, this forum is the correct place to post your OP.

Welcome again ^_^
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(August 27, 2016 at 12:51 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Hiyas.

I think your point about the media being driven by money is spot-on.

Yeah, that's about the only thing that was noteworthy in that paragraph. The rest is just cherry-picking.

(August 27, 2016 at 1:28 pm)Pandæmonium Wrote: Welcome to the forum, interesting story, you must have been brave when it came to renouncing your beliefs.

Well, if anybody accuses me of atheism,I just say I don't know what that word means/Laugh and say they must be joking because "Allah is the creator of this world, why would I ever not believe in him?".  Wink
Well, cherry-picking is what believers do. I don't mind Muslims who cherry-pick the nicer parts and ignore the brutal parts.

Welcome to AF
[Image: Peach-Streusel-Muffins-3.jpg]
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I'm glad you found us, Dani!
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Handmaid, I see a lot of intellectual promise in you.  If you are passionate about science and math, then please pursue it. With your curiosity and passion, you are bound to find beauty in whatever intellectual discipline you choose to pursue. In the spirit of Klaatu (The Day the Earth Stood Still, 1951), good luck in your quest  to make sense of the strange unreasoning attitudes continually surrounding you. Live long and prosper.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello from south florida! My coming out story... FollowingFeynman89 7 740 May 15, 2023 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Kingpin
  Funny and humiliating deconversion story nickbarca 6 588 October 14, 2020 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Story of Dance Dancefortwo 15 1270 September 28, 2018 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Doc's story, take 2 Dr H 15 1457 September 27, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Just joined – here's my story! GeorgiasTelescope 20 4038 June 25, 2017 at 4:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  My Story lkomza 12 1218 July 16, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Hello everyone....a friendly, new Atheist's story LovingBeing 16 3224 December 28, 2014 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Hi, this is my story KentuckySkeptic224 32 6189 October 2, 2014 at 3:22 am
Last Post: Losty
  My embarassing story and a favor dsquared 8 2646 June 10, 2014 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Hi, my story Holden Caulfield 10 1690 May 17, 2014 at 11:27 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain