Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can the space (or else measurable) be actually infinite?
Question 
Can the space (or else measurable) be actually infinite?
The (most popular) flat model of Universe is space-infinite. How the infinity is measured? Can you give me references to the papers about the actual infinity of space?
RE: Can the space (or else measurable) be actually infinite?
It doesn't have to be space-infinite to be flat. Standard cosmology works exactly the same if it is a spatially flat but finite manifold, e.g. a 3-torus, as long as all the radii are a bit larger than the observable universe, so I doubt somewhat that there are serious papers empirically arguing for actual infinteness. There are however papers looking for effects of *finiteness* in the cosmic microwave background, but so far no evidence has turned up, with means no more than that the universe is probably at least a bit larger than the observable universe - a conclusion that doesn't surprise anyone, really.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 27, 2016 at 4:26 pm)Alex K Wrote: It doesn't have to be space-infinite to be flat. Standard cosmology works exactly the same if it is a spatially flat but finite manifold, e.g. a 3-torus, as long as all the radii are a bit larger than the observable universe, so I doubt somewhat that there are serious papers empirically arguing for actual infinteness. There are however papers looking for effects of *finiteness* in the cosmic microwave background, but so far no evidence has turned up, with means no more than that the universe is probably at least a bit larger than the observable universe - a conclusion that doesn't surprise anyone, really.

Good day to you Alex! What is a 3-torus and does it predict the same negative/saddle like curvature of space as a "normal" 3d torus?

[Image: Torus.png]
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
(August 27, 2016 at 5:34 pm)Arkilogue Wrote:
(August 27, 2016 at 4:26 pm)Alex K Wrote: It doesn't have to be space-infinite to be flat. Standard cosmology works exactly the same if it is a spatially flat but finite manifold, e.g. a 3-torus, as long as all the radii are a bit larger than the observable universe, so I doubt somewhat that there are serious papers empirically arguing for actual infinteness. There are however papers looking for effects of *finiteness* in the cosmic microwave background, but so far no evidence has turned up, with means no more than that the universe is probably at least a bit larger than the observable universe - a conclusion that doesn't surprise anyone, really.

Good day to you Alex! What is a 3-torus and does it predict the same negative/saddle like curvature of space as a "normal" 3d torus?

What you show here is an embedding of a 2-torus into 3D space (and then shown as a projection onto our screens, but that's not important, the important thing is that we are dealing with, basically, a tire or donut). These embeddings are somewhat misleading because they look curved, They do however not reflect a saddle-like negative overall curvature of the underlying manifold. The apparent curvature is entirely an artifact of the attempt to show the 2-torus as embedded in 3D space, which forces you to distribute the vanishing curvature of the torus itself unevenly, with the outside of the embedded torus having positive curvature, the inside negative curvature. The two actually cancel exactly and the overall curvature is zero. The cosmology example I gave assumes a homogeneous torus in which this curvature is evenly distributed and vanishes everywhere, something that cannot be visualised without messing up that crucial property.
A better way to define and think about a homogeneous 2-torus (or 3-torus), which makes its intrinsic flatness more obvious, goes thusly:

Imagine a square or rectangular patch (of paper or whatever), and now imagine the opposite edges are identified as being the same. Then, if you leave on the right, you enter at the same height on the left, and if you leave through the bottom, you enter at the top, etc. This space is, in fact, topologically a 2-torus, and from the construction which starts with a flat square of paper, it is clear that it is a flat space. Only when you now try to embed this object entirely into 3D space by actually glueing the identified edges together, you are forced to deform it and have localized negative and positive curvature, which is however only a curvature of the embedding, not of the underlying manifold, the torus, itself, which can be thought of as flat.

For the purposes of cosmology, when people say "3-torus", they mean a flat 3D-space of this type, where you start with a cube or cuboid, where opposite faces are identified as the same, and where you always reenter on the opposite side if you "leave" it.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Sure, why not.

Maybe time runs in a loop too. That puts the kaibosh on all these silly regression arguments.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(August 27, 2016 at 5:40 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(August 27, 2016 at 5:34 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: Good day to you Alex! What is a 3-torus and does it predict the same negative/saddle like curvature of space as a "normal" 3d torus?

What you show here is an embedding of a 2-torus into 3D space (and then shown as a projection onto our screens, but that's not important, the important thing is that we are dealing with, basically, a tire or donut). These embeddings are somewhat misleading because they look curved, They do however not reflect a saddle-like negative overall curvature of the underlying manifold. The apparent curvature is entirely an artifact of the attempt to show the 2-torus as embedded in 3D space, which forces you to distribute the vanishing curvature of the torus itself unevenly, with the outside of the embedded torus having positive curvature, the inside negative curvature. The two actually cancel exactly and the overall curvature is zero. The cosmology example I gave assumes a homogeneous torus in which this curvature is evenly distributed and vanishes everywhere, something that cannot be visualised without messing up that crucial property.
A better way to define and think about a homogeneous 2-torus (or 3-torus), which makes its intrinsic flatness more obvious, goes thusly:

Imagine a square or rectangular patch (of paper or whatever), and now imagine the opposite edges are identified as being the same. Then, if you leave on the right, you enter at the same height on the left, and if you leave through the bottom, you enter at the top, etc. This space is, in fact, topologically a 2-torus, and from the construction which starts with a flat square of paper, it is clear that it is a flat space. Only when you now try to embed this object entirely into 3D space by actually glueing the identified edges together, you are forced to deform it and have localized negative and positive  curvature, which is however only a curvature of the embedding, not of the underlying manifold, the torus, itself, which can be thought of as flat.

For the purposes of cosmology, when people say "3-torus", they mean a flat 3D-space of this type, where you start with a cube or cuboid, where opposite faces are identified as the same, and where you always reenter on the opposite side if you "leave" it.

So Asteroids™ got it right?

(August 27, 2016 at 6:01 pm)robvalue Wrote: Sure, why not.

Maybe time runs in a loop too. That puts the kaibosh on all these silly regression arguments.

Are you familiar with the Ouroboros?
Maybe, if you make it 3D Smile

(August 27, 2016 at 7:03 pm)Alex K Wrote: Maybe, if you make it 3D Smile

So the universe is imagined to repeat in all directions after a certain distance?

That's almost as mind warping as a Clifford torus...

[Image: Clifford-torus.gif]
(August 27, 2016 at 7:10 pm)Arkilogue Wrote:
(August 27, 2016 at 7:03 pm)Alex K Wrote: Maybe, if you make it 3D Smile

So the universe is imagined to repeat in all directions after a certain distance?

That's almost as mind warping as a Clifford torus...

[Image: Clifford-torus.gif]

Yea, I'm not saying it's true, but it is a theoretical possibility that doesn't contradict any observations...

(August 27, 2016 at 7:26 pm)Alex K Wrote: Yea, I'm not saying it's true, but it is a theoretical possibility that doesn't contradict any observations...

But why reduce 3d spaces to 2d-manifolds? Can it not be 3d modeled in a way that does not contradict observation?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  James Webb Space Telescope pics pocaracas 18 2240 December 8, 2022 at 3:00 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1164 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A Simple Demonstration of Space/Time Relativity Rhondazvous 14 2574 August 26, 2019 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Vince
  Space Shuttle video site zebo-the-fat 0 508 October 6, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  No perfect circles in space... Jehanne 42 7202 July 23, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Trump space force: US to set up sixth military branch zebo-the-fat 47 6950 June 22, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3909 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  How Do Scientists Know It's Space Expanding Not Galaxies Moving? Rhondazvous 43 9904 August 18, 2017 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Space-Time: The Bopdie Twins: If Space is Expanding Isn't Time Expandin Too? Rhondazvous 14 1732 August 2, 2017 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  POLL: Is Space Continuous or Discrete? Severan 4 1852 July 14, 2017 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Iroscato