Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 6:31 pm

Poll: Would you've stayed religious?
This poll is closed.
Yes
21.05%
4 21.05%
No
52.63%
10 52.63%
Other
26.32%
5 26.32%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If the bible/quran/whatever was better, would you've remained theist?
If the bible/quran/whatever was better, would you've remained theist?
I remember leaving Islam because I found out how absurd the Qur'an is. If the Qur'an/Bible didn't contain supernatural effects, but correlated certain actions/objects with god(Like, for example, fire), would you've stayed religious?
RE: If the bible/quran/whatever was better, would you've remained theist?
Why would I?
I really have no idea. I don't do well with hypothetical alternate past realities.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
As a matter of fact I have never been a theist in the first place. Ever since I can remember myself I have never believed the fairy tales of the bible. Guess you can say I have always been an atheist to the bone.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
(August 28, 2016 at 5:37 am)A Handmaid Wrote: I remember leaving Islam because I found out how absurd the Qur'an is. If the Qur'an/Bible didn't contain supernatural effects, but correlated certain actions/objects with god(Like, for example, fire), would you've stayed religious?

There seems to be a trend amongst people from certain cultures that being religious is the default and you have to leave religion.
If suddenly all the Christians left, the next generation would not be Christian. the same holds true for every religion, you have to be inducted into it. Brain washed and lied to repeatedly by people you trust to get you to join. I've never been religious though my mum and gran were but never pushed it on me.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I voted yes, because "better" could mean it actually explains where the universe came from, and why there is something rather than nothing.
You'd have to tell me what you mean by "better". If Genesis read like a physics textbook that explained in detail how God created the universe and we could see evidence of that exact thing using our current technology, then yeah that would be pretty damning.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
No. People, especially adults need to stop brainwashing children into this kind of shit. Ask anyone about how childrens brains are, and they will tell you that they are like sponges, and it is at that age they need to learn the difference between fantasy and reality. As parents, we are all guilty of it i.e. buying a Yankees babytop for your son/daughter, taking your children to a ballgame of your favourite team, taking your children to see your favourite soccer team. If parents stopped brainwashing their children with tales of tooth fairies, easter bunnies, santa claus, God etc etc, then the world might just be a different place today. Believe what you want to believe, support your own baseball team instead of the team that your parents want you to support etc. As I said, we are all guilty of it one time or another.
Religious narratives already have a fair few good parts to them.  Sure, sure, alot of filler...but that's not the authors faults - the filler is generally an attempt by lesser editors to bridge the gaps between disparate works of fiction or commentary.  Never made me believe in a god regardless.

If the books read, as a poster above suggested...more like a textbook, I'd simply accept that someone understood "x" earlier than we expected them too. It's not as if these books were written by gods. Human hands, human ink, human paper, human knowledge.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 28, 2016 at 10:08 am)Rhythm Wrote: Religious narratives already have a fair few good parts to them.  Sure, sure, alot of filler...but that's not the authors faults - the filler is generally an attempt by lesser editors to bridge the gaps between disparate works of fiction or commentary.  Never made me believe in a god regardless.

If the books read, as the poster above suggested...like a physics textbook, I'd simply assume that someone understood physics earlier than we expected them too. It's not as if these books were written by gods.  Human hands, human ink, human paper, human knowledge.

Indeed there are some good parts, so it would ideally better in a fiction section of a libary since they do read as fiction. However, there are those who take these fiction stories seriously as you well know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 444 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1991 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 2011 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 979 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Help me understand you better pokey555 12 1777 August 10, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1569 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3184 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11314 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11880 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 148852 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock