Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 10:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simulation Theory Documentary
Simulation Theory Documentary
Just something interesting that I stumbled across...

RE: Simulation Theory Documentary
(August 28, 2016 at 9:48 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Just something interesting that I stumbled across...

Albeit interesting it is only a hypothesis that has not been tested.

Isn't this just kicking the bucket one notch back up the infinite regression fallacy? Besides being absolutely soul destroying and mind paralyzing of course.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
These days, my attitude is just that if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, let's stop wondering whether it could be something else.

There are countless possibilities.... Where do we start?

Eg: how can we ever know what's outside the sandbox if this is by design?
Also, how might this change anything? Or do we want or need it to?

Maybe god is a super technician who goes around creating universes to study them but keeps them all separate from each other so as to not contaminate the results...

I personally don't believe we can ever understand the quantum entanglement dilemma unless we have a paradigm shift in thinking. And maybe by then, we'll be gods ourselves to others...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(August 28, 2016 at 10:59 pm)ignoramus Wrote: These days, my attitude is just that if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, let's stop wondering whether it could be something else.  

There are countless possibilities.... Where do we start?

Eg: how can we ever know what's outside the sandbox if this is by design?
Also, how might this change anything? Or do we want or need it to?

Maybe god is a super technician who goes around creating universes to study them but keeps them all separate from each other so as to not contaminate the results...

I personally don't believe we can ever understand the quantum entanglement dilemma unless we have a paradigm shift in  thinking. And maybe by then, we'll be gods ourselves to others...

I've found very few plausible possibilities for the prior to inflation state: Quantum nothing (currently very new and popular), finite something (also popular but seen as "old style") or infinite something which is the oldest idea of all these and vehemently railed against by theist and atheist alike, shunned by cosmologists and mathematicians, and constantly renormalized for by quantum physicists.

So much trouble over such simple an idea...a simple paradigm shift of perspective to that of the Infinite.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
(August 28, 2016 at 10:22 pm)ScienceAf Wrote: Albeit interesting it is only a hypothesis that has not been tested.

Your comment is similar to saying that evolution has not been tested. If you watch the video you will see how many experiments confirm the simulation hypothesis. It appears to have significant explanatory power and alternative theories, particularly materialism, have been falsified by those same experiments.
(August 28, 2016 at 10:50 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: Isn't this just kicking the bucket one notch back up the infinite regression fallacy?  Besides being absolutely soul destroying and mind paralyzing of course.

A necessary being will avoid infinite regress. Next, the simulation theory does not really seem all that soul killing to me. It depends how how you interpret and/or apply it, particularly in light of Aristotle's distinction between act and potency.
(August 29, 2016 at 10:42 am)ChadWooters Wrote:
(August 28, 2016 at 10:22 pm)ScienceAf Wrote: Albeit interesting it is only a hypothesis that has not been tested.

Your comment is similar to saying that evolution has not been tested. If you watch the video you will see how many experiments confirm the simulation hypothesis. It appears to have significant explanatory power and alternative theories, particularly materialism, have been falsified by those same experiments.

There's a difference between a hypothesis and a theory.
Evolution is a tested and (mostly) confirmed theory.
Simulation hypothesis is well... A hypothesis.
You can look up the difference because I'm to tired to explain it today.

(August 29, 2016 at 10:42 am)ChadWooters Wrote:

I think you might be writing checks the hypothesis can't cash, Chad.

If you don't mind, describe what it explains..particularly what it explains that is not better explained elsewise?
If you don't mind, lay out the falsification of materialism contained within thoes experiements, particularly what experiment both validated the hypothesis and falsified materialism, as you see it?

For extra credit, explain how a falsification of materialism might be contained within a necessarily materialistic framework...like a scientific experiment?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 29, 2016 at 11:21 am)Rhythm Wrote: If you don't mind, describe what it explains..particularly what it explains that is not better explained elsewise?...If you don't mind, lay out the falsification of materialism contained within thoes experiements, particularly what experiment both validated the hypothesis and falsified materialism, as you see it?

If you had actually watched the movie you would not be asking me those questions; but rather, responding to them directly. Afraid of what you might learn?

(August 29, 2016 at 11:21 am)Rhythm Wrote: For extra credit, explain how a falsification of materialism might be contained within a necessarily materialistic framework...like a scientific experiment?

You must be joking if you think that science can only be conducted within a materialist framework. Maybe you would care to explain why science can only be conducted within a materialist framework? What you are really doing is defining away anything that doesn't fit inside you small little box of things you consider possible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star Trek theory Won2blv 10 953 June 24, 2023 at 6:53 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Strayan skool system -documentary.. ignoramus 5 530 November 26, 2019 at 10:56 am
  I just watched a nature documentary. Brian37 1 385 July 20, 2019 at 6:29 am
  Apollo 11 documentary.... Brian37 16 1234 July 17, 2019 at 1:34 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Simulation Theory according to Dilbert Neo-Scholastic 110 14849 May 10, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Intelligent Design as a scientific theory? SuperSentient 26 5971 March 26, 2017 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Fascinating Documentary Minimalist 11 1420 May 4, 2016 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  New theory on how life began KUSA 19 3667 March 3, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  New theory on Aboigenesis StuW 11 3701 February 26, 2015 at 4:11 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  Can you give any evidence for Darwin's theory? Walker_Lee 51 9706 May 14, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Simon Moon