Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Necessary Being?
A Necessary Being?
Is there anything wrong with a Necessary Being per se?

Is there really anything incoherent or illogical about the very concept of a Necessary Being? In other words, can anyone come up with reasons why a Necessary Being is impossible? Or have we now accepted that it is certainly possible for there to be a Necessary Being?

By "Necessary Being," I mean something that cannot not exist. In other words, "existence" is in the very essence/definition of that thing.
RE: A Necessary Being?
(August 29, 2016 at 4:13 pm)TheMuslim Wrote: Is there anything wrong with a Necessary Being per se?

Is there really anything incoherent or illogical about the very concept of a Necessary Being? In other words, can anyone come up with reasons why a Necessary Being is impossible? Or have we now accepted that it is certainly possible for there to be a Necessary Being?

By "Necessary Being," I mean something that cannot not exist. In other words, "existence" is in the very essence/definition of that thing.

Why "being"?
"Being" means existing in space and time which of course implied an inevitable ending.

A "necessary" being suggest an existence beyond the normal parameters given above, mere metaphysical speculation...though I'd enjoy pondering an argument for.
(August 29, 2016 at 4:37 pm)Irrational Wrote:
(August 29, 2016 at 4:13 pm)TheMuslim Wrote: Is there anything wrong with a Necessary Being per se?

Why "being"?

By "being," I mean "something that exists." That's one of the official definitions for the word "being" according to Merriam-Webster.

I've thought about using some other term, such as "Necessary Existent," but the most popular terminology for "something which cannot not exist" is "Necessary Being," so I stuck with that.

I don't know all the ins and outs of existence so I'd have to say I don't know the answer to the question.

I was considering not replying at all but that might look ignorant.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

-ish.  The problems with the concept are today what the problems with the concept have always been.  
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/god-necessary-being/

Quote:Is there really anything incoherent or illogical about the very concept of a Necessary Being?
Not that I can think of, but I'm not sure this tells us much. Consider the following.

All keyboards are items made of spruce.
All items made of spruce are time travel devices
Therefore all keyboards are time travel devices.  

The concept of keyboards-as-time travel devices is, thusly demonstrated, neither an illogical nor incoherent concept (these terms are redundant in context).  Is that the sort of thing you're aiming for with a necessary being?  

Quote:In other words, can anyone come up with reasons why a Necessary Being is impossible? Or have we now accepted that it is certainly possible for there to be a Necessary Being?
That would be a different question altogether, not the same question in other words.  Something need not be impossible to be illogical or incoherent. Something may be possible without it being logical or coherent.  As above, however, possibility doesn't tell us much...and the preceding comments are why possibility..on it's own, isn't all that informative with regards to the others.

Quote:By "Necessary Being," I mean something that cannot not exist. In other words, "existence" is in the very essence/definition of that thing.

Chances are..the worst problems will arise in what you attempt to -do- with that concept, or how you have arrived upon it as a conclusion.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 29, 2016 at 4:47 pm)paulpablo Wrote:

I don't know all the ins and outs of existence so I'd have to say I don't know the answer to the question.

I was considering not replying at all but that might look ignorant.

You don't have be omniscient to find problems with philosophical concepts. Kant, Hume, and many other philosophers have found logical problems in many concepts. So I was wondering if there was any inherently logical problems with the concept of a Necessary Being.

Can anyone show what exactly such a being would be necessary for?
Anything wrong with it? You just made it up. What use is such a concept unless you can demonstrate it has anything to do with reality?

Logical consistency does not imply existence.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
No need to get all worked up, fellas. I did not say or imply anything about whether a Necessary Being actually exists. In this thread, I am not trying to prove or assert that a Necessary Being exists. I am simply wondering if the very concept of a Necessary Being is logically impossible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Necessary Thing Ignorant 204 19579 April 24, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Necessary First Principles, Self-Evident Truths Mudhammam 4 1816 July 10, 2015 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Necessary Truths Exist Rational AKD 57 20318 December 25, 2013 at 6:39 am
Last Post: Rational AKD
  Do your beliefs imply a Necessary being exists? CliveStaples 124 46961 August 29, 2012 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Categories+Sheaves
  why things are rather than not...and necessary existence Mystic 15 8308 June 21, 2012 at 12:08 am
Last Post: Angrboda