Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Platonism
Platonism
So, I have an ongoing friendly dialogue with a philosopher friend.

He has been trying to prove to me that the cosmos is contingent, that it is dependent on something else for existence, in his belief a nonmaterial reality. He says that he cannot explain why the cosmos is contingent because unlike him I am not a physicist. I'd be interested in any ideas here on the cosmos being contingent.

He is also a platonist which figures into his above claim. He believes all of the cosmos is dependent on and a reflection of an eternal immaterial reality that contains and realizes all possibilities and which itself is dependent on nothing. That explanation of triangles he gave was hilarious to me. To me it seems obvious that we obtained an idea of circles and triangles and so on from perceiving similar shapes in the world and coming up with an idea. He thinks there is a perfect immaterial triangle from which all earthly triangles obtain their triangularity.

There is probably a better way to explain what seems to me my much more obvious explanation. What do you make of platonism?
RE: Platonism
Oh, Alex is going to have fun with this one, I bet.