Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 4:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contingency
Contingency
A claim was made to me that the cosmos is contingent and this is why physicists are coming up with theories of prior universes "before" the Big Bang, etc.

Do most physicists actually say our cosmos is depebdent on anything for its existence?
RE: Contingency
That depends.

Rolleyes
(August 31, 2016 at 9:13 pm)Panatheist Wrote: A claim was made to me that the cosmos is contingent and this is why physicists are coming up with theories of prior universes "before" the Big Bang, etc.

Do most physicists actually say our cosmos is depebdent on anything for its existence?

Are you confusing "cosmos" with "universe"?
(August 31, 2016 at 10:23 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(August 31, 2016 at 9:13 pm)Panatheist Wrote: A claim was made to me that the cosmos is contingent and this is why physicists are coming up with theories of prior universes "before" the Big Bang, etc.

Are you confusing "cosmos" with "universe"?

I've been using them synonomously I guess that's not correct.
Only in the dictionary. :-)
Quote:Do most physicists actually say our cosmos is depebdent on anything for its existence?

Only the ones with stuffy noses.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Very funny.
I was a little funny...

I wish I knew the answer to your op. Have you found nothing on Google? I know nothing about this stuff.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Great books by real physicists written for the lay persons abound. Lawrence Krauss, Simon Singh, Brian Greene to name a few.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I would say no one knows. If I'm wrong about that, I'd be interested to see. There are big problems when trying to "investigate" outside of what may very well be a closed reality of space/time. We hit extrapolation errors and the fallacy of composition very regularly, and we can't back anything up with evidence. Of course, if it turns out not to be closed, there is more hope.

There is a logical problem with assuming contingency, which is that whatever it is contingent on is presumably also contingent on something. This is one of the reasons why "first cause" arguments are so flawed. They just arbitrarily drop the assumption when they've reached their desired point.

It could still have been "created" by something, without being contingent upon this thing's continued existence. Or it could be a manifestation of a process in another reality. Who knows. It appears to me that these are questions beyond the scope of our enquiry, perhaps forever.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum