Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most people are sheep . . . great experiment!
Most people are sheep . . . great experiment!
This is fascinating.  I think it explains a lot about religion . . . and a lot of other human behaviors . . . very well.  Check it out. 

"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: Most people are sheep . . . great experiment!
Hehe. One of my elementary school teachers did a similar experiment with my class. We only found out that we were lab rats after the experiment was over, which totally worked. He did explain how and why it all happened to us, so we all got a great lesson out of it. I'm glad he did that. I just wish I was smart enough back then to apply that knowledge to more important things in my life like religion.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
That's ridiculous. There is no way I would have stood up to the beep.
I would have asked what was going on and if nobody had a good reason I wouldn't have done it.
Furthermore, I would have started to encourage others to not do it.
Yeah, Milgram's work too. Sad stuff.

(September 2, 2016 at 11:37 pm)Little lunch Wrote: That's ridiculous. There is no way I would have stood up to the beep.
I would have asked what was going on and if nobody had a good reason I wouldn't have done it.
Furthermore, I would have started to encourage others to not do it.

I feel the same. My first step would have been to ask the person next to me why everyone stands up for the beep. My second step would be to live record the crazies at my eye doctor onto Facebook. Lol
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
^ Lmao.

This is tricky, guys. Don't be so sure you wouldn't do it. And I'll tell you why. The first time it happens, when you see so many people doing the same thing around you, you wouldn't start imagining psychological experiments or anything like that. You'd naturally assume there's a very good reason for it - here are ten perfectly normal strangers doing it, why would they unless the staff there asked them to? So you have to do it too. Granted, you'll get curious afterwards when they do it again, but then you'll have already been hooked, so to speak, so it will be far more likely that you'll continue to comform rather than stop. A couple of principles are at play here, besides just social comformity. If you are to grant me that you'll likely stand up at least once, then the consistency principle kicks in. You have a deep need to make your behaviour look consistent, otherwise you feel awkward. So you'll do it again and again if everyone else does it as well.

I'm not saying I know everyone would do it, or even if I'd do it. This might very well depend on the person and the circumstances. I just think there's more to it than meets the eye, don't be so quick to think you'd act any differently than the people in the video. You wouldn't be thinking about it as much, for one, and there would be all these mental processes making you want to do it instead.
(September 2, 2016 at 11:43 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Yeah, Milgram's work too. Sad stuff.

This kind of innate behaviour is also quite useful, in fact it's far more often useful rather than not, especially in today's complex world. People just need to educate themselves about it in order to know how to counter this same kind of thing when it acts against them instead.
This behavior is one of the ways humans learn. We emulate authority, and we emulate majority. It's built into all of us, even atheists. I don't even find it sad. I do wish people would question more before emulating, but the emulating part, you do it ALL THE TIME, without even realizing it. The speed you drive is regulated by other drivers around you as much as the speed limit on a sign or your own conscious "choice". Half the things you do and like were probably learned in this sort of monkey see, monkey do sort of way from your family and in places like Kindergarden. Don't knock it. It's very important that humans do this, societies would not function without it.

Just teach people to question, also. Smile
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I have a very hard time believing no one stopped to ask what the hell they were standing up for. I may very well have stood up, but I most certainly would have gone to the receptionist and asked "Excuse me..what's this beeping all about?"

If she couldn't or wouldn't give me an answer that made some damn sense, I'd become very nervous and freaked out, tbh. 

I'd probably hightail it out of there. 
I do have quite an imagination, though; I've watched and read way too much horror/sci-fi to just let that sort of weirdness slide.

"What the fuck is this beep doing to my brain? Tell me! Tell me!"
I think what throws it off for me is that people watching is one of my favorite things to do. There's nothing more exciting than a bunch of weirdos being weird in a group. I just feel like I'd be so excited to video them that I wouldn't have time to think of joining in. People are so interesting. And sometimes people do really weird things.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earliest Modern Human Possibly Had Neanderthal Great-Great Grandparent Secular Elf 2 1002 June 29, 2015 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  What can other great apes really do? Alex K 20 4388 May 11, 2015 at 3:21 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Half Sheep half Goat born in Ireland downbeatplumb 11 2148 April 5, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Great barrier Reef ok for destruction by Australian government Gooders1002 19 5049 December 19, 2013 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Shit....not great news Minimalist 5 2301 June 10, 2013 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  All part of gods great plan. Zen Badger 15 4609 February 11, 2012 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Great (to the nth power) Grandpa was a Fish Minimalist 17 5759 August 24, 2011 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Justtristo