Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those of you that like sugary drinks.
For those of you that like sugary drinks.
Sweetened Beverage Consumption and Risk of Biliary Tract and Gallbladder Cancer in a Prospective Study.

J Natl Cancer Inst.  2016; 108(10) (ISSN: 1460-2105) Larsson SC; Giovannucci EL; Wolk A

BACKGROUND: Sugar-sweetened beverage consumption raises blood glucose concentration and has been positively associated with weight gain and type 2 diabetes, all of which have been implicated in the development of biliary tract cancer (BTC). This study examined the hypothesis that sweetened beverage consumption is positively associated with risk of BTC in a prospective study.

METHODS: The study population comprised 70 832 Swedish adults (55.9% men, age 45-83 years) from the Swedish Mammography Cohort and Cohort of Swedish Men who were free of cancer and diabetes and completed a food frequency questionnaire at baseline. Incident BTC case patients were ascertained through linkage with the Swedish Cancer Register. Cox proportional hazards regression model was used to analyze the data. All statistical tests were two-sided.

RESULTS: During a mean follow-up of 13.4 years, 127 extrahepatic BTC case patients (including 71 gallbladder cancers) and 21 intrahepatic BTC case patients were ascertained. After adjustment for other risk factors, women and men in the highest category of combined sugar-sweetened and artificially sweetened beverage consumption had a statistically significantly increased risk of extrahepatic BTC and gallbladder cancer. The multivariable hazard ratios for two or more servings per day (200 mL/serving) of sweetened beverages compared with no consumption were 1.79 (95% confidence interval [CI] = 1.02 to 3.13) for extrahepatic BTC and 2.24 (95% CI = 1.02 to 4.89) for gallbladder cancer. The corresponding hazard ratio for intrahepatic BTC was 1.69 (95% CI = 0.41 to 7.03).

CONCLUSIONS: These findings support the hypothesis that high consumption of sweetened beverages may increase the risk of BTC, particularly gallbladder cancer.

You can probably increase your odds by adding ETOH to your sugar drink on a routine basis. And take up smoking. No one lives for ever.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: For those of you that like sugary drinks.
You can't scare me into good health! La la la I can't hear you!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
sugary drinks are indeed the work of satan.
my husband has lost so many teeth, a dentist kept asking if he used crack, or method I forget which. but no, it was just decades of living on Mt Dew.
my mother is not a fan of candy or other junk food, but is overweight, has terrible blood pressure and diabetes. I blame decades of Pepsi. She drink diet Pepsi now. Talk about closing the barn door after the horse is out.

My hubby and I now restrict this kind of thing to Root beer once a month, on pizza night, and an occasional glass of oj with breakfast. everything else is milk or water, unsweetened tea and coffee.

sorry, my computer is having issues with the shift key...random caps, lol

But yeah, most people drink tons of horrid things and never really think twice. death and serious illness is something that happens to other people, or some time in the distant future. so why worry?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
So they tested Swedes. I'm not a Swede.

*sits down to a hearty meal of peppermint sticks fried in boiling sugar syrup*

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yes, I know that coca cola isn't healthy. But is is so good to have once in a while.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(September 9, 2016 at 7:14 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Sweetened Beverage Consumption and Risk of Biliary Tract and Gallbladder Cancer in a Prospective Study.

J Natl Cancer Inst.  2016; 108(10) (ISSN: 1460-2105) Larsson SC; Giovannucci EL; Wolk A

BACKGROUND: Sugar-sweetened beverage consumption raises blood glucose concentration and has been positively associated with weight gain and type 2 diabetes, all of which have been implicated in the development of biliary tract cancer (BTC). This study examined the hypothesis that sweetened beverage consumption is positively associated with risk of BTC in a prospective study.

METHODS: The study population comprised 70 832 Swedish adults (55.9% men, age 45-83 years) from the Swedish Mammography Cohort and Cohort of Swedish Men who were free of cancer and diabetes and completed a food frequency questionnaire at baseline. Incident BTC case patients were ascertained through linkage with the Swedish Cancer Register. Cox proportional hazards regression model was used to analyze the data. All statistical tests were two-sided.

RESULTS: During a mean follow-up of 13.4 years, 127 extrahepatic BTC case patients (including 71 gallbladder cancers) and 21 intrahepatic BTC case patients were ascertained. After adjustment for other risk factors, women and men in the highest category of combined sugar-sweetened and artificially sweetened beverage consumption had a statistically significantly increased risk of extrahepatic BTC and gallbladder cancer. The multivariable hazard ratios for two or more servings per day (200 mL/serving) of sweetened beverages compared with no consumption were 1.79 (95% confidence interval [CI] = 1.02 to 3.13) for extrahepatic BTC and 2.24 (95% CI = 1.02 to 4.89) for gallbladder cancer. The corresponding hazard ratio for intrahepatic BTC was 1.69 (95% CI = 0.41 to 7.03).

CONCLUSIONS: These findings support the hypothesis that high consumption of sweetened beverages may increase the risk of BTC, particularly gallbladder cancer.

You can probably increase your odds by adding ETOH to your sugar drink on a routine basis. And take up smoking. No one lives for ever.

Yeah, I have to stop drinking soda pop. I've been cutting back for months now by keeping track of my intake, but I haven't been able to full on quit.
Know what else increases your risk of death?
The passage of TIME. Big Grin

In all seriousness, I do avoid sugary drinks; only to maintain my weight, though.
I consume artificially sweetened beverages instead, which I believe are to linked to colorectal and bladder cancer.
You just can't win for losing, really...unless you drink nothing but water and spit, I guess.

Btw, if someone posts an article concerning a possible link between consuming plain water and various cancers, I'm going to scream.
I really only feel hydrated after water. Plain water. No flavoring. It is what it is. I'm boring. A Stepford Husband. 

I do miss Sierra Mist (natural) though. The thing they replaced it with is good, but hurts my stomach.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(September 9, 2016 at 7:14 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Sweetened Beverage Consumption and Risk of Biliary Tract and Gallbladder Cancer in a Prospective Study.

It's not like people care. Most people'd eat shit straight outta their ass for the rest of their life if it tasted good. And if didn't kill them over a week.
Maybe like 9 years.

I don't understand...
I'm 5, 9, eat sugar and fat all day.
Yet I'm 10-5 pounds under weight.
And my muscles are decent.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Woe unto those who depend on the bible for their knowledge of evolution Whateverist 1 554 August 7, 2018 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  OK fellow old farts, have those close to you monitor these. brewer 9 2911 May 2, 2017 at 7:18 am
Last Post: brewer
  For those of you that like high and tight cuts brewer 12 1667 December 6, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Way to go CA. Vaccinate those kids! brewer 1 771 July 1, 2016 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: vorlon13