Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:34 pm

Poll: Do you struggle to agree with that which you do not understand?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
44.44%
4 44.44%
No.
55.56%
5 55.56%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strong desire to understand.
Strong desire to understand.
How strong is your desire to understand? Do you struggle to agree with what you do not understand? Do you feel like you need to understand everything? Do you hate condescension?

Wondering how many peeps can relate to this.
RE: Strong desire to understand.
I try to understand what I don't agree with, and I hold off on condescension until some asshole tries talking down to me ... then I'll perhaps give him what-for, or simply overload his brain with syllables.

If I don't understand something, and someone's trying to make me agree. I can't possibly say yes until I know what I'm making a choice about.
(September 11, 2016 at 5:56 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: How strong is your desire to understand? Do you struggle to agree with what you do not understand? Do you feel like you need to understand everything? Do you hate condescension?

I have the strong desire to crack the skull open of condecending people.

I don't feel like I need to understand everything, there's loads of deep philosiphical threads on here that I don't understand and don't want to take time to understand.

I can't agree with what I don't understand.

My desire to understand is reflected in how much I care about the topic that I'm looking into.

I voted no. I don't struggle to agree with something I don't understand because I don't attempt to agree with something I don't understand.

By understand I mean have at least some vague understanding of.

I don't fully understand evolution and everything involved with it but I agree with mainstream science regarding evolution based on the understanding I have of it.

If one of the math wizards (or witches) on here shows me the answer to a complicated maths question I won't agree with them, I might put my trust in them that their answer is correct but I don't think I'd class that as agreement.

I think there's a difference between me saying "Yeh this guy probably knows what he's talking about, he's been proven to be reliable and clever before." And saying I agree with that person.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I'll say no. The important part is deciding what is and isn't a good way of coming to conclusions.

I have no problem agreeing that something I don't understand is probably true, based on indirect evidence. If a scientific theory has been posited for example, I understand the methodology involved, and I understand that it can be toppled at any moment. It only takes one person to point out that it's not falsifiable, or to falsify it, in order to topple it. So the fact that it's still there shows it's probably true.

I don't have the time, energy or expertise to be able to personally confirm everything myself. I take the approach that the more something affects me personally, the surer I want to be about it and the more I want to understand it, if possible.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
If I feel the need to actually agree or disagree with something, I'll try hard to understand it first. If I don't understand, my stance will most likely be neutral.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Good point. I have no problem at all just saying "I have no opinion", if I don't understand something enough.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 11, 2016 at 5:56 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: How strong is your desire to understand? Do you struggle to agree with what you do not understand? Do you feel like you need to understand everything? Do you hate condescension?

If I was ignorant of a topic or did not understand it, I would first own up to it and try to gain a basic understanding of the subject matter before agreeing with any of it (this is assuming I'm interested in it). For example, if an instructor expected me to just accept the validity of a mathematical idea without demonstrating why it works (he would demonstrate the proof later on in the semester), then I would feel awkward: I don't want to blindly accept things.  I enjoy the challenge of understanding unfamiliar ideas and being able to explain them in simple and concise language if possible. However, I do not have a need to understand everything: I've made peace with the fact that an individual can only know and accumulate a limited amount of knowledge in their lifetime.  As a man much smarter and wiser than myself said: "the smarter you are, then the more you know you don't know."

I have no problem with condescension. If someone is talking down to me, because I lack an adequate understanding of the subject matter, then I'll chalk it up for what it is: I'm ignorant of the subject matter and I can either let it go or educate myself.  If I choose to let it go, then I cannot in good conscience express any agreement or disagreement with it.

I struggled with comprehending the literature at 12 Steppers. What I found most helpful was attending regularly and noticing others who kept coming back were getting better.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yes, I try to understand as much as I can; but I'm also aware that there will just be some things that are well beyond me. I still try, though, but will leave the talking to the folks with the better grasp on whatever the subject. Whether I agree with it, or not, depends entirely on the subject matter.

I dislike condescension, but deal with it on a daily basis at work so I'm sort of numb to it.
“Life is like a grapefruit. Well, it's sort of orangey-yellow and dimpled on the outside, wet and squidgy in the middle. It's got pips inside, too. Oh, and some people have half a one for breakfast.”  - Ford Prefect

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual desire seems to be a curse for men Macoleco 121 7432 January 24, 2023 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Would you get rid of your sexual desire if you could? Macoleco 78 12170 October 16, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is developing a strong habit of philosophizing bad for your social skills? Edwardo Piet 31 4078 May 25, 2016 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Gemini
  Trying to Understand Many-Worlds Interpretation Better GrandizerII 45 6900 November 29, 2014 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  That which you do not understand is infinity... grassdoctor 7 1671 November 4, 2013 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Angrboda