Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infinity
Infinity
In the universe as we know it the following is true.
1.       Infinite time is time without end and as such can never be reached.
2.       Infinite distance can never be reached. Speed has a maximum which is the speed of light as such an infinite distance cannot be reached for the following reason.
Consider sending out a beam of light. The light will never reach infinity as it would need infinite time. An infinite time can never pass as its time without end.
3.        Nothing can be infinitely old. Consider making some object. Any time in the future it will always have a finite age as infinite time can never pass. Applying this to the past means that everything that exist is not infinity old or did not always exist.
4.       The truth of 3 has been demonstrated by the big bang which was the event that gave birth to the universe.
5.       The cause of the event that gave rise to the universe, if it had a property of infinity the same as the infinity in this universe then it in turn would be of a finite age and would need a creating event.
6.       Thus anything with a property of infinity the same as the infinity of this universe could not be the ultimate cause of this universe or any universe like it.
7.       Thus the ultimate cause of everything that exist has an infinity that is different or nothing like the infinity of this universe.
RE: Infinity
3. Nothing can be infinitely old.

How does that work out for Yawheh?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It's too early, dawg. It's too. Freakin'. Early.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Please square this: Nothing can be infinitely old

With this: Thus the ultimate cause of everything that exist has an infinity

Special plead much?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
[Image: 858acdcfb260583577e993bfc0b5ac5b.jpg]
He's saying God's infinity is not a time-based infinity, nor a spatial one, but a magi-special godly one.
Oh right. So he makes up a load of rules, then throws them out the window and says "god is special".

Why should I care about any of this, again?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Guy is Catholic. He is a victim.

From catholic site:

The doctrine of hell is so frightening that numerous heretical sects end up denying the reality of an eternal hell. The Unitarian-Universalists, the Seventh-day Adventists, the Jehovah’s Witnesses, the Christadelphians, the Christian Scientists, the Religious Scientists, the New Agers, and the Mormons—all have rejected or modified the doctrine of hell so radically that it is no longer a serious threat. In recent decades, this decay has even invaded mainstream Evangelicalism, and a number of major Evangelical figures have advocated the view that there is no eternal hell—the wicked will simply be annihilated.
[Image: holy-gibberish.jpg]
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(September 11, 2016 at 12:57 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: Guy is Catholic. He is a victim.

From catholic site:

The doctrine of hell is so frightening that numerous heretical sects end up denying the reality of an eternal hell. The Unitarian-Universalists, the Seventh-day Adventists, the Jehovah’s Witnesses, the Christadelphians, the Christian Scientists, the Religious Scientists, the New Agers, and the Mormons—all have rejected or modified the doctrine of hell so radically that it is no longer a serious threat. In recent decades, this decay has even invaded mainstream Evangelicalism, and a number of major Evangelical figures have advocated the view that there is no eternal hell—the wicked will simply be annihilated.
"Also, it makes God look like a major asshole that no rational person would worship even if He was standing in front of them." 

Forgot that part,  you did.  Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Actual Infinity in Reality? SteveII 478 65005 March 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Thinking about infinity Ignorant 71 7648 May 3, 2016 at 7:17 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Can Infinity be boundary (only reasonable answers) reality.Mathematician 9 2408 June 19, 2014 at 4:48 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  That which you do not understand is infinity... grassdoctor 7 1671 November 4, 2013 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Existence and Infinity (Warning: major rambling) Napoléon 58 24776 September 5, 2012 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  A One In An infinity Chance That God Exists. What Do You Guys Think? amateurlyinsightful 82 29639 July 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: amateurlyinsightful