Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious Expressions
Religious Expressions
I recently had a theist friend (yes, a 'friend' friend) question my use of religious expressions. He seems to feel that my use of religiously-based language indicates that - on some level - I harbour a belief in god, if only a residual one. I tried to explain that it happens to be a cultural habit, not a religious one. Pretty much on a par with using money with picture of the queen on it doesn't make me a monarchist.

Here are some of the expressions I find myself using:

'Jaysus wept / Suffering jaysus': Indicates frustration, usually (but not always) with another person.

'God-curst': Very bad person, place or thing.

'Since Christ was a corporal': A good or bad thing that rarely happens; a very long time.

'The Devil must be beating his wife': Used to describe two seemingly contradictory things that happen at the same time (e.g. rain on a sunny day).

'Jaysus, Mary and holy Saint Joseph': exclamation of great surprise.

Anyone have some others they'd like to share?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Religious Expressions
Sure --

Bleeding Christ, Fucking Christ, and Jesus Christ and General Jackson, Jesus Joseph and Mary -- all simple exclamations. Jumpin' Jehosephat, too.

Goddamnit (said as one word)

God-forsaken (out in the middle of nowhere; desolate).

Good lord!

Nailed to the cross -- got an ass-chewing, punished severely.

Climb down off'n your cross -- said to someone seeking undeserved sympathy.

There's more, they're skipping my head right now.

GODFUCKINGDAMNIT     ( usually uttered when I have done something to injure myself.)
JESUS CHRIST ON A MOTHERFUCKING MOTORBIKE.

Shouted for fun during mutual enthusiastic moments of silliness with a family member.
Lord, have mercy.

Lord, lord, lord.

Good Lord...

Oh, my God

Mon Dieu!

Jesus Christ on a f*ckin' cracker

Goddamnit

I'll be mindful of the last two when I'm speaking to believers, provided they aren't assholes; or if I don't know them well enough to tell if they're assholes or not.
Jesus Pole-vaulting Christ! (incredulity)
God Bless it! (reverse-curse word said through clenched teeth)

Those pretty much get me through my days. Wink
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
Jesus Fucking Christ !!

What would your vorlon be without religious imagery ??

Why, I might have to fuck Jesus's nail holes using shit for lube for REAL !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 11, 2016 at 9:08 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: God-forsaken (out in the middle of nowhere; desolate).

A pretty good description of Isreal... usually followed by "sh!thole" if referring to Jerusalem.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
By Grabthar's Hammer, By the Son's of warvan, You shall be avenged!!

(Something you say to a dying friend as the choke on their last breath, in order to give them comfort and to know their death is not in vain.)
Jesus titty fucking Christ is a personal favorite.

Jesus Christ on a Popsicle stick. Pogo stick works too.