Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AU's report on the Values Voter Summit
AU's report on the Values Voter Summit
End quote:  "The people at the Summit enjoyed talking about how Christianity was all about love, morality and goodness whilst preaching nothing but hatred towards various groups of equal human beings.   I have never witnessed a group more oblivious of their actions."    Rolleyes

The fundies are at it again.    http://au.org/blogs/wall-of-separation/i...-i-thought

[Image: ec663b6b7cc14df3cd20854b1eaef61b.jpg]
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: AU's report on the Values Voter Summit
It's easy to be oblivious when you spend most of your time in an echo chamber being spoon-fed your talking points. I found the picture more interesting than the article itself. Judging from that, it looks like a good majority of these "values voters" are about two election cycles away from wearing Depends and drinking their meals. If the hardcore conservative Christians hope to remain any kind of viable political force, rather than to just continue their mass whining and bitching to no one but themselves, they are going to have to figure out a way to appeal to a much younger demographic that largely isn't buying it.

Good luck with that.
For some stupid reason I thought this was going to be about gold.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Far more than half of the motherfuckers are "deplorable."
(September 12, 2016 at 9:09 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: It's easy to be oblivious when you spend most of your time in an echo chamber being spoon-fed your talking points. I found the picture more interesting than the article itself. Judging from that, it looks like a good majority of these "values voters" are about two election cycles away from wearing Depends and drinking their meals. If the hardcore conservative Christians hope to remain any kind of viable political force, rather than to just continue their mass whining and bitching to no one but themselves, they are going to have to figure out a way to appeal to a much younger demographic that largely isn't buying it.

Good luck with that.

That's exactly it. As the generations pass, the numbers of believers here in America decline. No doubt there's a baseline somewhere, but the fact is that we've seen the peak and ebb of the tide which started in, oh, perhaps '65, peaked in the early 90s, and is now waning. More stringent rules are in place in schools regarding religion. The courts have slapped down most all attempts at public displays on public property. Kids nowadays have the internet on their phones and are therefore less susceptible to parental programing.

The erosion has certainly started.

Will they figure out a way to appeal to the young? They'll have to drop any further support for homophobic bigotry, racism, and tamp down their message even more.

In a way, it's a sort of homeopathic atheism. There will be no knockout blow, simply an incremental dilution of their power in our society.

(September 12, 2016 at 10:11 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: That's exactly it. As the generations pass, the numbers of believers here in America decline. No doubt there's a baseline somewhere, but the fact is that we've seen the peak and ebb of the tide which started in, oh, perhaps '65, peaked in the early 90s, and is now waning. More stringent rules are in place in schools regarding religion. The courts have slapped down most all attempts at public displays on public property. Kids nowadays have the internet on their phones and are therefore less susceptible to parental programing.

The erosion has certainly started.

Will they figure out a way to appeal to the young? They'll have to drop any further support for homophobic bigotry, racism, and tamp down their message even more.

In a way, it's a sort of homeopathic atheism. There will be no knockout blow, simply an incremental dilution of their power in our society.

I agree entirely. There won't be a knockout, but they will, as a political force, begin to look a bit like a fighter who has taken ten rounds of punishment to the body. But it will be gradual, since the GOP and the conservative Christians have entered into a symbiotic relationship -- one, I suspect, about which each party is beginning to have some misgivings.

But you and I are the same age, Thump, and it is within our living memory when it wasn't always so. Evangelicals and white Southern Baptists -- though they voted as individuals, of course -- were as groups largely apolitical and disdained the messiness and compromise of politics as being too much 'of the world'. I can't really see them toning down their rhetoric regarding homosexuality, etc. so I expect in time that these groups will expire of their own irrelevance in the political arena and become more inward and ever more culturally tone deaf. Fine. Let them teach the Cross and Christ's redemption to anyone who cares to listen. I'll be content when they stop trying to push their unconstitutional agenda and their unscientific nonsense on the rest of us.
(September 12, 2016 at 9:09 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: It's easy to be oblivious when you spend most of your time in an echo chamber being spoon-fed your talking points. I found the picture more interesting than the article itself. Judging from that, it looks like a good majority of these "values voters" are about two election cycles away from wearing Depends and drinking their meals. If the hardcore conservative Christians hope to remain any kind of viable political force, rather than to just continue their mass whining and bitching to no one but themselves, they are going to have to figure out a way to appeal to a much younger demographic that largely isn't buying it.

Good luck with that.

I have definitely noticed the aging trend, Crossless.  Because of . . . life/shit happens, I am still having to play some Masses as a sub for extra cash.  I have played dozens of Catholic services in the last year where there was nobody under the age of 60 sitting in the pews.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(September 13, 2016 at 1:19 pm)drfuzzy Wrote:

Good luck with that.

I have definitely noticed the aging trend, Crossless.  Because of . . . life/shit happens, I am still having to play some Masses as a sub for extra cash.  I have played dozens of Catholic services in the last year where there was nobody under the age of 60 sitting in the pews.

You play organ? When you're ready to move on from your Mass gigs, given 'em a little going away gift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwtgaQZYDI

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Voter's Guide for Serious Catholics Dolorian 22 6402 September 11, 2014 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: vodkafan
  Bible has some shocking 'family values' - Finally, Some Sensible Writing Forsaken 24 10200 January 11, 2012 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  HIV and Family values; or how one person thinks Christianity could wipe out aids. CthulhuBen 10 4415 July 25, 2011 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: CthulhuBen
  Can christian values take us out of recession? bozo 1 1964 February 18, 2009 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: moodydaniel