Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Doesn't Earth Orbit alpha Centauri?
Why Doesn't Earth Orbit alpha Centauri?
We're nearly four times closer to Alpha centauri than to El Sol. So why hasn't that closer star pulled us out of orbit?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Why Doesn't Earth Orbit alpha Centauri?
There must be some kind of misunderstanding. Alpha Centauri is many thousand times further away than the Sun
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(September 13, 2016 at 11:02 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: We're nearly four times closer to Alpha centauri than to El Sol. So why hasn't that closer star pulled us out of orbit?

umm what? Huh

Distance to Alpha centauri is 4.367 light years
Distance to Sun is 0.00001581 light years
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Yeah Alpha Centauri is ~4.37 ly, the sun is only ~93 million miles.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
We don't actually know that proxima centauri is orbiting alpha centauri.

It most likely is, but it hasn't traversed enough of it's orbit since it's discovery for us to say with absolute certainty that it does.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Can we have a Bart Farts subforum, please.
(September 13, 2016 at 11:02 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: We're nearly four times closer to Alpha centauri than to El Sol.

Guess that explains the second, much larger sun in the sky that's killing most life on earth with its intense heat. Thought it was an acid flashback.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(September 13, 2016 at 12:10 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote:
(September 13, 2016 at 11:02 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: We're nearly four times closer to Alpha centauri than to El Sol.

Guess that explains the second, much larger sun in the sky that's killing most life on earth with its intense heat. Thought it was an acid flashback.

But both suns are closer to Centauri than they are to Earth. That explains why those guys always win the sun tan contests.  Angry
(September 13, 2016 at 11:07 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Yeah Alpha Centauri is ~4.37 ly, the sun is only ~93 million miles.

My understanding is light travels 6 million miles a year. So we are about 15.5 light years from El Sol. It is also my understanding that 15 is more than 4.37. while 4.37 X 6 is less than 93.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(September 13, 2016 at 12:18 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(September 13, 2016 at 12:10 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Guess that explains the second, much larger sun in the sky that's killing most life on earth with its intense heat. Thought it was an acid flashback.

But both suns are closer to Centauri than they are to Earth. That explains why those guys always win the sun tan contests.  Angry
Wait. You're saying that the Sun is closer to Centauri than it is to Earth?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 553 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The shape of Earth h311inac311 162 24583 December 4, 2022 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Young Earth Creationism LinuxGal 3 805 November 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 577 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4086 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Doesn't Quantam Mechanics Prove God? quantumleap 24 1858 June 27, 2019 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Irresponsible caretakers of Earth ignoramus 50 7255 April 9, 2018 at 8:12 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  What are the rationalizations of flat earth believers? ErGingerbreadMandude 48 6631 January 20, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  We have kittens in orbit around Saturn. Gawdzilla Sama 8 852 September 27, 2017 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Familiarity with the Earth Sciences TheBeardedDude 4 1051 August 25, 2017 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus