Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One for the Ladies
One for the Ladies
Another Reason Not to Douche

Anna Wald, MD, MPH reviewing Gonzalez NL et al. Epidemiology 2016 Jun 20.

Douching was associated with almost twofold higher risk for ovarian cancer.

Douching remains prevalent among U.S. women (especially black women) despite associations with adverse reproductive health outcomes, including pelvic inflammatory disease and ectopic pregnancy. In a prospective cohort study, investigators asked whether douching or genital talc use predicts risk for ovarian cancer in a cohort of some 50,000 women, each of whom had a sister with breast cancer.

After a median follow-up of 7 years, 154 women received diagnoses of ovarian cancer. Women who reported douching at baseline had significantly higher risk for ovarian cancer (hazard ratio, 1.8). Talc use was not associated with subsequent development of ovarian cancer.

Comment
Because products used for douching are categorized as cosmetics, regulation of their ingredients is minimal. Environmental chemicals such as phthalates are found at higher levels among women who douche. The practice disturbs the normal vaginal flora and may impair local immune defense. Assurance from clinicians that douching confers no health benefits — and that good hygiene need not include douching — may convince some women to stop. For those who choose to continue douching, however, use of tap water only is advised.

Note to readers: At the time NEJM Journal Watch reviewed this paper, its publisher noted that it was not in final form and that subsequent changes might be made.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

An addition from my youth. I have no self restraint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YJmUZXGxD0
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: One for the Ladies
Panic Panic Panic Panic
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yeah, but. . .

I like the smell of peaches and cream, not festering roadkill, when I go down for a light brunch.

*ducks*
(September 14, 2016 at 8:56 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Yeah, but. . .

I like the smell of peaches and cream, not festering roadkill, when I go down for a light brunch.

*ducks*

LOL, festering roadkill?!  What type of gutter slut are you wrapping your lips around anyway, Benny?  Perhaps it's time to switch up your target demographic?   Tongue
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Woah. Douching causes cancer!? Holy shit.

(September 14, 2016 at 9:02 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(September 14, 2016 at 8:56 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Yeah, but. . .

*ducks*

LOL, festering roadkill?!  What type of gutter slut are you wrapping your lips around anyway, Benny?  Perhaps it's time to switch up your target demographic?   Tongue

My wife.  I'll tell her you called her that, though.  She'll appreciate it. Tongue
One for the Ladies
(September 14, 2016 at 11:02 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(September 14, 2016 at 9:02 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: LOL, festering roadkill?!  What type of gutter slut are you wrapping your lips around anyway, Benny?  Perhaps it's time to switch up your target demographic?   Tongue

My wife.  I'll tell her you called her that, though.  She'll appreciate it. Tongue

LMAO! [emoji23]
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(September 14, 2016 at 12:35 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Another Reason Not to Douche

Anna Wald, MD, MPH reviewing Gonzalez NL et al. Epidemiology 2016 Jun 20.

Douching was associated with almost twofold higher risk for ovarian cancer.

Douching remains prevalent among U.S. women (especially black women) despite associations with adverse reproductive health outcomes, including pelvic inflammatory disease and ectopic pregnancy. In a prospective cohort study, investigators asked whether douching or genital talc use predicts risk for ovarian cancer in a cohort of some 50,000 women, each of whom had a sister with breast cancer.

After a median follow-up of 7 years, 154 women received diagnoses of ovarian cancer. Women who reported douching at baseline had significantly higher risk for ovarian cancer (hazard ratio, 1.8). Talc use was not associated with subsequent development of ovarian cancer.

Comment
Because products used for douching are categorized as cosmetics, regulation of their ingredients is minimal. Environmental chemicals such as phthalates are found at higher levels among women who douche. The practice disturbs the normal vaginal flora and may impair local immune defense. Assurance from clinicians that douching confers no health benefits — and that good hygiene need not include douching — may convince some women to stop. For those who choose to continue douching, however, use of tap water only is advised.

Note to readers: At the time NEJM Journal Watch reviewed this paper, its publisher noted that it was not in final form and that subsequent changes might be made.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

An addition from my youth. I have no self restraint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YJmUZXGxD0

That's something I'll share with my wife, as far as the douching goes. I won't share the clip below with her (doesn't much care for this genre), but I will share it with you folks. I haven't heard any Fugs music in a long time!

If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We gave Narcan to one particular addict 20 times in one month vorlon13 6 1016 October 4, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Brian37