Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone seen my neutral pointer?
Has anyone seen my neutral pointer?
I got into a little – ahem - “trouble” over in the Atheists forum, so I’ll tip-toe into here and try to start again with something new – what, for me, is an essential philosophical idea – a conceptual tool, of sorts.  I find it especially useful when it comes to thinking about and understanding what I call “the sense story.”  "The sense story" is what I call that very familiar combination of a physical description and belief - the combination of -

--- physically describable processes in WHAT WE BELIEVE TO BE a material world with  -

--- the materialist belief that everything we experience happens in material brains. 

That is, these physically describable things happen (part one of the story) and then – ta-da – I see and feel a world (part two). 

The concept, or perhaps it really is better to call it a conceptual tool, is what I call the “neutral pointer.”  A neutral pointer is a way of referring to something while saying as absolutely little of what you believe about it as possible. 

For example, I could say – talking about an apple I see – “that apple there that is made of matter existing in material world in which I am a material organism whose experiences happen in material brains” – or I could just point (and, using my neutral pointer) and say “that.”

For me, the most fundamental, and most important way of using the neutral pointer is to refer to this experience we learn to call “the world.”  My neutral pointer for what we, as children, learn to call “the world” is “THIS EXPERIENCE.”  The colors I experience, the sensations I experience, the spatial aspect of those experiences, etc. – that’s “this experience.” 

If I want to understand my nature as a being, I need a way to refer to this experience without a lot of ontological baggage – such as this is a material world, that I am made of matter, that my experience happens in a brain, etc., etc.  Once I have established my neutral pointer for what we learn to call “the material world” as “this experience,” I can now ask – and with my new tool think clearly about – questions such as “is this experience a material world?”  “Does this experience happen in a material brain?”  “Are the things I experience seeing made of atoms?”  “Does physical science describe events/happenings in this experience, or an underlying reality.”  "If there is an underlying reality, is it a material world or something else?"

I can also use it to refer to aspects of this experience.  “This body.”  “This space.”  “This brain.”  I can ask questions such as, “is this experience something happening in a material brain?”  If so – “if such a brain actually exists – does it exist in this body?”  “Is there light going into these eyes?”  “Does my experience of thinking happen in this head?”

For me, "physical world" is also a neutral pointer.  I use it to “point” to whatever reality physical models ACTUALLY DESCRIBE.  (I do not know what reality physical models describe.)  Maybe this experience is the physical world.  Maybe, if materialists are right, the physical world is a material world in which there exists a material brain in which this experience happens.  Maybe the physical world is something happening in “the mind of God” or in a “cosmic computer.”

Perhaps the most important role of the neutral pointer is that it doesn't carry the "I know what this world is" assumption that phrases like "the universe," "the material world," "the physical world" do.  These phrases carry ALL KINDS of ontological baggage.  There is, for me, an implicit "and what is this really" aspect to it.  It really helps me break out of the habitual materialist thinking we can't help but grow up with.

Anyway – and maybe I should have just asked this up front – is there already such a concept in the world of philosophy?  Does anyone have a similar concept?
RE: Has anyone seen my neutral pointer?
Perhaps you should try being more positive or negative, instead of so neutral.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 17, 2016 at 12:15 am)Bunburryist Wrote: Anyway – and maybe I should have just asked this up front – is there already such a concept in the world of philosophy?  Does anyone have a similar concept?
I'd venture that you might call it a kind of agnostic idealism, maybe? So as far as you can know, everything is ideas and experiences, but you don't know whether there might be some objective/material/physical reality underlying those ideas and experiences.

That word might not be as neutral as you want, but you say a lot of the stuff I've argued in these forums, and I identify as an agnostic, with a leaning toward idealism.
[Image: uh2pTCQ.jpg]
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
This is the dumbest shit I've read in a while. I say that using a neutral pointer, of course.
(September 17, 2016 at 2:21 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: This is the dumbest shit I've read in a while. I say that using a neutral pointer, of course.

When you react like this, but with no actual rationale behind your reaction, what does that mean?
(September 17, 2016 at 2:36 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(September 17, 2016 at 2:21 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: This is the dumbest shit I've read in a while. I say that using a neutral pointer, of course.

When you react like this, but with no actual rationale behind your reaction, what does that mean?

Oh, boy.
I haven't seen your neutral pointer, but as I understand it, there are plenty of rock crushers available here.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(September 17, 2016 at 8:51 am)Nymphadora Wrote: I haven't seen your neutral pointer, but as I understand it, there are plenty of rock crushers available here.

I see a lot of mockery and very little actual understanding or any rational response in this thread.  It's too bad.

I might suggest a forum rule-- that those entering threads in the philosophy section actually be willing to do some philosophy. Coming in and saying, "You're fucking dumb, and. . . ROCK CRUSHER!" is pointless, and unnecessarily disrespectful to those who might actually be interested in engaging in discussions about something intellectual.

I don't come into your cat meme threads and start shouting about Sartre, do I?
(September 17, 2016 at 10:06 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(September 17, 2016 at 8:51 am)Nymphadora Wrote: I haven't seen your neutral pointer, but as I understand it, there are plenty of rock crushers available here.

I see a lot of mockery and very little actual understanding or any rational response in this thread.  It's too bad.

I understood it. It's nonsense. Not even worth responding to. Give me a break.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2032 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer