Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exploring orientation and playing with perspective.
Exploring orientation and playing with perspective.
As humans, we have many inherent objective perspective biases.

Foremost is a point like consciousness as a singular physical body that can look around radially in all directions.
Our primary physical interaction with our environment is as a flat plane, limited on one side and we normally occupy only the first few meters above it. It actually exists as a much larger spherical membrane with a maximum usable depth (breathable air pressure) of 8km. Like a thick bubble.

We write our lives and count the days but there only has ever been one day. It dawned with the nuclear birth of our sun and the earth has never experienced it's setting.

Looking out into night sky space, it appears black to me. But taking the perspective of space itself, it's actually full of light. Only nearly all of it is traveling at an angle that does not converge on the eyes of an individual being on the shadow side surface of a planet. If I should shoot out beyond this galaxy, and pause to admire Andromeda, I'd still see light from new places. If I were to orbit her, they would still shine upon every step of our dance. No matter where I might go, there I am at a convergence point of photons. "My God...it's full of stars."

Take a look at a balloon through a window and watch it grow in size. One might assume that air was added to the inside as that's how we normally interact with balloons. The same effect can be achieved by lowering the air pressure in the room, the air inside the balloon expands to match pressure. But some might say "It doesn't matter, the balloon still expands!" And I ask "Is the material of the balloon actually expanding?" Because I can count 2 ways it's contracting: The rubber membrane is contracting radially ("pulled thinner") and it is contracting as a horizontal curve outward in all directions. These combine as a contraction trajectory held in tension towards the volume center of a spherical membrane. It wants to collapse the space within because the actual material of the balloon wants to expand back out to rest tension, taking up the voluminous space it used to before the void space within existed.

My next major post will be applying this shift of perspective to the Big Bang Theory but first, reflect a bit, offer some criticism or you own examples. This thread is intended to be a place of sharing based on the joy of discovery and thrill of skillful travel. I appreciate you all as fellow map makers and am looking forward to hearing about the places you've looked from and your methods of successful navigation. Cheers!
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
RE: Exploring orientation and playing with perspective.
Quote:and it is contracting as a horizontal curve outward in all directions

I don't get that?
RE: Exploring orientation and playing with perspective.
(September 22, 2016 at 8:41 pm)fdesilva Wrote:
Quote:and it is contracting as a horizontal curve outward in all directions

I don't get that?

Wow, someone replied! I thought this thread was dead in the water...

Bring your point of perspective to the surface of the inflating balloon and look around as it expands... The surface area is increasing/expanding only because the thickness of the rubber is decreasing/contracting. The air volume inside is expanding and the balloon material itself reacts by contracting.

Also, if you don't increase the scale of your point of perspective with the expanding volume of the balloon, the apparent curvature decreases/contracts approaching a flat plane like we see looking around on "balloon earth".

If your point of perspective increase scale with the balloon, apparent curvature remains the same. A sphere is a sphere no matter how big or small. Pi does not change.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 8696 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? zainab 257 13980 January 25, 2019 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Are we all playing one giant videogame? Fake Messiah 23 2186 October 11, 2016 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2883 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1415 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  Playing Reality like a Video Game? sswhateverlove 33 6615 September 15, 2014 at 8:30 am
Last Post: sswhateverlove
  [split] Do you think "necrophilia" can be considered a legit sexual orientation? Love 7 3755 May 4, 2013 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Violet
  Do you think "necrophilia" can be considered a legit sexual orientation? Jextin 71 15423 March 28, 2013 at 11:15 am
Last Post: catfish
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11154 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9150 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad