Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there another motivation for christian belief?
Is there another motivation for christian belief?
When I analyze all the motivations I can think of they all come down to fear.

I won't go to heaven.
I will go to hell.
I won't be accepted.
I will be alone.
I won't be loved.
I won't be comforted.
And on and on.

When I boil any motivation down I come up with fear. Frankly, that's pretty fucked up.

Then once you're in, other motivations take over. Power, money, manipulation, superiority, .............
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Is there another motivation for christian belief?
You're forgetting stupidity
go along with the herd

don't stand out

brought up that way

scripture cherry picking makes it palatable, I'm not inconvenienced the least

get to feel better than [insert appropriate group that are obviously fucking sinners]

keep mom happy

keep the wife happy

was browbeat into promising to attend church when the fucking kid got baptized

see that new church sexretary? hubba hubba !!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Power.

"I'm chosen by God"

"I'm a better person than you"

"You're a douche, I'm going to enjoy watching you suffer in the next world"

"The poor will inherit the earth"

Christianity is rather unique in the way it turns weakness or deficiencies into virtues. The downtrodden, the resentful, the sickly and the weak; they're going to have the last laugh at the very end at everyone who stood over them in life. Zoroaster may well have had a similar idea, but there's not so much evidence to suggest he was as focused upon laying out the specifics on how to behave (he had plenty to say about ritual); hence why the Zoroastrian's as far as I know haven't got a reason to hate women who've had abortions or gays.

Perhaps I'm taking too overtly a Nietzschean/Freudian view upon this. I think a longing for power lies at the core alongside fear.
(September 19, 2016 at 4:55 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: go along with the herd

don't stand out

brought up that way

scripture cherry picking makes it palatable, I'm not inconvenienced the least

get to feel better than [insert appropriate group that are obviously fucking sinners]

keep mom happy

keep the wife happy

was browbeat into promising to attend church when the fucking kid got baptized

see that new church sexretary?  hubba hubba !!

Except for brought up that way all I see is a fear motive. Get to feel better than, scripture cherry picking and see that new church sexretary are motives after you're in. .
(September 19, 2016 at 4:58 pm)SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck Wrote: Power.

"I'm chosen by God"

Christianity is rather unique in the way it turns weakness or deficiencies into virtues. The downtrodden, the resentful, the sickly and the weak; they're going to have the last laugh at the very end at everyone who stood over them in life. Zoroaster may well have had a similar idea, but there's not so much evidence to suggest he was as focused upon laying out the specifics on how to behave (he had plenty to say about ritual); hence why the Zoroastrian's as far as I know haven't got a reason to hate women who've had abortions or gays.

Perhaps I'm taking too overtly a Nietzschean/Freudian view upon this. I think a longing for power lies at the core alongside fear.

Power is a motive once you're in, when you can then use fear as a tool.
(September 19, 2016 at 5:29 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(September 19, 2016 at 4:58 pm)SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck Wrote: Power.

"I'm chosen by God"

Power is a motive once you're in, when you can then use fear as a tool.

I agree, although I do think the promise of power is tempting too.

Look towards how the role of cleric in any abrahamic faith is presented. A semi mystical scholar, in some tradititions even blessed with magical powers to turn food into flesh and control the destinies of your flock. There's an aura of mystique and community some traditions have managed to build up, and that is something that attracts new converts.

It doesn't need to be a mystique in the incense and chastity sense, when the Osmond's began selling records more people across the Western world began attending Mormon meeting houses and converting. Granted it wasn't a huge number, but it was significant enough to be correlated to the beginning and peak of their careers (particularly Donny's for female converts). They portrayed an image of being blessed with wealth and an idyllic family life, and outsiders pounced on it eager to aquire the same happiness for themselves. To this date this remains the core of Mormon missionary activity, milk before the meat, show them how better off we are with God in our corner and what they can get if they join us.

I don't imagine it was very different for the Early Christians, although they were likely far more prone to the promise of supernatural power. If people were willing to die to acquire passage into the Kingdom of Heaven, it must have been something valuable. Like how everything is worth what you're willing to pay for it, if you see other people pay a lot for it odds are you'll imagine it to be worth a lot too. Goes for everything from a Damien Hirst piece to martyrdom.

If I throw a few streaks of paint at a canvas I likely have devalued a canvas. However if I say Pollock did it it suddenly becomes valuable. It gains worth and becomes a symbol of power, therefore elevating both its worth and my own in the view of others. Of course, only provided the viewer believes it is what it is claimed to be!
(September 19, 2016 at 4:53 pm)Napoléon Wrote: You're forgetting stupidity

Smart people believe, as well.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 19, 2016 at 5:46 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: Smart people believe, as well.

I don't doubt it, but it's still a motivating factor for others.
(September 19, 2016 at 5:47 pm)Napoléon Wrote: I don't doubt it, but it's still a motivating factor for others.

Yet I would not term it stupidity. It is more of a willful ignorance.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1323 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why not dismiss the trinitarian belief outright R00tKiT 80 7207 August 13, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Another christian complains Foxaèr 6 1099 December 10, 2020 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89281 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Belief Catharsis 57 4277 March 24, 2019 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Are there any Christian proselytizers left in this subforum? Jehanne 157 20994 October 8, 2018 at 1:05 pm
  The benefits of being christian. Where are there??? Dnte 212 34532 February 2, 2018 at 8:43 pm
  Another "how could any intelligent woman be a Christian?" thread drfuzzy 17 2840 September 14, 2016 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  My view of theism - theism analogous to belief in extra terrestrials joseph_ 4 1239 August 30, 2016 at 4:20 am
Last Post: Jarrey
  I don't do "lack of belief", bitch. Foxaèr 35 5897 March 21, 2016 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Panatheist