Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 6:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, I'm an Ex-Mormon Atheist
Hi, I'm an Ex-Mormon Atheist
Hi everyone.  I'm a graduate student in physics, an atheist, and an ex-Mormon. Leaving Mormonism was quite difficult for me, and the process took quite awhile, because I was a very devout Mormon.  I'm here because I'm having a different kind of crisis of faith, a crisis about my secular worldview. It seems that, just like as it was in Mormonism, much of what I was taught about how the secular world works is actually wrong.  I'm hoping to discuss it with some fellow freethinkers.
RE: Hi, I'm an Ex-Mormon Atheist
Welcome.

Start a thread about your concerns and tell us what's on your mind.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome.
Dying to live, living to die.
Welcome. Whereabouts are you from (don't have to say)? I am very intrigued by this secular crisis of yours. I agree, it needs a thread. I'd be curious to explore this.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Welcome to the forum.

I look forward to hearing your concerns.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 19, 2016 at 10:57 pm)c172 Wrote: Welcome. Whereabouts are you from (don't have to say)? I am very intrigued by this secular crisis of yours. I agree, it needs a thread. I'd be curious to explore this.

I live in sunny California  Wink  I did post in philosophy, but for some reason my post is not showing up.  I posted a question about it in the questions and problems forum.
welcome

I confess to being interested in the devout Mormonism aspect, especially considering that no one in the upper hierarchy of LDS is.

Angel
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 20, 2016 at 1:16 am)vorlon13 Wrote: welcome

I confess to being interested in the devout Mormonism aspect, especially considering that no one in the upper hierarchy of LDS is.

Angel

I'm not sure what you mean...you mean that no on in the upper hierarchy of LDS is devoutly Mormon?
They're pretty good at keeping the church running, but they are privy to details of LDS history that would preclude them from being 'devout' at this point.

Not sure where to start, and this topic needs a thread outside of the intro forum.

Perhaps you'd like to start a thread on what you found to be problematic in LDS and what precipitated your journey here?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 20, 2016 at 1:28 am)vorlon13 Wrote: They're pretty good at keeping the church running, but they are privy to details of LDS history that would preclude them from being 'devout' at this point.

Not sure where to start, and this topic needs a thread outside of the intro forum.

Perhaps you'd like to start a thread on what you found to be problematic in LDS and what precipitated your journey here?

There's quite a debate among ex-Mormons (or post-Mormons, as they often like to call themselves) about whether or not the upper leadership of the LDS Church are still true believers, or if they're just milking their power for the money and celebrity status.  Either way, the fact is that the upper leadership is in so deep that they pretty much couldn't get out even if they wanted to.  Occasionally, some have allowed their facade to crack, like Jeffery Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and have given us reason to believe that some of them may harbor doubts about the religion's truth claims.  

And yeah, I'll post another thread about my faith crisis and my journey out of Mormonism.  I was as Mormon as they get.  I was a Mormon missionary and I went to BYU.  The story spans a couple of years, so I'll keep it brief.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The only reason I became Mormon was because I snuck a taste of "Funeral Potatoes!" 😁 HankMoody316 10 1689 November 8, 2022 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  mormon ==> atheist azheathen 22 3794 January 10, 2014 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Used to be a Mormon Awsamb 15 2687 April 29, 2013 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Awsamb
  I am an ex-mormon scatterman 14 2413 November 25, 2011 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Former Mormon missionary Korihor80 10 3044 May 29, 2011 at 12:16 am
Last Post: tackattack
  I'm a Foreman (Former Mormon) Nathan6329 11 3923 May 25, 2011 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: Nathan6329