Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 12:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anime Club
Anime Club
I know the club concepts on AF does not go to well, but I would like to try to establish a "Anime Club". It would be a very causal layout with little to no serious commitment, just a place on here for the fans Anime. Those of you interested, let's try this club off the ground. One rule though, NO DUBBED anime allowed. I'm sure all who join agree with that rule.
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

RE: Anime Club
I like some anime, so sure. I don't know how a club thing works, though.

On another note, the "no dubbed" rule doesn't seem all too necessary to me. I get that a lot of dubbing is bad, but not always. In at least a few rare cases the dubbing can be very well done, while the original Japanese voices can be just terrible. I really just see that rule as a bit elitist for no good reason.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
I know, it's just that dub just spells "Eww". I never watch anime in dub and 99% of the time I can find the original in Japanese. I thought about getting God Eater Rage for PC when I saw it was dub only, why don't they just stick to the old rules put both audio tracks and let the gamer decide which language they want to hear the game in.

I've encountered very few bad Anime's in which the voice cast in Japanese was so bad that it was unwatchable. I think it should be just a social club for people to talk about anime's and to debate over things like us elitists who can't stand any anime dubbed into English. In my honest opinion, the only anime to due a decent job at a English dub was Cowboy Bepop.

I imagine it's generally hard to tell when a vocal performance is bad if you don't understand the language.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(September 21, 2016 at 8:22 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: I imagine it's generally hard to tell when a vocal performance is bad if you don't understand the language.

I think that's that a problem in all languages, it boils to a matter of personal opinion. Ex: People say Celine Dion has beautiful singing voice and Morgan Freeman has a great very peaceful speaking voice. I don't like Celine Dion's music or her singing voice at all, and I speak fluent English, and I like Morgan Freeman's voice. I'd imagine you be able form an opinion on Anime in Japanese language even if you don't speak Japanese; as long as you take time to look up the terms they use most commonly.

If you take words like "Senpai", we has anime enthusiasts know that it's a very important word to understand the meaning of. It's used so much in anime's we all watch and we know when a voice actor has a bad voice or an improper voice style for that character. Please tell me if I'm wrong with this point, but that's one example on a method I use to judge voice acting the Japanese language.

I was thinking more in line-to-line delivery, where I don't really know the flow of the language so what may sound fine to my ears may be incredibly stilted or awkward; I don't have the context to judge the delivery of a line as I would for an English speaking actor, that's all I mean.
I don't really know what senpai means, but if you mean in judging simply by the general tone and cadence of a voice, as what seems to suit a type of character, then that's all you really need to enjoy it.
(September 21, 2016 at 9:03 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: I was thinking more in line-to-line delivery, where I don't really know the flow of the language so what may sound fine to my ears may be incredibly stilted or awkward; I don't have the context to judge the delivery of a line as I would for an English speaking actor, that's all I mean.
I don't really know what senpai means, but if you mean in judging simply by the general tone and cadence of a voice, as what seems to suit a type of character, then that's all you really need to enjoy it.

In Japan, senpai (先輩 ?) is an upperclassman, someone of a higher age, or senior and kōhai (後輩 ?) is a protégé or junior. The mentor system is found at all levels of education, and in sports clubs, businesses, and informal or social organizations.

Seems like a very broad term. Could apply to a lot of different types of characters, depending on their relation to others.
Um I'm blind I can only watch dubbed or stuff I've seen in English already
(September 21, 2016 at 9:18 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Seems like a very broad term. Could apply to a lot of different types of characters, depending on their relation to others.

It's holds a standard for me, the way a Tsundere chacacter says it or replaces it with a other style of the words. I was just using it as an example of how I judge good voice acting. There's a lot to my judgment to it then by way, so I'm not being bias towards the Japanese voice actors.  Read the Wikki pages I post to understand, you'll get a deeper understand of anime. If you don't know what know either of those are.

Here is the Wikki page for Tsundere
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsundere#Terminology
Moe
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_(slang)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The first rule for "Hare club" is...... Brian37 10 683 January 26, 2020 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Is Anime Artistic? Caustic 60 3090 February 21, 2018 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Anime vs. Cartoons Mechaghostman2 37 8067 August 18, 2017 at 4:43 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Scorsese meets presided of pedophilia club Fake Messiah 10 2969 December 10, 2016 at 11:02 am
Last Post: Regina
  MUSIC CLUB MEETING #1 - "Creep On Creepin' On" Aegon 15 1936 August 22, 2016 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Book club Excited Penguin 9 1597 August 21, 2016 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  "Music Club"? Aegon 44 3354 August 18, 2016 at 12:26 am
Last Post: c172
  Film Club Excited Penguin 84 9325 May 5, 2016 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Film Club #2 - Coherence [Discussion] Heat 44 4479 March 29, 2016 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  Film Club #2 - Coherence Heat 15 2508 February 26, 2016 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Sterben