Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
500 Million Yahoo Accounts Hacked
500 Million Yahoo Accounts Hacked
http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/22/technolo...ta-breach/

Quote:Yahoo (YHOO, Tech30) confirmed on Thursday data "associated with at least 500 million user accounts" have been stolen in what may be one of the largest cybersecurity breaches ever.

The company said it believes a "state-sponsored actor" was behind the data breach, meaning an individual acting on behalf of a government. The breach is said to have occurred in late 2014.

"The account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (the vast majority with bcrypt) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers," Yahoo said in a statement.

Yahoo urges users to change their password and security questions and to review their accounts for suspicious activity.
RE: 500 Million Yahoo Accounts Hacked
Sooo....two years later and they are just now reporting this?

Honestly, if people are smart, they would be changing their passwords every three months or more often. I myself, float between 10 different ones.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Yahoo is shit tier anyway.
(September 23, 2016 at 1:23 am)Rayaan Wrote: http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/22/technolo...ta-breach/

Quote:Yahoo (YHOO, Tech30) confirmed on Thursday data "associated with at least 500 million user accounts" have been stolen in what may be one of the largest cybersecurity breaches ever.

The company said it believes a "state-sponsored actor" was behind the data breach, meaning an individual acting on behalf of a government. The breach is said to have occurred in late 2014.

"The account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (the vast majority with bcrypt) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers," Yahoo said in a statement.

Yahoo urges users to change their password and security questions and to review their accounts for suspicious activity.

I'm pretty sure I was a victim of this -- my account sent out three e-mails to everyone on my mailing list. Changed my password.

I may have to do this myself though I don't think I could cope with changing the passwords that regularly (I have enough to remember already).
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
Lucky then my Yahoo account became so filled with spam that I migrated over to Google some time in 2012.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(September 23, 2016 at 6:18 am)Tazzycorn Wrote: Lucky then my Yahoo account became so filled with spam that I migrated over to Google some time in 2012.

Pretty much same here.

I've been thinking about setting up my own email server though.
Thanks for the heads up. Password changed!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 23, 2016 at 5:54 am)Mr Greene Wrote: I may have to do this myself though I don't think I could cope with changing the passwords that regularly (I have enough to remember already).

I bought an address book that I keep organized with all the websites I use that require signing up. I pencil in the passwords, so that when I change them, I can erase the old ones and put the new ones in place.

Is it a pain in the ass? Sure. But my piece of mind is worth the time I take to ensure that my stuff is safe. It only takes seconds for someone to steal your identity, but it can take months, even years to try and get that straightened out and your credit score takes a huge hit as well.

You know that old saying... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Quote:Yahoo urges users to change their password and security questions and to review their accounts for suspicious activity.

You know, Rayaan.... I think a better choice would be to get rid of Yahoo and get a real email account.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saudi journalist killed and hacked inside Saudi embassy in Istanbul WinterHold 333 26872 January 16, 2021 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  17 Million Mink to be executed Foxaèr 9 396 November 6, 2020 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Sal
  BREAKING: Amazon boss's phone 'hacked by Saudi crown prince' WinterHold 47 2811 January 24, 2020 at 11:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Have you been hacked? brewer 0 313 January 18, 2019 at 7:51 am
Last Post: brewer
  Banksy painting self-destructs after selling at auction for $1.4 million Seraphina 6 807 October 7, 2018 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A $50 million fireworks display? Jehanne 14 1654 April 15, 2018 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Florida House Panel votes to arm teachers; Give 1 time $500 bonus for 132 hour course Divinity 30 2267 March 2, 2018 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Equifax hack, 143 million. brewer 37 5359 September 14, 2017 at 9:16 am
Last Post: brewer
  Muslim sues Little Ceasars for 100 million dollars after eating pepperoni CapnAwesome 25 6465 May 27, 2017 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  $81 million dollar bank heist !!! vorlon13 2 484 March 27, 2017 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf