Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acupunture - pseudoscience?
Acupunture - pseudoscience?
1. What makes you think it is pseudoscience?
2. If it is pseudoscience, how does it help people?
RE: Acupunture - pseudoscience?
It's a load of shit, yes.
Studies
Placebo

Next
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

No repeatable, consistent effects. Fails under scientific conditions - does no better than placebo effect.

Placebo effect.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(September 23, 2016 at 8:49 am)mcolafson Wrote: 1. What makes you think it is pseudoscience?
2. If it is pseudoscience, how does it help people?

I feel like the fact that you don't know how it helps people, such that you could just point to that and not have to ask that question, precludes it from being science right off the bat.

Scientists tend to, you know, require an understanding of the mechanism behind what's happening, before they'll accept that something is happening.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(September 23, 2016 at 8:49 am)Alex K Wrote: Studies
Placebo

Next

I highly doubt placebo effect would have helped me two times.

Then I know another person who it helped.

What studies?

Why should I believe these studies more than personal experience?

(damn, I know that theists also have personal experience with their God, but I am sure my p.e. is different)
----
On a side note, is it too hard for you people to express yourselves without vulgarisms?
(September 23, 2016 at 8:55 am)mcolafson Wrote:
Placebo

Next

What studies?

(damn, I know that theists also have personal experience with their God, but I am sure my p.e. is different)
----
On a side note, is it too hard for you people to express yourselves without vulgarisms?

Bolded mine.

That's...literally the logic for every pseudoscience out there.. That's how people justify healing crystals, homeopathy, the power of prayer, and being anti-vax.
- Thomas Jefferson
(September 23, 2016 at 8:55 am)mcolafson Wrote: I highly doubt placebo effect would have helped me two times.

Next time, you can just say "I don't know what the placebo effect is." Because I'll give you a hint: you can't develop an immunity to it.

Quote:Then I know another person who it helped.

And I know one that it didn't. Why privilege the experiences that align with what you want to be true, over ones that don't?

Quote:Why should I believe these studies more than personal experience?

Because if you believed personal experience over and above verifiable scientific data, then you would be obliging yourself to believe a large number of contradictory claims; I don't know if you've noticed, but you can kinda find people willing to claim personal experience of anything.

Oh, there's also that, you know, your personal experience does not contain any sort of verifiable evidence by which you could claim that it was the acupuncture itself that caused the effect you experienced, which would mean that you have, at best, a correlation that you're irrationally spinning into a causation, but why would simple logic stop you after the fallacious statement you just made above, right? Rolleyes

Quote:(damn, I know that theists also have personal experience with their God, but I am sure my p.e. is different)

So you understand that you're accepting those personal experiences you want to be true, while rejecting those you do not, and you don't see the special pleading there because...?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Not to mention that in general, the people who actively seek out acupuncture are those who already believe that it should work, which only increases their susceptibility to the placebo effect.
- Thomas Jefferson
(September 23, 2016 at 8:55 am)mcolafson Wrote:
Placebo

Next

What studies?

----
Why do you doubt that highly?

The many studies comparing 'real' acupuncture with sham acupuncture.

It's very easy to fall prey to confirmation bias, regression to the mean etc, and well-designed studies control for many things that mislead you when subjectively reporting your experiences.

Fuck cunt asshole! (*)

(*) we have a profanity / vulgarity quota we have to meet here, sorry if you find it off-putting

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How I Learned to Love Pseudoscience vulcanlogician 25 3253 October 13, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  What is a pseudoscience? carusmm 10 1922 May 31, 2016 at 8:51 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Pseudoscience and/is the God Claim Jenny A 2 1817 July 16, 2015 at 4:22 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Needed: A new sub-subforum: "Skepticism, Pseudoscience & Just Plain Bat Shit Crazy" Whateverist 26 7702 February 16, 2015 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Bill Nye on Pseudoscience Tea Earl Grey Hot 0 1129 May 14, 2014 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Science or Pseudoscience? Rayaan 15 5349 July 10, 2012 at 6:27 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Pseudoscience-De-Motivational KichigaiNeko 6 2945 May 23, 2012 at 5:41 am
Last Post: Kayenneh