Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposed: A common definition for "True Christian"
Proposed: A common definition for "True Christian"
This was be "A Christian who follows exactly every edict attributed to Jesus Christ found in any version of the Gospels and associated texts in the Bible."
RE: Proposed: A common definition for "True Christian"
It's going to be a short list.
(September 24, 2016 at 12:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It's going to be a short list.

Given the contradictions in the various versions I would say "impossible".
(September 24, 2016 at 12:22 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: This was be "A Christian who follows exactly every edict attributed to Jesus Christ found in any version of the Gospels and associated texts in the Bible."

No..

following edicts has nothing to do with Christianity. However 'edicts' define religion.

Do you understand what I am saying/doing? I am separating the religion from the title only Christ Himself establishes.

Why?

Because Christ Himself says: 21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many [a]miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’

Look at the list of things/works these men whom 'Christ does not know' have done. Furthermore look at to whom they are supposedly done for...

These men who seemingly perform miracles are the religious elite.

This means their is a sharp divide between what any religion says our most holy people are and to whom Christ says who even has the gift of salvation.

For instance if a man in the 'Church' performed any of the mircles in this list he would be herolded a saint maybe made pope. Christ says this man may not even be saved if one were to only look at his works.

So then who is 'Christian'/What is a true Christian?

It is not for us to decide or even claim. It is judgement of Christ. That said I do believe that most who do follow the teaching of Jesus Christ centered Christianity will find salvation, but I also believe that there will be many (what we in the church like to call) non-christians as well. Who are these people? literally God only knows. However I would believe that the list starts in the OT and goes out from there.

So then the question becomes how do we know if we are saved? By the grace known as the Holy Spirit. those who know and have received a measure of the Holy Spirit can find assurance in their salvation. Do all have this assureance who are saved? no Some do others (the strong) have been called to live in faith. Me I need a daily reminder to strengthen my resolve to those strong in the Faith. God knows what you need and will give it accordingly.
Ah, you're a cafeteria Christian. Got it.
Absolutely positively a "Cafeteria Christian" or a scripture cherry picker of any sort cannot be a "True Christian" as they hold themselves out to be the final arbiter over Christ's teachings.

One cannot follow Christ from a position of leadership over Him.

I'm bracing for some True Scotsman fallacy crap, but like Luther, I shall not be moved on this.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

A True Christian is whatever one you happen to be talking to at the time.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I prefer my take on it because;

1) It is correct

2) It blows all the 'sincerely held beliefs crapola' out of the water when it comes to christers going to court to deny others their services because of those suppose inviolate beliefs.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Quote:Do you understand what I am saying/doing?

Do you?  Because that has never been apparent.
(September 24, 2016 at 2:50 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Absolutely positively a "Cafeteria Christian" or a scripture cherry picker of any sort cannot be a "True Christian" as they hold themselves out to be the final arbiter over Christ's teachings.

One cannot follow Christ from a position of leadership over Him.

I'm bracing for some True Scotsman fallacy crap, but like Luther, I shall not be moved on this.
The bible has already been cherry picked to 66 books out of over 600.

"...work out your salvation with fear and trembling."

"Be thou a workman unashamed before God, rightly dividing the word of truth."

If you are to follow Christ, you must make his ways your own and work them as you are able. Accomplishment is good but orientation is better. Even when one inevitably back slides, one can still be pointed to the summit of the mountain.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 500 & Common Sense. Jehanne 53 4146 June 29, 2021 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88792 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Christian Libertarians and Atheists - Common Ground? lowellwballard 21 1775 May 13, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How we found out Evolution is true fredd bear 38 2737 March 26, 2019 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hey, Nobody Said It WASN'T True YahwehIsTheWay 17 2555 December 5, 2018 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  True Christianity Graufreud 53 4528 August 9, 2018 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Joods
  App for True Christians (TM) YahwehIsTheWay 1 686 April 29, 2017 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Christianity Can't Be True Because... pipw1995 75 11499 August 31, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  The problem with "One true church claim" by catholics Romney 8 2120 August 30, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  1 John 4:1 compared to The No True Scotsman Fallacy and sophisms Thomas Kelly252525 104 13411 June 20, 2016 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda