Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Humanity Ready for First Contact?
Is Humanity Ready for First Contact?
Suppose there is a broader community of sentient life-forms who are remarkably advanced (socially and technologically). Do you think they would be interested in learning about humanity?  If you were in their shoes, then what would be your criteria for making first contact? What are your observations of humanity and does humanity meet your criteria?  From your perspective, is humanity ready for first contact?

RE: Is Humanity Ready for First Contact?
Nah. Best to nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I'd find the least credible witness, in the remotest backwoods location, and strut around wearing plastic flashing antennae on my head and going "bleep bleep".

Oh, and I'd paint "UFO" on my ship in large, luminous letters.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Oh..I don't think they'd be interested in learning about us in an amicable sense.

They'd probably just want to subjugate us and perform anal probes.
Or simply mine this planet to the core, and put any surviving humans in an intergalactic zoo...and perform anal probes on them.
Damn that. 

"I'm from Virginia, and I say kill 'em all!"
(September 25, 2016 at 10:29 pm)Stimbo Wrote: I'd find the least credible witness, in the remotest backwoods location, and strut around wearing plastic flashing antennae on my head and going "bleep bleep".

Oh, and I'd paint "UFO" on my ship in large, luminous letters.

You mean, "Friday Nights"?
Dying to live, living to die.
If there was intelligent life out there with the technological ability to visit us, I am certain they would have already done their scoping and/or introduced themselves.

I am not referring to those nut jobs who claim from some psychological disorder that they have been taken.

If there was intelligent life elsewhere in the universe that has visited us, clearly we did not meet their criteria for contact.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Is humanity ready for first contact?

Rather;

are 'they' ready for the likes of me ????
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 26, 2016 at 12:10 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Is humanity ready for first contact?

Rather;

are 'they' ready for the likes of me ????

Yeah, I find it best to get them comfortable with a 2 inch diameter plug first.
aliens want me to probe THEM
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 26, 2016 at 12:25 am)vorlon13 Wrote: aliens want me to probe THEM

Pretty sure it's considered good manners.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it? Kernel Sohcahtoa 64 8317 November 9, 2016 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  First Contact - Prime Directive? ignoramus 4 1105 July 18, 2015 at 10:28 am
  Secular Humanism and Humanity: What are they? Ignorant 80 23135 March 22, 2015 at 6:45 am
  Humanity won't last forever. Edwardo Piet 28 10778 May 10, 2010 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Faith in Humanity Violet 21 15744 March 17, 2010 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Violet