Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A loving person
A loving person
A loving person who is reliant upon a myth to be loving toward others is not a loving person at all due to the fact that it basically means that individual would be unloving were that myth to be proven as such.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: A loving person
(September 26, 2016 at 2:09 am)Maelstrom Wrote: A loving person who is reliant upon a myth to be loving toward others is not a loving person at all due to the fact that it basically means that individual would be unloving were that myth to be proven as such.

Proven fact

Atheists make better christians than christians do the end. 
There is tons of studies and  other stuff out there you can find the evidence. 

http://bfy.tw/7srC - i googled that for you.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(September 26, 2016 at 2:09 am)Maelstrom Wrote: A loving person who is reliant upon a myth to be loving toward others is not a loving person at all [...]

A loving person is a loving person. It makes no sense to start with "A loving person who is X is not a loving person at all" whatever the 'X' represents.

If you said ""Loving person" who is X is not a loving person at all" it would have worked because you would have used air quotes as scare quotes (you can also use the singularized scare quotes themselves of course as well as speechmarks) to correctly use the use mention distinction. "Loving person" in quotes as opposed to just saying: loving person--is like saying "so-called loving person" in this context. Aside from clear context you could also simply use singularized scare quotes to make it extra extra clear.

For example 3 different ways to amend your statement:
(September 26, 2016 at 2:09 am)Maelstrom Wrote: A "loving person" who is reliant upon a myth to be loving toward others is not a loving person at all [...]
(September 26, 2016 at 2:09 am)Maelstrom Wrote: A 'loving person' who is reliant upon a myth to be loving toward others is not a loving person at all [...]
(September 26, 2016 at 2:09 am)Maelstrom Wrote: A so-called loving person who is reliant upon a myth to be loving toward others is not a loving person at all [...]

----

It is indeed often the case though that people who attempt to base their love on The Bible fall very very short of being a loving person.

Those who cherry-pick the fuck out of The Bible (and basically ignore the Old Testament completely) regularly are loving people... both in practice and in personality... but that's because by cherry-picking the fuck out of The Bible they are NOT basing their love on The Bible.
(September 26, 2016 at 2:15 am)dyresand Wrote: Atheists make better christians than christians do the end. 

What did you just call me? Tongue
I don't believe you. Get over it.
People who don't believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ (atheists) are better at following Jesus Christ (being a Christian) than people who believe in the divinity of Jesus Chirst (Christians)?

Huh

#pedantic
(September 26, 2016 at 2:09 am)Maelstrom Wrote: A loving person who is reliant upon a myth to be loving toward others is not a loving person at all due to the fact that it basically means that individual would be unloving were that myth to be proven as such.

meh...

potato/po-tat-toe

If God does not love you then what truly can you know of love?

You d-bags are a good example. Most of you only see love as an emotion or feeling.. Never having experiencing anymore than what love offers on the surface, yet you want to judge all of creation by your narrow band understanding of love tells you it is.
(September 26, 2016 at 12:33 pm)Drich Wrote:

meh...

potato/po-tat-toe

If God does not love you then what truly can you know of love?

You d-bags are a good example. Most of you only see love as an emotion or feeling.. Never having experiencing anymore than what love offers on the surface, yet you want to judge all of creation by your narrow band understanding of love tells you it is.

We know D(delusional)-rich, with out god we can know nothing. Blah, Blah, Blah!

Edit: Needed to define the D.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 26, 2016 at 2:59 am)Jesster Wrote:
(September 26, 2016 at 2:15 am)dyresand Wrote: Atheists make better christians than christians do the end. 

What did you just call me?  Tongue

I didn't mean it like that Tongue
but by definition we are pretty awesome people.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(September 26, 2016 at 12:33 pm)Drich Wrote: You d-bags are a good example.

.... Says the "christian". Dodgy

Your gawd must be so proud to use you as an example of how he wants people to know and feel his "love".
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(September 26, 2016 at 1:14 pm)dyresand Wrote:
(September 26, 2016 at 2:59 am)Jesster Wrote: What did you just call me?  Tongue

I didn't mean it like that Tongue
but by definition we are pretty awesome people.

Naw. Sadly. Not believing in gods doesn't make us awesome it just makes us more sane in one specific area Tongue

Although we do correlate with an above average intelligence Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Loving God Lek 299 30356 October 3, 2016 at 12:31 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Religion doesn't make you a better person dyresand 3 2138 August 29, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Loving Him means loving "them" Strider 9 2945 February 21, 2015 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Pope Francis is TIME's person of the year Napoléon 21 4595 December 20, 2013 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I think I found the dumbest person alive Nightfoot92 16 5712 August 14, 2013 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  JESUS CHRIST: Myth or Historical Person? Alter2Ego 208 85822 June 3, 2012 at 2:52 am
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  I still don't understand why anyone would make up a person like the Biblical Christ.. dave4shmups 96 34945 September 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  HIV and Family values; or how one person thinks Christianity could wipe out aids. CthulhuBen 10 4425 July 25, 2011 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: CthulhuBen