Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can We Sue Germany for WWII?
Can We Sue Germany for WWII?
So apparently 9/11 victims can sue Saudi Arabia for the terrorist attacks now that the US Congress has overridden Obama's veto of the bill that would allow such lawsuits.  

My first question is, how would such a lawsuit be enforced?  Let's say you did sue Saudi Arabia (in a US court, which is what the bill allows you to do) and you were awarded $3.4 million in damages.  Who is going to force Saudi Arabia to pay up?   What if they say they're not going to pay?  Who is going to enforce that?  If they don't pay, are we going to bomb them, at which point they would sue us for wrongful military action?

Secondly, this opens up a Pandora's Box of lawsuits for all kinds of historical grievances.  Can we sue Germany for WWII?  Can Japan sue us for nuking them on the grounds that the nuke may not have been absolutely necessary?  Can countries that experience civilian deaths from errant US drone strikes sue us?  

This seems to create a lot of problems.  What do you think?
RE: Can We Sue Germany for WWII?
Supposedly our CIA cannot connect the upper levels of the Saudi government to 9/11.

Without a smoking gun of that caliber, I'm thinking the lawsuit(s) are doomed.

. . as much as I'd like to see the duplicitous Saudi fucks held accountable.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

hmm, can I sue humanity for well documented historical acts of utter stupidity... or at least sue murica for letting the two current presidential candidates exist?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Quote:This seems to create a lot of problems.  What do you think?

Asinine legislation.

Wait until some bunch of scumbags sue us and then listen to those congressional scumbags whine about it.
It would seem that any monetary awards would be unenforceable. Who is going to make the Saudis pay?

I also can't figure out what the political motivation for the bill was. I can only think of two things:

1) Lobbying from defense contractors (like Lockheed Martin) who want to start a war to increase their profitability

2) Congress trying to appear compassionate and benevolent just before an election

Wars are very profitable for defense contractors, and I think that defense industry lobbyists were behind the "47 senators" fiasco that happened a little while back. But would they try to start a war this way?
Concerning the title, that matter has been settled as far as reparations etc. are concerned. I believe individuals can still sue, but not for starting the war prer se
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Quote:I also can't figure out what the political motivation for the bill was.

Which of these gutless pukes wants to hand their opponent that kind of an issue less than two months before the election.

"MY OPPONENT VOTED FOR SAUDI OIL SHEIKS AND AGAINST POOR 9-11 VICTIM's FAMILIES!"

Yeah.  Sure.
The only way I could see that working with any sort of common sense, is if you were suing people directly responsible. Instead, we've been bombing the shit out of the entire area.

We have precious few WWII vets in any of the participating countries as it is. It makes no sense to sue the generations afterwards who had not a fucking thing to do with that conflict.

I do want to sue American post-war baby boomers for what they've done to this country as they've aged, though.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(September 28, 2016 at 9:20 pm)InquiringMind Wrote: So apparently 9/11 victims can sue Saudi Arabia for the terrorist attacks now that the US Congress has overridden Obama's veto of the bill that would allow such lawsuits.  

My first question is, how would such a lawsuit be enforced?  Let's say you did sue Saudi Arabia (in a US court, which is what the bill allows you to do) and you were awarded $3.4 million in damages.  Who is going to force Saudi Arabia to pay up?   What if they say they're not going to pay?  Who is going to enforce that?  If they don't pay, are we going to bomb them, at which point they would sue us for wrongful military action?

Secondly, this opens up a Pandora's Box of lawsuits for all kinds of historical grievances.  Can we sue Germany for WWII?  Can Japan sue us for nuking them on the grounds that the nuke may not have been absolutely necessary?  Can countries that experience civilian deaths from errant US drone strikes sue us?  

This seems to create a lot of problems.  What do you think?

Germany paid $23bn in reparations after WW2, so probably no. German companies, however have been forced to reparations to people used as slave labour or their relatives (if they died).
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Also, there would be kind of a queue in suing Germany. The USA would be pretty much at the end of the line as far as damages go. Maybe second to last to Brazil.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are conservatives in this country trying to turn 'Murica into Nazi Germany? Foxaèr 11 1438 May 6, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Can someone tell me where in the 2nd amendment it says you can carry machine guns? NuclearEnergy 310 71859 May 16, 2017 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why is it Republicans can dish it out, but can't take it when someone throws it back NuclearEnergy 10 4460 April 27, 2017 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: DarkerEnergy
  Merkel will pay migrants to leave Germany account_inactive 26 4719 February 12, 2017 at 3:28 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Maybe I Should Sue This Guy Minimalist 1 641 September 16, 2016 at 1:42 am
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Fuck Man....When GERMANY Accuses You of War Crimes Minimalist 75 12436 January 2, 2015 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Dear American College students: Go to Germany TaraJo 12 4050 October 11, 2014 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Boehner: House should sue Obama Foxaèr 13 2829 July 8, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: CristW
  Nietzsche Understood that Germany Must be Destroyed EgoRaptor 103 21502 January 26, 2014 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Chas
  Germany & Austria Should Be Annexed to the Surrounding Countries EgoRaptor 15 3949 January 12, 2014 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Tiberius