Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is evidence?
What is evidence?
I had the sad opportunity to gather some forensic evidence in an unofficial capacity on the death of a fellow tree trimmer (I didn't know him). He had managed to crush himself with a large branch, standing in a crotch 30ft up in the air. As a tree trimmer, the majority of my job is not getting myself or others killed.

So I inspected the tree and found no spike holes. This was evidence to me he was not using climbing spurs, greatly reducing his options for safe standing positions. In the direction of the killer branch was a close fan palm with all it's branches crushed on one side. This was evidence to me that he probably laid the branch on the fan palm which bent down and spring loaded the branch to be flung butt first back onto him. I asked around and found out it was the last cut of a long day and the final large branch cut of that particular tree, the remaining was just 30ft of trunk.

So I deduced he had restricted himself to standing in the crotch having no spurs to stab into the vertical trunk, was rushing the job to get it done, miscalculated (or didn't calculate or direct) the angle of fall and didn't account for the reaction of the fan palm to sudden loading. I later found out he was free climbing without a belt or local line either.

The confluence of all these missteps resulted in his accidental suicide.

Yes it's tragic yet I have to look at it clinically and technically so the I don't make the same mistakes.

What I want to talk about is the nature of evidence in relation to what one is looking for. For instance I was looking for how the guy was climbing and the lack of spike holes was evidence to me he was not using climbing spurs. But I could have been wrong. I have tossed a rope into the canopy and hauled my self straight up with spurs on to skip a trunk covered in vines, but it's rare and a pain in the ass. This was not a large tree, 60ft top max and the main working area was only 30 ft up, easily accessible by a quick free climb. My deduction was later corroborated and he was using no safety equipment at all.

I did not get confirmation on the exact sequence of events that landed the branch in his lap, whether the fan palm threw it back at him or not. But my many years tree trimming tell me this is most likely the case. Again, I could be wrong. I could have asked an eye witness but it was traumatic enough for them without me making them re-live the moment, it was not a quick death.

It was relatively easy for me to pick out these pieces of evidence...because I am very familiar with the work and I was looking for specific things. But what If I wasn't and I didn't know what to look for? The same evidence (or lack there of) would be meaningless to someone with no experience.

If you have any questions, comments or criticisms on how I've navigated so far I'd love to hear them.

Next major post will get more existential with the question "what is the uncut tree itself 'evidence' of?" And is that an "ask-able" question?
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
RE: What is evidence?
@Thread Q

That which is evident.

(Have yall ever thought of just burning the trees down...lol,, or hitting them with a charge? Save all that dangerous climbing. Wink )
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 2, 2016 at 5:38 pm)Rhythm Wrote: @Thread Q

That which is evident.

(Have yall ever thought of just burning the trees down...lol,, or hitting them with a charge?  Save all that dangerous climbing. Wink )

What about the specific situation where I found lack of evidence of spike holes? Is that "evidence" he was not using spikes to climb?

(Burning trees tend to light other things on fire, exploding trees make a much larger mess to clean up including broken windows, high velocity impaling and blood. Much of my work is right next to houses.)
(October 2, 2016 at 5:55 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: What about the specific situation where I found lack of evidence of spike holes? Is that "evidence" he was not using spikes to climb?
Not the same question, is it, subtleties matter.  That something is evident, or in parlance -is- evidence..is one thing..what it's evidence -of- is another.  Copuldn;t answer that one for you from where I sit.  You seem to have offered at least one reason why it might not be.

Quote:(Burning trees tend to light other things on fire, exploding trees make a much larger mess to clean up including broken windows, high velocity impaling and blood. Much of my work is right next to houses.)
What kind of asshole builds a house next to trees that need to come down? Clearing the forest is step one in the human playbook.  Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 2, 2016 at 5:59 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(October 2, 2016 at 5:55 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: What about the specific situation where I found lack of evidence of spike holes? Is that "evidence" he was not using spikes to climb?
Not the same question, is it, subtleties matter.  That something is evident, or in parlance -is- evidence..is one thing..what it's evidence -of- is another.  Copuldn;t answer that one for you from where I sit.  You seem to have offered at least one reason why it might not be.

Quote:(Burning trees tend to light other things on fire, exploding trees make a much larger mess to clean up including broken windows, high velocity impaling and blood. Much of my work is right next to houses.)
What kind of asshole builds a house next to trees that need to come down?  Clearing the forest is step one in the human playbook.  Wink

But what I found was lack of evidence of something that "should" have been there. But in the same hand without the "should" I also did not find giant round tracks with 4 toenails so it was evident he was not using an elephant to trim the tree....which also would have been safer.

I know right? Freaking hippies..."I want to save the tree and build a courtyard around it!"..."Now I need to cut it down because it's cracking the foundation and destroying the roof!"

Me: "Great, now you can pay me all the extra money it will take to gently lower everything onto your roof and deck.....call me when you do it again." Hehe
(October 2, 2016 at 6:09 pm)Arkilogue Wrote:
(October 2, 2016 at 5:59 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Not the same question, is it, subtleties matter.  That something is evident, or in parlance -is- evidence..is one thing..what it's evidence -of- is another.  Copuldn;t answer that one for you from where I sit.  You seem to have offered at least one reason why it might not be.

What kind of asshole builds a house next to trees that need to come down?  Clearing the forest is step one in the human playbook.  Wink

But what I found was lack of evidence of something that "should" have been there.
Or not, as you yourself noted...but notice that this evidence is not -of- what you hope to answer with it....why he died.  That;s where people usually go wrong, the point of origin for many a "what constitutes evidence" question. Not speaking specifically of you, here, just in general, lol.

Quote:But in the same hand without the "should" I also did not find giant round tracks with 4 toenails so it was evident he was not using an elephant to trim the tree....which also would have been safer.
If I could clear trees with an elephant in this country I'd be in the clearcutting business.  

Quote:I know right? Freaking hippies..."I want to save the tree and build a courtyard around it!"..."Now I need to cut it down because it's cracking the foundation and destroying the roof!"

Me: "Great, now you can pay me all the extra money it will take to gently lower everything onto your roof and deck.....call me when you do it again." Hehe

Rgr that, I make my nut bilking hippies too.
(October 2, 2016 at 6:18 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(October 2, 2016 at 6:09 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: But what I found was lack of evidence of something that "should" have been there.
Or not, as you yourself noted...but notice that this evidence is not -of- what you hope to answer with it....why he died.  That;s where people usually go wrong, the point of origin for many a "what constitutes evidence" question.  Not speaking specifically of you, here, just in general, lol.

Quote:But in the same hand without the "should" I also did not find giant round tracks with 4 toenails so it was evident he was not using an elephant to trim the tree....which also would have been safer.
If I could clear trees with an elephant in this country I'd be in the clearcutting business.  

Quote:I know right? Freaking hippies..."I want to save the tree and build a courtyard around it!"..."Now I need to cut it down because it's cracking the foundation and destroying the roof!"

Rgr that, I make my nut bilking hippies too.

True that, even if he was wearing spurs standing in that same spot, he would have been crushed. But at least with a local line he could have dove out of the way without fear of a 30 ft freefall.

Can you imagine how vastly easier it would be using an elephant??? I can't even pick up a single twig with my nose let alone a 1100 lb log! I'll should see if Genesha is doing anything next week. Hehe
Good question, arkilogue. What is evidence?

This tree can be visualized with the naked eye. This unfortunate fellow a flesh and blood human being. Spike marks in the tree an obvious result of spike vs. tree. You have experience and knowledge of the tree trimmers trade. Your thorough investigation was possible without instrumentation. No microscope, telescopes, carbon 14 dating . A video recording of the event would have aided you in your analysis.

However, if you had not visualized the evidence at the scene but had merely done your investigation as a thought experiment you would have had no evidence, merely speculation.  You would have been able to imagine thousands of ways a man could perish in an accident such as this. A police or insurance investigator would quickly tire of your "evidence" and move you along. "Just the facts, please".

Now, I assume that Arkilogue will soon explain to us how he sees into the quantum world and outward to the the universe in its entirety. Through space time itself! Without so much as a particle accelerator or microwave telescope. I imagine he sees far into the universe while 30ft up a tree.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I kinda agree with Arky ... sometimes absence of evidence is evidence of absence. I wonder what other questions to which I might apply this principle? Thinking

(October 2, 2016 at 6:43 pm)chimp3 Wrote: I imagine he sees far into the universe while 30ft up a tree.
I can see far into the universe 1/3 of the way down a tequila bottle.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evidence of ET? Jehanne 54 7356 December 19, 2015 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Evidence vs proof? IanHulett 20 3827 December 14, 2015 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
  Empirical Evidence for Multiverse Neo-Scholastic 88 13241 December 10, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Evidence against creation Neber 51 14354 April 20, 2015 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Surgenator
  Can you give any evidence for Darwin's theory? Walker_Lee 51 9711 May 14, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Evidence for the Culprit in the Late Bronze Age Collapse in the Levant Minimalist 0 969 February 14, 2014 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  More Evidence...as if it were needed...that White Evangelicals Minimalist 18 5349 January 5, 2014 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: là bạn điên
  More Evidence of Evolution in Action Minimalist 8 3286 November 7, 2013 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Would this be decent evidence for reincarnation? Zone 58 17147 September 19, 2013 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Evidence zebo-the-fat 9 4735 June 15, 2012 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: Colanth