Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A few questions for Christians...
A few questions for Christians...
I guess these could apply to Muslims, too.

1. Did god have a choice in the universe he created? Or is this the only one he could have created?

2. Does everything happen according to god's plan?

That's it.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
RE: A few questions for Christians...
As far as my own beliefs go, yes and *yes.

* "According to God's plan" in the big picture/grand scheme sort of way, yes. This does not mean that every time a person chooses to hurt someone else, for example, it was done so "according to God's plan." This simply means that, being God, He is outside of time and so He has seen how in the end everything will be made right. Knowing the big picture, He has chosen to make the universe as it is, which includes things like letting us humans have free will and allowing nature to work as it does. In that sense, everything is all in God's plan.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(October 3, 2016 at 6:32 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: I guess these could apply to Muslims, too.

1. Did god have a choice in the universe he created? Or is this the only one he could have created?

That's it.
This is from my own works of faith and parallels much claimed by Christian source material.

1. No. All the universes, infinite in number and growing in number are all the same finite quantum wave-form expression of the infinite "particle" (with no boundary) God. They are identical in architecture yet develop in different spaces at different times. They will have differing developments but their fates are all the same and the forces within and around them do not differ. But they do mature. This view is more fundamental than "intelligent design" it is a quantum biological design and there is no other way a stable universe can exist within the Infinite and overwhelming God.

2. Essentially yes and mostly no. Teleologically God is like a bathtub and drain to the phenomenal waters of creation. It is the border and flow conditions imposed on the water but it does not directly shape all the temporary rising waves on the water. They largely do not matter to the fate of all water draining out the tub.

But as the universe is the embryonic expression of a living being, there is a maturation/development phase, and then a birth event. We are still being developed.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
Writers of fiction can make their characters do what ever they want them to do.

https://youtu.be/Q2l4bz1FT8U
(October 3, 2016 at 10:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Writers of fiction can make their characters do what ever they want them to do.

https://youtu.be/Q2l4bz1FT8U
Yeah but you gotta stick to your rules or else the film critics are going to crap all over it...and rightfully so!
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
Free will and precognition are contradictory.

I understand many religious people need both sides of the contradiction in order to continue to simultaneously pimp up their God, and excuse it from all accountability. I'd recommend dropping the pimping part, personally. A less than all powerful God can have valid excuses made on its behalf.

If our time is irrelevant to God, he knows everything we will do at the very instant he creates our reality. It has been pretermined, by him. He could have made things differently, to make us act any way he wants. Why he is creating this theatre to which he knows all the endings is another question, very rarely asked. Boredom, I guess. An experiment? Sadism. Ah yes.

If god doesn't have his own time, or some sort of equivalent, he can't act. He can't change anything. He certainly can't create anything, because there must have been some state beforehand in which the thing did not exist in that form.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I don't know about number 1. That God created anything at all is a bit of a mystery to me. Since God is Love he could only express that love toward something apart from himself. That seems to undermine the notion of God's self-sufficiency. Otherwise it is a problem to which I haven't devoted much thought.

However you seem to be asking something else. Is this the only possible universe God could have created? I do not know for sure although that would seem to be the case. The forces and constants of the physical universe appear to be quite arbitrary, as if contingent. It is easy to imagine them being otherwise. And there could be more worlds than the the one in which we live. Whatever the case, God could not create a world contrary to His own rational nature. As such, some eternal truths, like those of mathematics, that follow from Divine Truth would circumscribe all possible worlds.

That addresses the literal meaning of your question. Now I shall address its sense. Based on the second question, i suspect that you are trying to setup some kind of apparent contradiction based on the idea that all things are foreordained to happen just as they do and no other way. That conclusion requires the support of several presuppositions like atomism and mechanistic causal closure. Based on those dubious presuppositions, which on AF are impossible to dispel, I predict it will not take too long for people to start arguing over the definition of free will to both support and defend their positions and I would rather not engage in semantic disputes this morning.
(October 3, 2016 at 6:32 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: I guess these could apply to Muslims, too.

That's it.

1)what makes you think your reality is the only one created?

2)yes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Moses really write the first few books of the bible? T.J. 30 2116 November 19, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5037 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  questions Christians can't answer Fake Messiah 23 2813 October 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7773 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My Questions For Christians BrianSoddingBoru4 14 1650 May 13, 2018 at 7:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 22321 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  I will be gone for a few days Der/die AtheistIn 2 1159 October 19, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31177 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The real "Christians answering questions" thread Foxaèr 17 2624 May 6, 2016 at 5:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A few choice words id say. dyresand 50 9756 October 9, 2015 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire